Florida peoples: do you ever get bored?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

MatthewK

Supporting Member
Marketplace
So I live in Wisconsin. It's great here for 3-4 months for birding, but the rest of the year it's crap. The winters are unbearably dull. My wife and I regularly talk about moving to Florida, and this morning over coffee she asked a pretty interesting question I haven't thought of:

For those of you who live in Florida, surrounded by what I assume to be endless birds and wildlife, do you ever reach a point where you've seen it all and become bored? Does it become so commonplace that you start taking it for granted? Do you eventually start exploring other places to visit or live, just to see new stuff?

The grass is always greener, and from here in the tundra that's quite literal at this point in time, but is Florida as great as it's made out to be? Like, right now, if you go outside, are there troves of birds just asking to have their photos taken? Because even in the best times of year here in Wisconsin, it's never automatic, there's NEVER an easy day where birds just fall over themselves to get in front of your camera. What's the reality of the situation? If I move there, I assume I could become a master bird photographer and Youtube star because there'd be a plethora of drop dead simple subject matter at my beck and call.

So, just some coffee time musings I've had as of late as we explore our housing options in the Tampa/St. Pete area ;)

I traveled to Florida for about 3-4 years in a row for several weeks each year......and actually got tired of shooting white birds! o_O I exaggerate- but only a little. LOL!

I wanted to see different species and different environments. 4 trips to Africa and now I'm again looking for new experiences. So the hunt for new locales continue.

And - I'm ready to go back to Florida now.

My guess is with the broader variety and greater numbers of birds in FL (and TX, etc.), the short term would be non-stop excitement. Longer term, the human mind has an amazing capacity to normalize our environment and seek new things (aka, get bored with what we've got). It takes an unusual human to recognize this and find effective ways to deal with it constructively.

I would love to hear FL residents' thoughts, but my guess is many of them head to Yellowstone and other locals for some variety!

So I live in Wisconsin. It's great here for 3-4 months for birding, but the rest of the year it's crap. The winters are unbearably dull. My wife and I regularly talk about moving to Florida, and this morning over coffee she asked a pretty interesting question I haven't thought of:

For those of you who live in Florida, surrounded by what I assume to be endless birds and wildlife, do you ever reach a point where you've seen it all and become bored? Does it become so commonplace that you start taking it for granted? Do you eventually start exploring other places to visit or live, just to see new stuff?

The grass is always greener, and from here in the tundra that's quite literal at this point in time, but is Florida as great as it's made out to be? Like, right now, if you go outside, are there troves of birds just asking to have their photos taken? Because even in the best times of year here in Wisconsin, it's never automatic, there's NEVER an easy day where birds just fall over themselves to get in front of your camera. What's the reality of the situation? If I move there, I assume I could become a master bird photographer and Youtube star because there'd be a plethora of drop dead simple subject matter at my beck and call.

So, just some coffee time musings I've had as of late as we explore our housing options in the Tampa/St. Pete area ;)
I spent about 3 years on TDY at the Cape and I drove thru Merrritt Island NWR every Sat and Sunday morning, sometimes 3 or 4 times, and sometimes again in the evenings (I know Blackpoint drive quite well...lol).. I never got tired of it but there were some very slow times with nothing to shoot. Of course I've tried many other places and I was never really bored with my camera on weekends. If I lived there i would have a kayak or boat to explore and photograph.

Now I'm living South of Buffalo and, like you, subjects are few and far between most of the time (altho there are usually 1000's of gulls, crows, geese on the farm land at certain times of the year). I've never really found a decent birding spot in my area. I definitely miss Florida in that regard. I'm pretty confident I could keep myself amused with Florida wildlife for a good long while. It does get damn hot in August tho.... (and after having it snow everyday since Saturday I can safely say I would not miss the snowblower....:) )

Last edited:

As a Buffalo, NY resident for the past 32 years, I feel your pain, and the allure of almost anywhere else at this time of year. I probably did something horrific in a prior life, because I grew up in Florida (Sarasota) and ended up in Buffalo 😱 Now, that’s karma! I’ve returned to Florida for 2-3 week vacations for years, and always enjoy my time there, and especially the diversity and concentration of wildlife virtually everywhere. I’ve toyed with relocating there for the winter (which in Buffalo spans at least 5 months), and returning here for the spectacular spring-summer-fall weather when Florida is baking in 90-100F heat. But, in my mind, Florida has changed so much since I lived there 50 years ago (and not all for the better, in my opinion) that I’m not sure I would enjoy living there full time. Of course, I can’t really answer your question about getting complacent or bored after being a permanent resident, other than to say that it’s human nature to get a bit jaded anywhere once the novelty wears off and things become familiar (naturally, that would never happen in Buffalo 🥴). In the meanwhile, I try to maintain my sanity by getting away as often as I can during the winter months, and over the years have enjoyed a variety of great destinations (the SC Lowcountry, Yellowstone, Arizona, Florida, California, Costa Rica, etc.). There are so many great locations in the U.S. that I love visiting, and so many more that I have yet to see, I’ve got plenty to keep me busy and my mind off of the long and dreary Buffalo winters.

