Feed me quick!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Here is a difficult one - have tried adjusting shadows etc. in LR and PS, but any more and I will compromise the colour intensity, so am hoping for any tips as to doing much more. Whilst I had thought about trying to clone out the mother's inner eyelid, I decided not to, as that is what happens very often in close encounters like this! D850, 1/3200 sec, ISO 560
_8504224-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

An excellent shot and I think you have done a nice job processing it. As you said, you can only lift the shadows so far before it looks unnatural. For what it’s worth, I dont find the background at all distracting. if you had enough time to set up, it would have been nice to have a lower perspective, but we all know that at times you don’t get much or any warning for a shot like this. If this was my shot I think I would crop just a tiny bit off the top. Congratulations on a very nice picture.

An excellent shot and I think you have done a nice job processing it. As you said, you can only lift the shadows so far before it looks unnatural. For what it’s worth, I dont find the background at all distracting. if you had enough time to set up, it would have been nice to have a lower perspective, but we all know that at times you don’t get much or any warning for a shot like this. If this was my shot I think I would crop just a tiny bit off the top. Congratulations on a very nice picture.
Thanks for your helpful suggestions Woody! I did reduce the blacks in the background and gave it a dose of noise reduction, so it didn't seem to worry me too much. Will try your crop suggestion. I often find that what is a perfectly sharp image on my screen in PS loses sharpness after posting here, unfortunately.

I am with Bal Land on this one. Its a lovely photo but I believe your photo would have been improved if you had a lower angle. While the bg is nice and soft - the birds are not separated enough for me. it affects processing and it is not something that can be changed after the fact.
But if you hadn't asked for crit - the images is good as is.

I am with Bal Land on this one. Its a lovely photo but I believe your photo would have been improved if you had a lower angle. While the bg is nice and soft - the birds are not separated enough for me. it affects processing and it is not something that can be changed after the fact.
But if you hadn't asked for crit - the images is good as is.
Thanks Winston, it wasn't possible to lie down from where I took the image, but I agree lower would be better.

Really nice capture! have you tried playing with the white balance? Sometimes that helps to increase the contrast between the cooler colours on the birds versus the background colours. You could also try to saturate blue only, and then increase whites to increase the contrast on the closer bird, but it could end up looking a bit fake quite easily!

You mentioned about the color intensity, which to me is synonym for saturation. The curve tool in Lightroom now has a refine saturation slider to address that problem. You would adjust your brightness, targeted with a mask if desired, then refine saturation to your liking.

Back