Finally, the right bag, I think.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

gpsman

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I purchased a 200-500mm lens and all of a sudden, I realized, I have to transport this new system. I have a Domke F2 and love it. A great bag for smaller lenses. Problem: I had to detach the lens from the camera for transport. Big opportunity for dust . I didn’t want a backpack. I searched all over and finally came up with what I think is the perfect solution for me. The Think Tank Retrospective 30 ver 2.0. $$$$ but a well made shoulder bag.

Any thoughts? anyone else have a different solution? I know there are a lot of options.

My 200-500 came with an ape case (as I bought it used from a dealer). There is enough room to mount my D500 and store it all in the bag, but I would not necessarily want to carry that setup for any distance or amount of time even though it has a decent shoulder strap.

--Ken

Last edited:
Any thoughts? anyone else have a different solution? I know there are a lot of options.
When it comes to carrying larger lenses/ a lot of lenses, shoulder bags will end up being a pain in the ... shoulders.
Backpacks are the way to go.

IMO, good backpacks for larger lenses should follow these rules:
- should open at the back so if you put it on the ground it doesn't get dirty on the part where it makes contact with your back.
- should have a well padded belt so you can transfer gear weight from your back/shoulder to your hips.
- adjustable and well padded straps are a must.
- a dedicated interior for camera with lot of modularity.

The Mindshift Backlight seem to fit the best these rules (I think the 18L is enough for a 200-500 if you don't plan on carrying a lot of other lenses). A bit expensive though.
The Lowepro Flipside 400 AW is a good and cheaper alternative but you should go for the II version instead of III as that one has a lot of cost cutting.

I agree with Stefan, a shoulder bag for a heavy lens like the Nikon 200-500 is an invitation for neck pain. I prefer using a good backpack with shoulder and waist support to carry my field gear. It’s far more comfortable and practical to carry equipment than shoulder bags. I do have a shoulder bag, but only use it for my iPad, wallet, glasses, etc., not heavy camera equipment. While there are undoubtedly better (and more expensive) photo backpacks in the market, I use the simple Promaster Impulse ($99), and have been very satisfied with it.

Backpack. To carry a heavy shoulder bag, one must raise that shoulder and adjust shoulder and back muscles to balance the weight hanging off to the side.

Ever notice women who always carried their purse via a shoulder strap? Yep.....one shoulder is almost always higher even when just walking without carrying anything. Add to that eventual neck/back pain......not for me.

A good, comfortable belt on a backpack will put the weight on the hips and legs....not the back.
YMMV.....

I have a backpack for long distance traveling. But for compactness and consolidation, the shoulder bag is just convenient. I only take the 200-500 and camera, and batteries. From house to car and then to site, the shoulder bag makes it easy for me. The shoulder strap on the think tank is very wide with a padded slider. So, comfortable for what I do. I leave the bag in the car and hook up to my black rapid for the hike. When I return to the car , I just place the camera/ lens right into the bag. No separating camera from lens. Easy-peasy.

I think it comes down to what you like. I got used to my Domke F2 , so shoulder bags are ok for me. When I start leaning and tilting to one side. I’ll reconsider the backpack. Lol

Thanks for all the feedback.

I have a backpack for long distance traveling. But for compactness and consolidation, the shoulder bag is just convenient. I only take the 200-500 and camera, and batteries. From house to car and then to site, the shoulder bag makes it easy for me. The shoulder strap on the think tank is very wide with a padded slider. So, comfortable for what I do. I leave the bag in the car and hook up to my black rapid for the hike. When I return to the car , I just place the camera/ lens right into the bag. No separating camera from lens. Easy-peasy.

I think it comes down to what you like. I got used to my Domke F2 , so shoulder bags are ok for me. When I start leaning and tilting to one side. I’ll reconsider the backpack. Lol

Thanks for all the feedback.
I use my backpack for what you are doing........I don't need a separate bag. Backpack transports gear to and from vehicle. Sits in the vehicle while I'm out shooting. And my backpack hold a few other lenses in case I want to shoot macro, wide angle or landscape.

For city walking, I have a smaller backpack that holds (barely!) my 14-24/2.8, 24-70/2.8, 100-400 and Sig 15mm fish and Z9 and FTZ II. Once I take out the Z9 and a lens, the weight isn't bad for walking around a city.

I much prefer backpacks, too. I have a Mindshift backpack 26 liter that, with some of the dividers removed, can hold a body with the 200-500 attached, another body with a shorter lens like the 300 f/4 PF attached, an 18-50, spare batteries, spare cards, etc. It also fits under the seat as a carry on when flying. It's well made and has lasted around 5 years with little wear to this point. That's using in 2-3 times a week on average. It's easy on the shoulders. I should add that I can also carry a laptop or tablet in a separate pocket.

The TT bag is only 11" tall inside. Is that going to be enough for a 200-500 with a body? The lens alone is 10.5" long.

When I hike with my "big lens" (currently Z9+500PF+1.4x) I transport the lens in a dedicated bag and leave that in the car. I use a shoulder strap attached to the lens' tripod foot to carry the big lens/body in the field, hung at my hip. I add a separate, Peak Design sling bag if I'm bringing any other gear. (Typically a 24-200 or a minimal Fuji X kit.) I can cinch the sling to my back, where it becomes very light, and out of the way of the 500PF.

