If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Robin

I did cock it up as I had also switched from Canon. I managed to retrieve this image of a beautiful Kestrel
Kestrel 1.5 2.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
Thanks to the 300pf and 1.4 conveter

Very nice Robin!

FWIW, I made that switch a couple of years ago after decades of shooting in aperture priority or full manual mode. Now I shoot about 90% of my images in Manual/Auto Iso with the remainder in full manual mode. I really like having direct control over both aperture and shutter speed and allowing ISO to float within a set range.

Very nice Robin!

FWIW, I made that switch a couple of years ago after decades of shooting in aperture priority or full manual mode. Now I shoot about 90% of my images in Manual/Auto Iso with the remainder in full manual mode. I really like having direct control over both aperture and shutter speed and allowing ISO to float within a set range.
I totally Agree!!👍👍👍It’s the best.

Very nice Robin!

It dawned on me how many shots I missed by having too low speed especially as I got a nosebleed over 400 ISO. Like you luvving it now should have done it ages ago. Thanks for your comments Robin.

Very nice shot, Robin . Most of the time I shoot using Auto ISO too.
Irap thank you for nice comments. I m getting slightly better now (not always) but wondering about having the exposure in the view finder , might be helpful .
Down side would be having 3different cameras to contend with Derr!

One day I hope all my cock-ups will as gorgeous as this shot ;)

I am starting to transition as well to full manual with auto-iso coming from Av with Utopia's-iso and it is a learning curve but like everybody else, I feel it will be worth it.

Beautiful shot Robin the detail and colours are excellent ... You said you had made the switch from Canon , which of the Nikon bodies did you go for ?

Harry.G
Hi Harry I like cropped sensors so the D 500 was my choice and I am very pleased with it so much that I’m thinking of a second one for my other Pf.
I still have my Canon gear because of the investment in Canon glass.
Harry, thank you for your comments Robin.

One day I hope all my cock-ups will as gorgeous as this shot ;)

I am starting to transition as well to full manual with auto-iso coming from Av with Utopia's-iso and it is a learning curve but like everybody else, I feel it will be worth it.
FB many thanks for your comments.
To me going manual makes me think a little more, keeping me more involved with my photography . I’m sure you’re making the right move , have fun.

What “range” of ISO are you comfortable with? I’d hate to miss a shot due to too low an upper limit on my D500.
Do you set a different limit depending on the subject ( BIF, landscape, etc. ) ?

What “range” of ISO are you comfortable with? I’d hate to miss a shot due to too low an upper limit on my D500.
Do you set a different limit depending on the subject ( BIF, landscape, etc. ) ?
Hi Dmacfari , I sort of think you have answered your own question in that it’s the Iso you are comfortable with.
Typically I did not like much over 400 on my Canon but I feel the D500 is better coupled with that I have Topaz DeNoise giving more tolerance. So for me my limit is 3200 for normal daylight shooting.
I only shoot Wildlife but would consider going higher for something like bears at night.
I would experiment and see what you are prepared to put up with.
I think Steve mentions setting s on his Auto Iso vid on you tube
Cheerz Robin.

My first DSLR was the Nikon D500. I bought it in August. I started from the beginning using manual/auto ISO. My ISO limits are native 100 - 4000. I fine they can clean up pretty good. I did just shoot a rodeo indoors with poor lighting and I allowed it to go to 6400. They cleaned up well enough that a lot of people that were at the rodeo bought copies. I've it's been a lot of time and shot a lot of images with the d500. A little over 8,000 to date. I use back button auto focus with one button set at single point/continuous and another set at d25/continuous. My backup camera is a d7500.

As I remember the Kestrel was way over exposed with an Iso of 5000 (not capped at that time ) and over a stop of compensation, as I say cocked up.
I reckon my savings grace was the fact that it was quite good light and had no burnt highlights . Taking Raw gave me the opportunity.
I was amazed how well it developed with no special editing making me think about exposing to the right more often?