Fastrawviewer, Faststone and Windows photo viewer not opening Z8 raw files ?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi, although Lightroom opens the files ok, I cannot get the above programmes to open the raw files. They all say there are errors in the files? I recently changed my PC but tbh cannot be certain that I actually imported any Z8 raw files into these prograames on the old one (only 1 sort shooting session before PC change).

My only other thought is to check the cpu requirement: Intel Celeron, Pentium 4, or Core™ series, 1 GHz or better.

Only other idea is to use NX Studio.

Try the following to see if it "connects" the NEF files with the Codec?​

Windows 10/Windows 11​

1. Right-click an NEF (RAW) image in desktop mode and select Open with program > Windows Photo Viewer.
  2. Confirm that this image is displayed.

Try the following to see if it "connects" the NEF files with the Codec?​

Windows 10/Windows 11​

1. Right-click an NEF (RAW) image in desktop mode and select Open with program > Windows Photo Viewer.
  2. Confirm that this image is displayed.
Thank you, this works for Windows photo viewer - thank you. Still not for windows photos or Faststone or Fastrawviewer alas

Fastrawviewer doesn't support the Z8 yet but its in beta release. If like the Z9 it will not open the RAW but show you the jpg for High Efficiency files. Been down that road. Guessing the same for Faststone which probably needs more time too. For Windows Photos it won't work.

1. The NEF Codec​

The effects of the NEF Codec are not reflected when NEF (RAW) images are displayed in the Microsoft Photos application supplied with Windows 8.1 and later.
    Windows Photo Gallery, Windows Live Photo Gallery, Windows Photo Viewer, and other applications that use the Nikon NEF Codec to display pictures will show the previews embedded in the NEF (RAW) files.

Fastrawviewer doesn't support the Z8 yet but its in beta release. If like the Z9 it will not open the RAW but show you the jpg for High Efficiency files. Been down that road. Guessing the same for Faststone which probably needs more time too. For Windows Photos it won't work.

1. The NEF Codec​

The effects of the NEF Codec are not reflected when NEF (RAW) images are displayed in the Microsoft Photos application supplied with Windows 8.1 and later.
    Windows Photo Gallery, Windows Live Photo Gallery, Windows Photo Viewer, and other applications that use the Nikon NEF Codec to display pictures will show the previews embedded in the NEF (RAW) files.
Thank you very much , so what I'm seeing in Windows Photo Viewer us in embedded jpg then?

Back