Feeding time for hawks

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Chappy

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I farm in the lower Texas Panhandle east of Lubbock. I often see different wildlife while working in the fields so I carry my camera with me most of the time be it in the truck, tractor, or sprayer. On Friday I had a very interesting event happen right in front of me as I was plowing.

As I was driving to the field in the tractor I saw several different hawks flying in the field. A male and female Northern Harrier, and adult Red Tailed hawk and a immature Red Tailed Hawk. As I got closer I saw that two had landed in the field while one was standing on top of something and the other was a few feet behind the other. When I got close enough i could see that something had killed a Jackrabbit and the female northern harrier was having lunch. The other standing behind him was the immature red tail. I made a round in the field and when I came back I got as close as I could and just stopped and turned off the tractor and opened the cab door and got the camera out and just watched.

The female northern harrier got nervous and took off and then the immature red tail moved in and was quickly scared away as the adult red tail flew low over him. As I continued watching i could see another hawk soaring high. As I watched another large bird came up and got very close to the soaring hawk. It was a chihuahan raven. After he got close the hawk turned and started chasing the raven. While this had been going on the female northern harrier moved in to have some more jackrabbit. As the harrier was eating the raven came flying down low over the harrier and jackrabbit and the harrier watched him closely.

I had my Z8 with the 600pf but wish i would have had my Z9 and 100-400 also.

Here are a few shots.

#1 The adult Red Tail Hawk that i think killed the Jackrabbit.
#2 Male Northern Harrier waiting for his turn at the jackrabbit
#3 Raven flying over the Northern Harrier and Jackrabbit
#4. Northern Harrier watching the Raven closely.
#5. Red Tailed Hawk and Female Northern Harrier. A little soft as I was at a greater distance and weather distortion
#6. Immature Red Tail hovering in the wind over the Jackrabbit.
DSC_9619.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
DSC_0403.jpg
DSC_0294.jpg
DSC_0413.jpg
DSC_0711.jpg
DSC_0627.jpg

Back