Florida Scrub-Jay

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Irap

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Florida Scrub-Jay, the only birds found exclusively in Florida. The male and female look identical, but the female has a call that sounds like a hiccup. These birds are on the federal endangered species list.

Florida Scrub-Jay.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Florida Scrub-Jay 4.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
Quite a pretty bird. Seems all versions of jays are rather bold. If they're on the endangered species list you're not doing you friend any favors with his photo. Likely a federal crime :oops:

... you're not doing you friend any favors with his photo. Likely a federal crime :oops:
Not at all. In many instances, these bold and inquisitive birds will actually approach people, often perching on heads, shoulders and photo equipment if their target is calm and doesn't suddenly move or make sudden noises. Their behavior can be very entertaining to watch. The main reason these birds are endangered is loss of habitat, noted above by SilverSurfer, which is a very serious issue.
Totally agree. IMO they should shut Mickey down and raze his kingdom.
That likely wouldn't do enough. Taking away everyone's air conditioning would more likely do the job, though. My family didn't have A/C in our house (near Orlando, Florida) until I was about fifteen years old. We spent summers getting wet at the local springs, a nearby swimming pool, or just sweating. :eek: We barely survived nights because we had a whole house attic fan that was rated at about 3500 CFM.

Not at all. In many instances, these bold and inquisitive birds will actually approach people, often perching on heads, shoulders and photo equipment if their target is calm and doesn't suddenly move or make sudden noises. Their behavior can be very entertaining to watch. The main reason these birds are endangered is loss of habitat, noted above by SilverSurfer, which is a very serious issue.

That likely wouldn't do enough. Taking away everyone's air conditioning would more likely do the job, though. My family didn't have A/C in our house (near Orlando, Florida) until I was about fifteen years old. We spent summers getting wet at the local springs, a nearby swimming pool, or just sweating. :eek: We barely survived nights because we had a whole house attic fan that was rated at about 3500 CFM.
There is way too much developing going on in Florida. People escaping from the rat race of the northern cities, with their high taxes and bad weather, the snow birds that have their second homes and all of the people from other countries that have build their vacation homes down hear. There is less and less land to build on and they've been developing right to the edges of the everglades, destroying the habitat of many of the species that call Florida there home.

Last edited:

First one I ever encountered was about 30 yards away and flew directly from a bush to the top of my head. Well... hello!

Back