Flying Squirrel

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I was standing on the trail facing the opposite direction and I heard a noise behind me, it sounded like something hit a tree.........

Flying Squirrel-7.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Very cool! Beautiful little guy. I just learned this past year that northern Ontario (Canada) is home to a type of flying squirrel -- one that actually fluoresces bright pink under ultraviolet light! Sadly for my putting the critter on my 'gotta photograph one' list is they are totally nocturnal.

Great photo!
Sadly for my putting the critter on my 'gotta photograph one' list is they are totally nocturnal.
If you tap or scrape on a tree with a woodpecker nest hole in the fall or winter they'll often look out or emerge. Same with bird nest boxes -- we've had them in bird boxes in the yard off and on for 50 years. Often a number of them will gather in one cavity to keep warm. I've found them when checking bird boxes in the spring; like most squirrels, they're partially carnivorous and, like red squirrels, will eat young birds

Last edited:
Great photo!

If you tap or scrape on a tree with a woodpecker nest hole in the fall or winter they'll often look out or emerge. Same with bird nest boxes -- we've had them in bird boxes in the yard off and on for 50 years. Often a number of them will gather in one cavity to keep warm. I've found them when checking bird boxes in the spring, like most squirrels, they're partially carnivorous and, like red squirrels, will eat young birds
Excellent intel, Woody. Thanks.

Impressive that you caught him in daylight hours. They are really fast and seem to be approachable just after dark. nice shot.

Great photo!

If you tap or scrape on a tree with a woodpecker nest hole in the fall or winter they'll often look out or emerge. Same with bird nest boxes -- we've had them in bird boxes in the yard off and on for 50 years. Often a number of them will gather in one cavity to keep warm. I've found them when checking bird boxes in the spring; like most squirrels, they're partially carnivorous and, like red squirrels, will eat young birds

You beat me to this Woody. Exactly right, Ax poll, rock, whatever, tap the tree and see if they peek out or even come out completely.

This guy was very cooperative with my presence, he allowed me to change positions, moving slightly left and right so I could control the background a bit, and even tolerating me stepping toward him a bit.
I’ve got a couple of these guys that are active where we now live in the Virginia tidewater area. I would really like to catch a series of shots of the “leap & glide” thing they do. Setting up near the bird feeder might be the key here.. They come for snacks..

Back