First Post: Tricolor Hybrid?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Platalea ajaja

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I found Steve several years ago and devoured all things Nikon that he offered. His books and videos were extremely educational for me. I purchased everything he put out until he published his first Nikon mirrorless guide as I was not shooting mirrorless. I joined the forums the week he started them but never did post anything. And of course promptly forgot what I used for email/username/password etc. to register. So I reregistered and figured I better post something before CRS kicks in again.

This shot was taken at the Merritt Island NWR up by Cape Canaveral in the spring of 2020. It's been a regular visitor (I'm told) for three years running at the time. I have not been back in the spring since to see if he is still here.

The general consensus is that it is a Tri-color/Snowy hybrid but that has not been verified. I suspect it is correct, as he is aggressive to other Tri-colors and snowy's, but who knows. And does it matter? Cool bird.

I wish I could have gotten a bit of a lower angle, but if you have been to Merritt Island NWR, you know that's a bit difficult at best.

Any and all critiques are welcome. Always looking to get better. Thanks for looking.

2020-N-0189.JPG
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I’d agree with Snowy Egret x Teicolored Heron hybrid.

This is a really nice shot! Love the pose, composition, and background. Reflection is nice as well. I might try removing a few of the darker water ripples in the Background. It looks like it could use a slight degree of CCW rotation, but it took me a minute to notice that. The lighting is really nice, and it looks really nicely processed. Whites look fantastic! Details and noise control is super nice!

Thanks for the input BAL. Yes, I have a problem with nearly all of my photos requiring a bit of CCW rotation, not sure if it's a result of being "left eyed" or just poor technique but I can't seem to eliminate the issue. Without a horizon, it's not always clear how much to adjust to rectify the situation. But I agree, it needs a few more degrees CCW.

The bird never chases great white egrets, reddish etc. Just TCs and Snowy's, so I am inclined to agree with the assumption of his/her heritage.

Thanks for looking and the feedback.

Rather than a hybrid it might be a leucistic individual, either tricolored or little blue. Leucism is a condition where all or portions of an animal or bird lack pigment; it's common in some species and rare in others. I've photographed leucistic common crows, white-tailed deer and dark-eyed juncos, all of which are fairly common. Whatever it is, without a DNA test nobody will ever know what it actually is. In any case, you got a good photo of a rarity.

That is a real possibility Woody, didn't even think of it. Just jumped on the bandwagon of the opinion of the guys I spoke with that had been following it for several years. But yeah, only a DNA test will tell the real story. And in the end, at least for me, it really doesn't matter. Just felt fortunate to get a chance to see it and take a few shots.

Thanks Karen! Appreciate the feedback.

Interesting looking bird…but I really wonder about the hybrid as it looks much more like a changeling Little Blue to me except for the single color beak. Plus…I wonder why a Snowy and a Tricolor would mate anyway…both are pretty common anywhere down here in FL so it wasn't like they couldn't find their own kind to mate with. OTOH, it does have the funny looking sticks out of the back of its head feathers like a Tricolor does. And…if it's been there 3 years in a row it's an adult and so obviously not a changeling Little Blue…so who knows?

When I pulled up someone was photographing the bird and it was not in a good position or light. And my thought was "why are they bothering to photograph that immature little blue?". Once I got closer I realized that is not what it was. It's not an immature little blue. For one, it's simply too large. Now as to what it is for sure? As mentioned, not way to tell for sure without a DNA test.

The only evidence I see is that it does not harass little blues, great whites, etc. But Snowy's and Tri-Colors? Either of those get in his space and he reacts every time.

But in the end, not sure it really matters at least to me. Just a pretty darn cool bird no matter what I think. But a little blue it is not, I'm quite sure about that.

Thanks for looking Anjin.

When I pulled up someone was photographing the bird and it was not in a good position or light. And my thought was "why are they bothering to photograph that immature little blue?". Once I got closer I realized that is not what it was. It's not an immature little blue. For one, it's simply too large. Now as to what it is for sure? As mentioned, not way to tell for sure without a DNA test.

The only evidence I see is that it does not harass little blues, great whites, etc. But Snowy's and Tri-Colors? Either of those get in his space and he reacts every time.

But in the end, not sure it really matters at least to me. Just a pretty darn cool bird no matter what I think. But a little blue it is not, I'm quite sure about that.

Thanks for looking Anjin.
We’ve got a couple of changeling little blues at our pond out back that at first glance look too big…and there’s nothing for scale in the shot but if you think it’s too big for that I’m not going to disagree…and it is a striking bird. I figure that hybrids are likely possible…but down here I would wonder why either would cross breed given the abundance of possible partners. The beak really isn’t quite right for the changeling either and the blue isn’t really dark enough as well…so either the hybrid or some sort of strange feather coloration seems a decent choice…I’m sure my old college ornithologist prof could properly identify it for us.

Thanks for the input BAL. Yes, I have a problem with nearly all of my photos requiring a bit of CCW rotation, not sure if it's a result of being "left eyed" or just poor technique but I can't seem to eliminate the issue. Without a horizon, it's not always clear how much to adjust to rectify the situation. But I agree, it needs a few more degrees CCW.

The bird never chases great white egrets, reddish etc. Just TCs and Snowy's, so I am inclined to agree with the assumption of his/her heritage.

Thanks for looking and the feedback.
If you are using a DSLR - the issue may come from a non-aligned viewfinder screen, meaning that your viewfinder frame and/or the grid lines are a little bit rotated with respect to the sensor.
I had that issue with both, my old D70 and D90 cameras. Nikon service can fix that if necessary.
Just check on a tripod. Align some horizontal line in the viewfinder carefully, using the grid lines, and check if there is any rotation in the digital image.

I'm no expert, but I would have guessed this was a juvenile little blue, but not if it's been there three years running. Also the beak color is wrong and the way the feathers come part way down the legs is wrong for a juvenile little blue. So I'm stumped, but it is a nice image.

That was my first thought also until I got out of the truck and took a closer look. At that point, I said, nope, ain't no immature little blue and I am confident you would have the same reaction if seen in person.

My understanding is this guy (girl?) has a SM group that has followed him/her up the east coast (all the way to Maine I believe) for three years at the time of this picture (two years ago, not sure if he is still around). Large following with essentially no one that has seen him in person concluding it's a LBH. It is not a juvenile/immature little blue heron, of that I am quite sure, but clearly a natural first impression to have.

Thanks for looking and the kind words Fred.

Back