First spring flower images with the Nikon Z9

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Viathelens

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I'm not sure the images from the Z9 are quite what I expected. Have only had a small amount of time to shoot with it yet. I just popped the battery in today, Tuesday. I started with some flowers just to see what the camera images would look like. I think I expected a sharper, more crisp image but these were hand held and at a slow shutter speed. Anyway, here are some spring flower images.
CCassinettoRedFox-0003.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
CCassinettoRedFox-0006.jpg
CCassinettoRedFox-0037.jpg
CCassinettoRedFox-0039.jpg
CCassinettoRedFox-0044.jpg

I see what you are talking about. Number 3 looks pretty good. Is it possible you were just a little too close for the lens to focus? Your shutter speeds seem within what I would consider reasonable for a 24-70mm mostly shot at 70mm. Especially with IBIS in the Z9.

Something is askew, hope you get it straightened out. Hopefully some of the Z9 owners here will chime in with suggestions.

Jeff

I see what you are talking about. Number 3 looks pretty good. Is it possible you were just a little too close for the lens to focus? Your shutter speeds seem within what I would consider reasonable for a 24-70mm mostly shot at 70mm. Especially with IBIS in the Z9.

Something is askew, hope you get it straightened out. Hopefully some of the Z9 owners here will chime in with suggestions.

Jeff
I do tend to get too up close and personal. Will have more time tomorrow to work it all out.

I'll throw this out there but I may be way off base. I have found, at least for myself, that when shooting macro/close up photos, a tripod is necessary. Even when using an autofocusing lens, I get way more keepers when using the tripod over going hand-held.

I was not commenting so much on the sharpness, which I can correct, but that the images don't seem to have the "snap" that I see on other mirrorless cameras, even on my Z7. I should have upped the shutter speed which will fix the sharpness. I don't think the image have the same tone I've seen on other mirrorless cameras, but again I'll take some more shots on Wednesday (and up my shutter speed).

I think you have a bit of dreaminess going due to the wide open apertures. If you want a more contrasty image you might stop down to f/8 or so.

If you're looking for straight out of camera (SOOC) JPEG results, I'd suggest going into Nikon's Picture Style settings and fiddling with the sharpness, clarity, and contrast settings a bit. A little nudge on those settings will get you JPEGs that look really nice, no Lightroom required.

Glad to see the flowers coming out! Thanks for sharing, I'm really excited for this Spring. We've had mostly 40° days here, and not much is budding yet.

Back