Florida peoples: do you ever get bored?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

As a Canadian we face the same realites -- good birding opportunities for half-dozen spring/summer months then slim pickings/feeder birds the rest of the year. When I retire later this year I expect we'll do some birding trips but we have no plans to permanently move due to family ties. The way I look at it is that no matter where you are, in time everything becomes "routine" and can lose it's luster so it's just a matter of mixing things up and finding alternative things to do. Variety is the spice of life! Wintertime is when I get back into my model railroading hobby and after I retire I'm planning on delving into different photographic genres with the extra time on my hands. If I was going to move to Florida it would be for the weather, not the wildlife. YMMV.
The weather is our primary reason. We hate being stuck indoors for 6 months of the year. Prior to Wisconsin, we lived out in the DC area, which has much more mild, shorter winters, and so going from that to this longer/colder duration has been a challenge. On top of that, with small kids, there’s just more to do down there for them outside for most of the year. We really liked the vibe and bustle in Tampa.

As for wildlife/birding… if I’m uprooting, it’ll def be to a place that offers more than my current! Wisconsin is great in the summer, migration time is epic because the northern part of this state has the highest concentration of nesting warblers, so we get a lot of traffic. To be honest though, I haven’t been here long enough to discover all there is to offer, and given enough time my tune may change, but these winters outweigh that by a long shot.

I've lived in Florida for 40+ years now, and I love it just as much now as when I moved here. There are still some beautiful spots where you can get away from people and see the true beauty of Florida. It may be warmer here, but the heat & humidity can be unbearable during the summer,

Last edited by a moderator:
I think wherever you live there are times of boredom. But those are the times to get creative! Up here in Alaska, when it gets cold but before the snow flies, it's just brown. So, now I'll spend time at a birch tree and try to take 20 different but interesting photographs of the bark. Or did the mud freeze in interesting patterns? Play with abstract photography! Life is too short to be bored!

So I live in Wisconsin. It's great here for 3-4 months for birding, but the rest of the year it's crap. The winters are unbearably dull. My wife and I regularly talk about moving to Florida, and this morning over coffee she asked a pretty interesting question I haven't thought of:

For those of you who live in Florida, surrounded by what I assume to be endless birds and wildlife, do you ever reach a point where you've seen it all and become bored? Does it become so commonplace that you start taking it for granted? Do you eventually start exploring other places to visit or live, just to see new stuff?

The grass is always greener, and from here in the tundra that's quite literal at this point in time, but is Florida as great as it's made out to be? Like, right now, if you go outside, are there troves of birds just asking to have their photos taken? Because even in the best times of year here in Wisconsin, it's never automatic, there's NEVER an easy day where birds just fall over themselves to get in front of your camera. What's the reality of the situation? If I move there, I assume I could become a master bird photographer and Youtube star because there'd be a plethora of drop dead simple subject matter at my beck and call.

So, just some coffee time musings I've had as of late as we explore our housing options in the Tampa/St. Pete area ;)
No…not having to wear coats nd pants instead of shorts never gets old. We have other issues…hurricanes but there’s some natural disaster wherever you live, the winter complaints (snowbirds) that crowd the bars and watering holes in the winter…but not having snow is a good thing. I miss moun5ains, gorges, and wildlife outside of birds…but I can visit those places anytime.

The weather is our primary reason. We hate being stuck indoors for 6 months of the year. Prior to Wisconsin, we lived out in the DC area, which has much more mild, shorter winters, and so going from that to this longer/colder duration has been a challenge. On top of that, with small kids, there’s just more to do down there for them outside for most of the year. We really liked the vibe and bustle in Tampa.

Wisconsin native here. January and February are pretty cold, I’d agree, but if you’re indoors October to March due to weather I’d say the climate certainly isn’t for you! If you’re going to stay, I’d suggest some serious winter gear. I can’t even wear my warmest clothing until it’s below 0°F. There’s really no weather in Wisconsin where you should be cold, if you’re dressed for conditions.

Whether there’s something outdoors that you want to shoot in the middle of winter is another matter entirely. I don’t bother with animals in the middle of winter (it’s mostly just geese and tundra swans). I look out for ice storms on trees, and snowy vistas. Infrared is fun in the winter, too.

I was raised in the Midwest and moved to Florida in 1971 and spent 3 years in Naples. The two things I missed the most were the change of seasons and dirt. Constant summer with about two weeks a year when you needed to wear a jacket. The worst part was sand which was everywhere, in your house, car, clothes and shoes. I loved the wildlife but was more than happy to move back north for a few years before becoming a Texas resident in 1981. I’ve never looked back as Texas is a photographers paradise {except for the heat of course).

Vancouver is also bad for birds most of the year - many cold, dull, wet months - but occasionally, even in terrible conditions, one gets images impossible to get in Florida!

Attachments

• DSC_9962.jpeg
    DSC_9962.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 29
  • DSC_0871.jpeg
    DSC_0871.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 29
  • DSC_1679.jpeg
    DSC_1679.jpeg
    996.3 KB · Views: 26
Vancouver is also bad for birds most of the year - many cold, dull, wet months - but occasionally, even in terrible conditions, one gets images impossible to get in Florida!
Excellent shots, amazing use of the rain and snow!

From what I've seen over the years, BC gets amazing birds, even in winter. Hummingbirds, in snow?! Come on, man... it's another place that you can practically point your camera in any direction and a bird will land in front of it. In my opinion, BC is the "Florida of Canada". If I were Canuck, that's where I'd definitely be living.

I was out today for 6 hours at one of the best birding spots in the area, and came home with a handful of Chickadee shots. That's it. That's the ONLY bird I saw. Gorgeous hike though!

I spent about 3 years on TDY at the Cape and I drove thru Merrritt Island NWR every Sat and Sunday morning, sometimes 3 or 4 times, and sometimes again in the evenings

I was stationed (Navy) in the panhandle many moons ago and in my second life I did countless business trips out to the Cape. I absolutely loved Merritt Island, kept me sane on those long trips. I wasn't in Florida as long as some have been posting here (40 years, etc.) but it's hard to imagine getting bored there, wildlife photography wise. Florida is one of those large, diverse states that hold so much.

Having grown up in Chicago (I kinda know the pain you speak of), I vote you and the wife pack up tomorrow and enjoy the journey to Florida...and never look back :)

Thanks Matthew. Indeed, Southern BC is better than other locations in Canada during winter and also migration time, but weather comes with challenges for photography - especially action where one needs some light! Summer birds are limited unless one goes north or inland.

I've lived in Missouri, California, Virginia, and the last 32 years in Hawaii, and from my experience you'll eventually get bored with anywhere no matter how nice. It is human nature. I try to travel every chance I get to places that are completely different from home. I like mammals and we only have monk seals, wild pigs and mongoose on this island, and while I love birds I get bored with the ones here. Fortunately I can afford to travel a couple of times a year.

Back