First lens /camera choice for bird wildlife in uk

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

So next question i would like to ask is what would your choice of lens and body be if you was starting out wildlife photography mainly birds, I'm currently using Sony A1+600mm f4 as wanting something lighter , excluding any heavy and expensive lens ie 600mm f4 . many thanks

As you implied in the previous thread, the Nikon Z8 and 800pf would seem to meet your needs. If weight is the most important concern then there are some who are getting excellent results from the OM-1 system.

The A1 has the best subject detection for all but the Sony a7 III camera. In terms of light lenses one has to go to Nikon with its 400mm f/4.5, 600mm PF, 800mm PF, and even its new 28-400mm zoom.

As mentioned the MFT Olympus/OM-1 lenses weigh half as much as their full frame counterparts and cost a great deal less. For prints up to 20x14 in size the image quality and resolution are more than adequate. There are some features like pre-capture Raw that are still not available from Nikon at this time.

Why not simply add the 200-600 Sony zoom to your kit and sell the 600f4. You'll be about 6#. A Nikon Z-8 and a 600pf is a bit more than 5# while an OM Systems OM-1 300f4 is about 4.5#, An OM-1/100-400 is 4#+

I don't believe that the A1's subject detection is better than the new OM-1 BUT it is a FF camera while the OM-1 is m43.

I believe in terms of IQ the Nikon Z-8/600pf leads the way while the OM-1/300f4 is close except in low light. I believe that the A1/200-600 is better in low light than the OM-1 300f4 but not in proper light when serious cropping is unnecessary.

Since England can often be dreary I would pass on the Om-1/100-400 unless you really want the light weight and go for the Sony 200-600.

Tom

You stated what we would choose as a FIRST camera lens combo. I take that to mean a good beginner’s combo. A few combos come to mind.
  • Canon R7 + 100-500mm lens (or 100-400mm f5.6-8 if budget is tight)
  • OM System OM-1 Mk.II + 100-400mm Zuiko
  • Lumix G9 Mk.II + 100-400mm PanaLeica
  • Sony a6700 + Tamron 150-500 (or Sony 70-350 to save on cost and reduce weight)
All of the above camera bodies are supposed to have fast, reliable AF. The lenses are supposed to be good optically.

Just my $0.02 CDN.

For light weight and good images, take a close look at the Olympus OM-1 or OM1 ii and an Olympus 100-400mm lens. I use an older Olympus body with that lens and they produce superb images. Buying Olympus MFT gear will lighten the load on your back and arms, but your wallet will be heavier.

I shoot the same combo, A1 + 600GM and optionally the 1.4TC
There is only one real option to replace it with if you want to lose a bit of size and quite a bit of weight, and that is the Nikon 800PF.
All the other options are compromises in the UK type of light.
I know because I don't live that far away on mainland europe.
Slow lenses are nice for africa or florida or austalia, but not for the UK.

The 800PF is rather slow at f6.3, but it fills so much of the frame that you should be ok.
600PF or any f6.3 consumer lens is going to produce flat images most of the year where you live, it would be just tóó much of a step back from the 600GM.

I have been looking for a lighter alternative for a year, and feel, based on experience, it just isn't worth it.
So I lug the 600GM around and save up for a Nikon Z8+800PF combo.
I would add the 800PF though, not replace the Sony 600GM with it.
There are (many) moments here in the grey dull light, where f4 is really needed.
When light allows, the 800PF would be a great lighter option.

Last edited:
I shoot the same combo, A1 + 600GM and optionally the 1.4TC
There is only one real option to replace it with if you want to lose a bit of size and quite a bit of weight, and that is the Nikon 800PF.
All the other options are compromises in the UK type of light.
I know because I don't live that far away on mainland europe.
Slow lenses are nice for africa or florida or austalia, but not for the UK.

The 800PF is rather slow at f6.3, but it fills so much of the frame that you should be ok.
600PF or any f6.3 consumer lens is going to produce flat images most of the year where you live, it would be just tóó much of a step back from the 600GM.

I have been looking for a lighter alternative for a year, and feel, based on experience, it just isn't worth it.
So I lug the 600GM around and save up for a Nikon Z8+800PF combo.
I would add the 800PF though, not replace the Sony 600GM with it.
There are (many) moments here in the grey dull light, where f4 is really needed.
When light allows, the 800PF would be a great lighter option.
Thanks Chris much appreciated.

Back