Florida - Birding Tips

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

If you want Osprey's fishing, look up some Mark Smith videos. I think he does a lot of shooting and workshops around Sebastian Inlet, north of Vero Beach. Ospreys have been really plentiful all over Florida the last few years, especially so starting in late December when the migratory ones come back to the state.
Why pay extra for a workshop? Is it the only way to use Mark’s boat?

Minnesota photographer and naturalist Sparky Stensaas is well known regionally for his association with the Sax-Zim Bog in northeastern Minnesota. Last summer he went on a birding trip to Florida, which he documented in two excellent YouTube videos. The videos contain suggestions for many locations to view and photograph Florida birds. Below is a link to Sparky’s YouTube channel, where you can find links to both of the videos of his Florida birding adventure.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40wjzW8feFkFvNadvigeA

Last edited:
Why pay extra for a workshop? Is it the only way to use Mark’s boat?
There are two primary reasons to sign up for a workshop or photo tour, IMHO. The first and most important reason is they will take you places you might not easily find on your own, so it improves your chance of getting the shots you want. The second reason is you want to improve your shooting skills under the guidance of a more experienced photographer (the latter you will get in a workshop, but less so in a photo tour). I took a Mark Smith workshop because I wanted to catch Ospreys fishing and wanted to improve the odds I'd be where they were.

I like to plan ahead next year for a trip to Florida to do some bird photography - I've never been, so reaching out here for tips on when and where I should go to get the best experience for bird photography, and as well, what sort of birds would I be looking for.

Thanks!
We spend our winters in central Florida. It is a birder’s paradise! I would suggest Circle B Bar Reserve near Lakeland, Fort DeSoto Beach (North Beach is excellent) and Orlando Wetlands for starters.

My favorite times to go to Florida is between Jan to mid March. Anytime later the bugs will try to eat you alive. As previously mentioned any place that has water you will find Birds. My Number one go to is Vierra Wetlands. You can drive around and shoot from the car or walk (which I tend to see more ). I also like Wakodahatchee for getting tight shots of nesting birds feeding their chicks. It seems there are more variety of Birds in Florida than most anywhere else in the US. We have our fair share here at Bolsa and San Joaquin in Southern California but not the exotics that you find in Florida. Its best to make a list of the species you want then plan locations accordingly.

My favorite times to go to Florida is between Jan to mid March. Anytime later the bugs will try to eat you alive. As previously mentioned any place that has water you will find Birds. My Number one go to is Vierra Wetlands. You can drive around and shoot from the car or walk (which I tend to see more ). I also like Wakodahatchee for getting tight shots of nesting birds feeding their chicks. It seems there are more variety of Birds in Florida than most anywhere else in the US. We have our fair share here at Bolsa and San Joaquin in Southern California but not the exotics that you find in Florida. Its best to make a list of the species you want then plan locations accordingly.
Just a FYI the Viera Wetlands was closed to vehicles last couple times I was there. I know you can walk around or take a bicycle but don't think you can take your car any longer which is sad!

What many people don’t understand about the birding situation in FL is that literally any place where one sees water, they will almost certainly see birds. It’s as close to a sure thing as one can get. Of course there are areas that are more photogenic than others (like all of those listed above and hundreds more), but birds are literally everywhere in the state. I should clarify my remarks a bit by mentioning that my preferred bird species for photography are water birds and raptors. There are hundreds of smaller birds that live in FL, (jays, buntings, cardinals, tits, etc), but I prefer the bigger critters.

As others have mentioned, if you desire useful info for a planned trip, you really do need to narrow down where you’ll be and what you want to see. It’s a large state area wise and unless you want to waste valuable time driving around, it’s probably best to narrow your trip to a relatively small area and then seek out those in the neighborhood who have hands on experience. I live in Sarasota on the west coast and I could keep you busy in a 100 mile radius for at least a week. Don’t try to see it all.

And, of course, if you do find yourself on the west coast of FL, don’t hesitate to pm me. I’d be delighted to set up some great itineraries.