Thank God for the Buffalo Bills to keep us all positive!

IMG_1008.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
I think you will get bored with anything at some point. I prefer mammals big to small over birds so I may not be the best person to ask. In Florida, the birding season is best in the winter when you have all the migratory birds. There will be birds everywhere and quite a large variety. Summers will have noticeably less birds and variety but there will always be plenty of birds. Osprey, Eagles, herons, egrets, ibis, spoonbills for example are always here and around. Plenty of smaller birds too, cardinals, titmouse, warblers, woodpeckers. You will always have something to shoot but after a while you want to try something else.

With all that said, there is another way to look at it. You will get a little bored with the stuff here, not much variation to the landscape, and you will begin to overlook some of it down the road, but you can always travel to other parts of the country for an occasional thrill of something new and different and come back home to a great, diverse ecosystem. While many others are complaining of snow and freezing weather, Floridians are complaining that this week is in the 50s/60s Fahrenheit. No worries though, because it warms back up next week. Why not live where you can enjoy life year round and travel a few weeks to other locations to add variety.

I grew up on the east coast and know what those winters are like.

I moved to the Pacific northwest and love it out here. We have a long growing season which usually means spring starts in mid February. The summers are typically dry and not at all humid. Plus NO MOSQUITOS. I remember one summer I took a week long canoe trip out of Algonquin Provincial Park north of Toronto (near Buffalo) and hit it at the peak of the mosquito and black fly seasons. I still suffer from post traumatic stress disorder from that trip many decades ago.

We have three national parks within a couple hours driving from downtown Seattle and there are plenty of birds to photograph all year long. It rarely snows in the lowlands.

Yes it can rain a lot and it gets gloomy in the rainy season which generally is late October to January.

My sympathies to the Buffalo folks. There is nothing quite like lake effect snow.

I think you will get bored with anything at some point. I prefer mammals big to small over birds so I may not be the best person to ask. In Florida, the birding season is best in the winter when you have all the migratory birds. There will be birds everywhere and quite a large variety. Summers will have noticeably less birds and variety but there will always be plenty of birds. Osprey, Eagles, herons, egrets, ibis, spoonbills for example are always here and around. Plenty of smaller birds too, cardinals, titmouse, warblers, woodpeckers. You will always have something to shoot but after a while you want to try something else.

With all that said, there is another way to look at it. You will get a little bored with the stuff here, not much variation to the landscape, and you will begin to overlook some of it down the road, but you can always travel to other parts of the country for an occasional thrill of something new and different and come back home to a great, diverse ecosystem. While many others are complaining of snow and freezing weather, Floridians are complaining that this week is in the 50s/60s Fahrenheit. No worries though, because it warms back up next week. Why not live where you can enjoy life year round and travel a few weeks to other locations to add variety.
That’s a great solution, one that both wife and I agreed is the way to do it: during the grueling hot months, come back here to WI to visit, and then enjoy the rest of the great temps year round. Whereas now, we break up the 6 months of winter by taking 2-3 trips, but it’s only a few days at a time, and you’re back in the cold. I like the inverse better :D

That’s a great solution, one that both wife and I agreed is the way to do it: during the grueling hot months, come back here to WI to visit, and then enjoy the rest of the great temps year round. Whereas now, we break up the 6 months of winter by taking 2-3 trips, but it’s only a few days at a time, and you’re back in the cold. I like the inverse better :D
It works out really well for me. I get to do some traveling in the spring through fall when the weather is nice in the areas I want to visit and enjoy nice weather year round.

As a Buffalo, NY resident for the past 32 years, I feel your pain, and the allure of almost anywhere else at this time of year. I probably did something horrific in a prior life, because I grew up in Florida (Sarasota) and ended up in Buffalo 😱 Now, that’s karma! I’ve returned to Florida for 2-3 week vacations for years, and always enjoy my time there, and especially the diversity and concentration of wildlife virtually everywhere. I’ve toyed with relocating there for the winter (which in Buffalo spans at least 5 months), and returning here for the spectacular spring-summer-fall weather when Florida is baking in 90-100F heat. But, in my mind, Florida has changed so much since I lived there 50 years ago (and not all for the better, in my opinion) that I’m not sure I would enjoy living there full time. Of course, I can’t really answer your question about getting complacent or bored after being a permanent resident, other than to say that it’s human nature to get a bit jaded anywhere once the novelty wears off and things become familiar (naturally, that would never happen in Buffalo 🥴). In the meanwhile, I try to maintain my sanity by getting away as often as I can during the winter months, and over the years have enjoyed a variety of great destinations (the SC Lowcountry, Yellowstone, Arizona, Florida, California, Costa Rica, etc.). There are so many great locations in the U.S. that I love visiting, and so many more that I have yet to see, I’ve got plenty to keep me busy and my mind off of the long and dreary Buffalo winters.

View attachment 79475
Those are true Bills fans...

