Fixing wrong shutter speed with processing

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Both of these photos were taken at the end of the day. Both images suffer from the same problem, that is, wrong shutter speed. As a consequence, the RAW great blue heron photo is a little short on detail and the RAW owl image has motion blur. Hopefully, I managed through processing to minimize the consequences of my lazy camera work. Let me know what you think.
_DSC0150_001_01-jpeg.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
_DSC9150_001-jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. I think its always difficult to closely examine images that have been exported and then uploaded to a web platform to be viewed on my laptop. It would be really interesting to see before and after images and to know what post-processing you have done.
That being said I like the detail in the heron image although I'm not sure if the necks of both birds may look a bit too uniform?
The face of the owl is nicely detailed but the detail on the feathers of the bodydoes look a little smeary.

The main thing however is whether you are happy with the results and whether they provide you with a positive reminder of a couple of nice encounters.

Thanks for sharing. I think its always difficult to closely examine images that have been exported and then uploaded to a web platform to be viewed on my laptop. It would be really interesting to see before and after images and to know what post-processing you have done.
That being said I like the detail in the heron image although I'm not sure if the necks of both birds may look a bit too uniform?
The face of the owl is nicely detailed but the detail on the feathers of the bodydoes look a little smeary.

The main thing however is whether you are happy with the results and whether they provide you with a positive reminder of a couple of nice encounters.
The neck detail on the GBHs bothers me too. It looks a little weird. Maybe the camera got the detail it was going to get as that part of the neck tends to have softer feathers and the necks are also scrunched up. I would only know if I can compare with an image shot at a slower shutter speed.

I see what you're saying about the feather detail on the owl's neck. That's probably the part of the owl's body that moved the most when I took the picture which explains the motion blur. I think I managed to minimize the blur on the owl's face however. That leaves me with two questions: 1. is the face sharp enough? 2. does the blurred neck look incongruous with the rest of the body?

Last edited:
It's strange the first one says 1/ 3200. No way should there be motion blur of a still subject. Also I think the denoise maybe left some artifacts?
The GBH image doesn't have a motion blur problem. The owl image does. In the case of the GBH image, I should have used a slower shutter speed; in the case of the owl image, I should have used a faster shutter speed. My problem is that I can be lazy when changes in the situation require different settings.

Last edited:
The GBH image doesn't have a motion blur problem. The owl image does. In the case of the GBH image, I should have used a slower shutter speed; in the case of the owl image, I should have used a faster shutter speed. My problem is that I can be lazy when changes in the situation require different settings.

I'm not 100% sure the second one has a motion blur problem. I think maybe the AF caught those blades of grass in the foreground instead of the owl.

The neck detail on the GBHs bothers me too. Maybe the camera got the detail it was going to get as that part of the neck tends to have softer feathers and the necks are also scrunched up. I would only know if I can compare with an image shot at a slower shutter speed.

The feather detail on the owl is a result of short focal distance. This may sound controversial but that doesn't bother me too much.

I'm not 100% sure the second one has a motion blur problem. I think maybe the AF caught those blades of grass in the foreground instead of the owl.
You could be right but I doubt it. Here's the next photo I took. This hasn't been processed. The untouched face is much clearer but still has the weird body feather thing ponkiwi calls to attention. Sadly, if the top of the owl's head hadn't been cut off, I would have worked with this photo instead.

_DSC9151_001 jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
Back