Oh - I agree that Nov - April is generally the best time here for birding, but truth is there are birds here all the time, but hanging around outdoors between May and October is just plain unpleasant.
@RickW Would love some recommendations. Seems I can't send you a private message because I haven't posted 10 times, would you be able to message me? Thanks!

I have been to about 60 hotspots in Florida and can provide a list of them, organized by region. Some are much better than others, and favorites change from year to year for many reasons. As mentioned, the best time is December to April. You have a better chance of getting mating plumage later in that period.

Go to the most visited spots, because the birds there are used to people. You can approach them more closely. In isolated places the birds will take off when they see you.

Currently my favorite spots are
- Lake Apopka wildlife drive (not open every day)
- Gatorland (photographers' pass sometimes in season)
- Merritt Island (Black Pt but also the feeders at the visitors center)
- Orlando Wetlands Park (spoony rookery!)
- Circle B Bar
- Viera Wetlands
- Wakodahatchee (go early for parking)
- Green Cay
- Brian Piccolo (burrowing owls)
- Anhinga Trail (has declined a lot but still good)
- Keys (chance of white morph GBH)
- Shark Valley

Hi Tom, for shore birds my favorite is Fort Desoto Park near St. Petersburg. Other good places for shore birds include Bunche Beach (Fort Myers), Huguenot Memorial Park (Jacksonville) and Honeymoon Island (Dunedin). If you decide on any of these let me know and I can give you specific locations in the parks. If you happen to come in late June I can direct you to locations where you can photograph Black Skimmer colonies with hatching chicks.
@Rookie Roy would you mind sending me a PM so I can pick your brain about Florida? I'm still new to the forums and haven't hit the 10-post requirement to send one on my own.

I have been to about 60 hotspots in Florida and can provide a list of them, organized by region. Some are much better than others, and favorites change from year to year for many reasons. As mentioned, the best time is December to April. You have a better chance of getting mating plumage later in that period.

Go to the most visited spots, because the birds there are used to people. You can approach them more closely. In isolated places the birds will take off when they see you.

Currently my favorite spots are
- Lake Apopka wildlife drive (not open every day)
- Gatorland (photographers' pass sometimes in season)
- Merritt Island (Black Pt but also the feeders at the visitors center)
- Orlando Wetlands Park (spoony rookery!)
- Circle B Bar
- Viera Wetlands
- Wakodahatchee (go early for parking)
- Green Cay
- Brian Piccolo (burrowing owls)
- Anhinga Trail (has declined a lot but still good)
- Keys (chance of white morph GBH)
- Shark Valley
Post the list here if you like…I’m sure Steve won’t care and even those of us who live here probably don’t know all the spots.

Spoonbills, Wood Storks, Green Heron, Tri-colored Heron, Great Egret, Great Blue Heron, Eagles, Osprey, Kingfisher, Reddish Egret, Red Tail Hawk, Little Blue Heron, Anhinga's, White Pelicans, Cattle Egret and probably a bunch I can't remember at the moment also. Lots of chicks with parents feeding them.
Also, depending on location, Bald Eagle, Red-Shouldered Hawk, Snail Kite, Burrowing Owl, Great Horned Owl, etc.

Here are some map graphics showing birding locations in Florida. The places vary a lot and some might be duds when you visit. For sure the birds move around. The maps just cover part of the state for now. I'm a bit short of time so followups might be delayed. I know some of the labels are covered. One of the most important is Wakodahatchee which is under Green Cay.

Orlando area
1 Orlando.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Sebastian
2 Sebastian.jpg

Palm Beach
3 Palm Beach.jpg

Miami
4 Miami.jpg

Everglades
5 Everglades.jpg

Last edited:
Ft Desoto is on the Bradenton map.

My maps are not complete. They are works in progress.

Bradenton
6 Bradenton.jpg

Venice
7 Venice.jpg

Ft Myers. Look carefully and you will see Corkscrew (overcommercialized IMO)
8 Ft Myers.jpg

Naples
8 Naples.jpg

Back