Fixing Sony 140GM lens collar knob

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi y'all, I would like to share a little repair job.

Two weeks ago I was in Yosemite National Park to take pictures of Firefall, in the middle of it, the 100-400mm G Master lens got stuck when I tried to rotate the lens collar ring. It just became so hard to turn, I thought I was going to break it.

After I got home I did a search on Youtube to find it's the lens collar knob wearing out. Credit goes to Malcolm Walker for his excellent video guidance.

Oliver

sony140GM01.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

On the left is the worn out knob piece, on the right is the new improved design: now it's the alumnim piece.

NOTE the part number.

sony140GM05.jpg

I used a small flat head screw driver to push out the cap, need the screw

Go Slow, this thing can fly.

Malcolm used a sharp knife CAREFULLY shaved off a tiny bit of the new knob so that the screw can sit in fully. I think I will go a different method.

sony140GM07.jpg

I got the 100-400GM lens as soon as it came out, since then it's been one of my most used travel & nature wild life lens. It was used for landscape photography extensively along with 24-70mm.

It's light, compact, the image quality is great.

Here are a few shots I have taken.

Oliver

Great Egret

Pelicans

Bluebirds

24 BRC03283YosemiteFirefall45CropBCG.jpg

Back