Filter questions

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

RichF

Well-known and Infamous Member
Supporting Member
Marketplace
Has anyone used filter that attach via magnetics. I tried the Kase attachments (think that was the name) years ago and found that the attachment was not very strong, i.e., the filter or lens cap would often fall off. Have they or other brand improved recently? Any recommendations of good brands (either to use my own filters or filters w/ magnetic attachments)? Or brands to avoid?

In the magnetic filter game - Kase Wolverine are the best.

Sure there are other brands and cheaper too -- but the glass is not as good and I believe Kase have tried the best of all I have seen to address the No 1 issue .........

Which is no magnetic filter can handle impacts from the side as well as screw in filter do. This is WHY when using filters like these on my Z14-24/2.8 S I also use the Nisi Aluminium lens hood which reduces the effect if side impacts - stopping anything hitting the side of the filers. AND I put the large Nikon Lens cap over the whole thing when wandering about.

Currently I am using a 112mm NISI Pro Nano True colour CPL and a Kase Magnetic Adapter Ring -- which has an upstand on the outside rather than the "free" magnetic adapter ring that comes with the Kase system on the 14-24. I then add one of more Kase ND as necessary and it is great.

I also am trying some filters by Freewell - Glow Mist 1/2 and 1/4 - these are also magnetic and seem good.
The same Nisi hood works on other Nikon lenses as well (50/1.2, and others) and I carry stepping rings to use the same filter set on other lenses which have narrower bodies / filter ring sizes like the 62mm, 72mm and 77mm on my XCD lenses and 105/2.8 Macro. My preference has been to use oversized filters on wider angle lenses to even out the vignetting when adding multiple filters - it makes fixing it later in post easier.

The concern I've had (and I may not understand the product offerings that well) is how to deal with flare, which filters are a good deal more prone to than the lenses themselves. Light hitting the filter, including from light sources that aren't in frame, can introduce haze, flare, and seriously reduce contrast. With a screw in filter the obvious solution is to put the lens hood on. The OEM lens hoods don't seem to be compatible with that strategy with magnetic filters, however. (Or I don't understand the products I've looked at)

Back