First Hour with Z85/1.2S

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Nimi

Noob Forever
Supporting Member
Marketplace
Best 85 I've ever used. Not sure how applicable it is to nature photography, but in the studio it's 100%. Compared to the Z85/1.8 which rarely left body #1, it predictably has smoother transition from IF to OOF regions as well luminosity fall-off (smooth contrast). Separation is naturally better. Picked up the lens at 2, had a shot delivered to a client at 4, so no neither time nor real motivation to do an extensive comparison. Lots more shooting next few days and I'll compile the results and add to this thread.

so far i really like the effect shooting at 1.2, but i will note that the super shallow dof when shooting up close revealed some hiccups in the z9's eye detection with CERTAIN dogs.

that is to say, the dof is so thin you see mistakes the camera is making with pinpointing the eyes that you didn't notice before.

the camera seems to do well with my black lab "normal dog", and it seems to miss the eyes pretty often with my black, shaggy golden mix.

i didn't know it was missing till i got back to the computer.

as an aside, we saw something similar with the initial product announcement for the a1 where one of the images used to show off the camera was actually a focus miss

Back