I found there's almost no non-backpacks available that are designed to carry a body with a lens the size (especially hood thickness) of the 500PF or 200-500 and other lenses. Especially if you're using a TC and/or a gripped body. Most shoulder bags max out at a 70-200 or 100-400. The 500PF and 200-500 are significantly bigger. My only shoulder bag that can handle the 500PF+Z9 is my ThinkTank Urban Disguise 35, but that is a giant, pendulous thing that is better for transporting stuff than carrying it in the field.

The Think Tank Digital Holster 150 might work for you. The in and out configuration is a bit different than the Retrospective but it is still more compact than a backpack, has some padding, can be worn over the shoulder, and has various pockets for extra batteries and such. I have a couple of different Digital Holsters and use them for transport and in the field.

The Think Tank Digital Holster 150 might work for you. The in and out configuration is a bit different than the Retrospective but it is still more compact than a backpack, has some padding, can be worn over the shoulder, and has various pockets for extra batteries and such. I have a couple of different Digital Holsters and use them for transport and in the field.
Thanks DRM. I’ll check into the holster. Never really looked at them.

I use my backpack for what you are doing........I don't need a separate bag. Backpack transports gear to and from vehicle. Sits in the vehicle while I'm out shooting. And my backpack hold a few other lenses in case I want to shoot macro, wide angle or landscape.

My method too.

Ruggard Alpine 600 Lens Backpack for DSLR and 600/800mm Lens (Black) https://a.co/d/4hMS9wC

I bought the bag above as a lower cost way to transport my Z9 with 800 PF mounted because I didn’t want to carry two separate bags to local locations. The bag is much better than I expected for the price with enough space and protection. I think it’s a great solution to transport long lenses mounted to the body but not to carry additional lenses.

I have also resolved to settle on a core solution, but using 2 bags after trying too many ! As posted earlier this year I finalized on a pair of f-Stop backpacks: Sukha for the full-monty on long trips, adding a Pelican Air if there are extreme wet or dusty conditions.

Otherwise it is the fStop Tilopa, the new Dura model has several excellent updates. It carries up to 2 Pro cameras, 180-400 TC14, 800 PF, 70-200 f2.8, 14-30 f4S, 24-120 f4S plus TC's, with lots room for other accessories. If i'm carrying a camera and couple of lenses, there's always other stuff, so Tilopa has the flexibility packing with a Square or Pro ICU, or hatchpacking both.
After a couple of years of trying out several options, the fStop system has many advantages, including the ICUs (that can be used in most backpacks in fact)
https://shuttermuse.com/f-stop-icu-size-guide/#small-pro-icu

Last edited:
When it comes to carrying larger lenses/ a lot of lenses, shoulder bags will end up being a pain in the ... shoulders.
Backpacks are the way to go.

IMO, good backpacks for larger lenses should follow these rules:
- should open at the back so if you put it on the ground it doesn't get dirty on the part where it makes contact with your back.
- should have a well padded belt so you can transfer gear weight from your back/shoulder to your hips.
- adjustable and well padded straps are a must.
- a dedicated interior for camera with lot of modularity.

The Mindshift Backlight seem to fit the best these rules (I think the 18L is enough for a 200-500 if you don't plan on carrying a lot of other lenses). A bit expensive though.
The Lowepro Flipside 400 AW is a good and cheaper alternative but you should go for the II version instead of III as that one has a lot of cost cutting.
Backpack...I have a hip issue from carrying babies on one hip/shoulder/sling so not sure I would load my shoulder in an uneven way again.

I have both of these bags and support the information given. The Mindshift just fits my body and I have the larger one for my 600mm. Just can't beat it. Its comfortable with lots of weight for long distances. If I am on landscape outing and don't need that much space, I use the Lowepro Flipside 400 AW II. Great bag.

Oooh, bags! I have an addiction. :LOL:

So I have the 200-500, and it fits in one of my favorite backpacks - the Lowepro Flipside 300 AWII. It will fit with the lens hood reversed and attached to either my old D7200, or, my Z6II (grip'd or un-grip'd) and that includes the extra 1" for the FTZ adapter.

If you want a little extra room, just get the 400 AWII instead. I agree with other comments here that a shoulder bag + long heavy lens is not an ideal setup, but that's also subjective. I lugged around a heavy Domke shoulder bag for years (2 grip'd film bodies, 4 heavy metal lenses, accessories) so other than my 8L sling, I'm all about backpacks now.

That said, as far as shoulder bags go - the Think Tank Retrospective line is absolutely top quality and amazingly well designed.

Looks like a great bag for day use. FYI if you find the padding not sufficient they were great when I reached out to Think Tank. I have the Mindshift 13 Sling and when I tried using it for two weeks straight on a trip it was too much. They happily sent me additional padding at no charge. Great service.

Hey there! I just stumbled upon this thread and wanted to chime in. I'm new to this forum, so please forgive me if I'm a bit late to the party. Firstly, congratulations on finding the perfect bag! The Think Tank Retrospective 30 ver 2.0 sounds like a great choice. I personally haven't used it, but I've heard great things about Think Tank bags. As for other options, have you considered leather bags? I recently discovered vonbaer.com and they have some really beautiful leather camera bags. They may be a bit pricier, but the quality and style are definitely worth it. Again, I'm not sure if this is something you're interested in, but I thought I'd throw it out there. Overall, I think it's important to find a bag that suits your needs and workflow.

Last edited:
Back