View attachment 79475
This shot makes me laugh! I would never live there, too funny!!

MatthewK

Moved to Florida in the 6th grade currently retired, you will not get bored plenty to keep you busy. Now as a full time RVer we spend the summer in Wyoming and the winter in Florida. Photographing birds will keep you busy east coast, west coast, and south Florida will provide with so many different opportunities. Never shot much in north Florida. You also find yourself going back to places that found interesting while you were out photographing. Don’t forget sunrise and sunset, maybe some thunderstorms and lightning. Maybe some forts; St Augustine, Fort Jefferson in the Dry Turtugas, couple of Forts around Pensacola. When I first got interested in bird photography it seemed difficult but as I got better I realized that photography of larger wildlife greatly improved. We do have down sides; ALL insurance is getting expensive, population is exploding, traffic is bad, housing and apartment costs are rising. Then the new friends that you meet while out photographing birds will help you find new places to go. So I’ll say bored, never.

That’s a ringing endorsement if there ever was one!

Absolutely loved the Dry Tortugas, wife and I got lucky to make it there last year. Went birding for a while (utterly insane birding!), then did some snorkeling, and finally got to read up on some history around the fort grounds. Perfect vacation day 👍

Every place has its drawbacks, but some places have less, and we’re fairly set on our pick to move to FL at some point. Charleston, SC was our other option, but the traffic there was terrible, and we just liked Tampa a bit more for some reason.

Living in Quebec city area where winter is very long, I have been more than fifteen times in Florida, mainly in November and April, with my small Rv and I never get tired of staying in some fabulous state parks where it's possible to observe and photograph many species of birds; with the spring migration, in some places, It's worth the trip! And what I love most of all, mainly in spring, is the possibility during our journey from Quebec to Florida to stop in other state parks in Virginia or South Carolina for exemple, to meet more birds species.

I understand the NFL playoffs return to Buffalo this weekend and another massive snowstorm is about to happen.

I want to wish the folks in Buffalo well and good luck on the game.

I understand the NFL playoffs return to Buffalo this weekend and another massive snowstorm is about to happen.

I want to wish the folks in Buffalo well and good luck on the game.
Our snow should be winding down and nothing much more than a couple of inches is expected before the Bills game. So they say....;):)
Now if that darn lake would freeze...

Still call Florida home. But as we travel across this country there is so much to see and do I don’t think that any of us could ever get bored, so much to see and do. Aren’t we all so fortunate to have the freedom and opportunity. To travel with a camera in hand with pretty much unlimited subjects and shoot till are cards and hard drives are full.

I was born in Florida, and outside of 15.5 years of military assignments outside of Florida, I've lived in Florida for all of the rest of my life. When I was younger, I couldn't wait to go somewhere else, especially like the NC mountains.

Let's just say that vacationing and/or visiting Florida is a lot different than living and working in Florida. Do I get bored? Yes, but rarely. But I'm hardly ever not busy with work or house and yard maintenance, or something else that means very little but takes up too much time. For the past six years, I've had other very serious committments, that are now ended.

So, now that I think about it, I don't think I ever get bored. But I do seem to be tired all of the time.

I've lived in Florida on and off for most of my life, also lived in Colorado, California, Georgia and New York. Now that I'm retired, I'm back in Florida and love it. There is always somewhere to go to take photographs of wildlife, mostly birds and reptiles, bugs, plants, and every once in a while, some animals. Not too much as far as landscapes, it's very flat in South Florida, but the weather down here creates great skies. I can't say that I ever get bored. The summers are hot and humid, but the other 8 months are usually spectacular.
Daybreak.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:

You will take it for granted. It's a human condition. No matter where you live. I used to have a theory. If you are married to a ten and a 8 lives next door you will eventually see the right as beautiful or more so than your ten. Lol lol. Honestly it is a human condition.

I live in Florida and don’t get bored. I travel all over the state for work and therefore see a wide variety of habitats and wildlife. There are certain seasons where different birds are available (a lot of migratory birds) and breeding, nesting, and fledging bring different opportunities. The hot summers are difficult but even then I find good opportunities for photography.

I live on the east coast of Florida and never get bored. There is always something to photograph unless your interest is strictly birds. There are many areas to photograph great sunrises and sunsets, we have whitetail deer and black bears, there is an abundance of amphibians and reptiles. I have been fortunate to see Florida panthers but never was able to get one in front of a lens. I believe the secret is to be interested in a variety of subjects.

As a Canadian we face the same realites -- good birding opportunities for half-dozen spring/summer months then slim pickings/feeder birds the rest of the year. When I retire later this year I expect we'll do some birding trips but we have no plans to permanently move due to family ties. The way I look at it is that no matter where you are, in time everything becomes "routine" and can lose it's luster so it's just a matter of mixing things up and finding alternative things to do. Variety is the spice of life! Wintertime is when I get back into my model railroading hobby and after I retire I'm planning on delving into different photographic genres with the extra time on my hands. If I was going to move to Florida it would be for the weather, not the wildlife. YMMV.

Back