Flashlights For Night Photos

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I am considering buying a flashlight, either a strong LED or an infrared. I know infrared won't bother animals but would likely force me to make all of the photos black and white. I have owls visiting my house all the time at night and the occasional nighttime coyote. It would also be useful for owls in other location. Do you think an LED would scare off owls or blind them? Is it worth making the purchase?

I am considering buying a flashlight, either a strong LED or an infrared. I know infrared won't bother animals but would likely force me to make all of the photos black and white. I have owls visiting my house all the time at night and the occasional nighttime coyote. It would also be useful for owls in other location. Do you think an LED would scare off owls or blind them? Is it worth making the purchase?
I’ve been on a few Audubon owl prowls, and the prowl leaders always carry a flashlight, but never shine it directly at the owl. Rather, they will shine the light to the side or below of where the owl is perched, and the owls never seem to be bothered by it. In fact, they often just hang around (curiosity?). If you decide to try this yourself, please be sure NOT to shine the light directly into the owl’s eyes - it could temporarily blind them which, for night hunters, would be a big problem.

It's good that you ask because I think a lot of photographers don't even think about this (or using a camera flash, which is even more blinding). At night their pupils are dilated which makes the effect worse. I have used a low power flashlight (essentially a penlight) with high ISO on some night creatures such as rattlesnakes and javelinas, but I wouldn't do it on an owl. For serious night photography - some camera traps do this - they use an infrared modified camera and a flash with an infrared cover so it is invisible to the naked eye.

I have used fill flash during the day. I would not use flash at night on nocturnal birds. For one I am not steady on my feet at the best of times, roaming around at night photographing owls is highly likely to be hazardous to me never mind the bird. Another point to consider is 'why do it ?' I take photos for fun, I'll leave it to experts to do the iffy stuff.

We use bright flashlights on Night game drives in private reserves in South Africa.
Far far better than flashes- to find and focus on your subject.
One must NOT shine the light in the eyes of predators (big cats). Just shine the light "near" them.
I would not use bright lights with Birds of Prey.

35347113154_5d3f85798e_k.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

35358985413_e3167348ce_3k.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
Back