FMount teleconverter on Z Camera via FTZ?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Crr008

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I currently use the D850 and have a 1.4 TC for the Fmount. I preordered the Z8 and a FTZ II. Can I use my Fmount TC with the FTZII and Z Lens? Logically it sounds like it should work but I'm curious if anyone has done this. Even if it would work, would it be better to get the Z TC? Thanks

f-glass --> f tc --> ftz -> z body

z-glass -> ztc -> z-body

Your approach does not work - the z mount is larger diameter and a z lens is design to be 20mm longer to reflect the smaller flange depth in z bodies -- so no z glass on f bodies and no z-glass with f-tc and then ftz on a z body

just buy a ztc

I currently use the D850 and have a 1.4 TC for the Fmount. I preordered the Z8 and a FTZ II. Can I use my Fmount TC with the FTZII and Z Lens? Logically it sounds like it should work but I'm curious if anyone has done this. Even if it would work, would it be better to get the Z TC? Thanks
As a thought experiment, in order to mount the f tc you have to put the ftz on to allow for the flange distance difference, attaching the ftz to the z mount on the camera.

So where does the z lens go?

To answer the question directly, this will not work.

Nope. The F-mount TC's are not compatible with Z-mount lenses. You have to mount the FTZ adapter to the camera body first, then the F-mount TC, then the F-mount lens. There's no way to mount a Z-lens to the F-mount TC.

does not work - a z lens is design to be 20mm longer to reflect the smaller flange depth in z bodies -- so no z glass on f bodies, the z mount is larger diameter as well.
I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I was not trying to put a z lens on the F TC. Okay I'm just trying to wrap my head around this. I couldn't put the FTZ adapter on the Z camera, then use the F Mount TC and then a F Mount Lens? If the FTZ allows you put an Fmount lens on, when I was thinking it would allow a F mount TC which is mounted to a F mount lens.
As a thought experiment, in order to mount the f tc you have to put the ftz on to allow for the flange distance difference, attaching the ftz to the z mount on the camera.

So where does the z lens go?

To answer the question directly, this will not work.
I'm sorry I put the wrong heading on the thread title. I have corrected that. What I was thinking was Z Camera then FTZ II, then F TC then F lens. Would that work?

I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I was not trying to put Okay I'm just trying to wrap my head around this. I couldn't put the FTZ adapter on the Z camera, then use the F Mount TC and then a F Mount Lens? If the FTZ allows you put an Fmount lens on, when I was thinking it would allow a F mount TC which is mounted to a F mount lens.

I'm sorry I put the wrong heading on the thread title. I have corrected that. What I was thinking was Z Camera then FTZ II, then F TC then F lens. Would that work?
Yes, you can mount an f tc to use with f mount lenses. Just not z.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I was not trying to put Okay I'm just trying to wrap my head around this. I couldn't put the FTZ adapter on the Z camera, then use the F Mount TC and then a F Mount Lens? If the FTZ allows you put an Fmount lens on, when I was thinking it would allow a F mount TC which is mounted to a F mount lens.

i works precisely as i described -- the f tc fits on the f lens the ftz/ftzii fits on the z body and them join the together - the mount of the lens determines which mount tc has to be used

i works precisely as i described -- the f tc fits on the f lens the ftz/ftzii fits on the z body and them join the together - the mount of the lens determines which mount tc has to be used
How about this text diagram?

Z Camera > FTZ/FTZ-II > F mount TC > F mount lens that accepts an F mount TC …. or
Z Camera > Z TC > Z lens that accepts a Z TC
Yes, thank you.

Hope this helps, my Z9 would be on top. Z to F, 2X F mount teleconverter, F mount 70-200mm
Z to F_01.JPG
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Back