FN1 button in Z9- not working now

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi folks
I set my fn1 button on the Z9 to see the various AF modes available in the viewfinder. That has stopped working now and I don't know why. When I press the fn1 button, nothing pertaining to AF modes appears in the viewfinder. Initially I was able to see the available modes and scroll through them with the command/sub command wheels. I have tried reassigning fn1 button with the menus but no luck. Assigning DX/FX to fn 2 is still functional.

But, before I send the camera to nikon I wonder if I am missing something. A button, a menu item....

Any suggestions will be most appreciated! Thanks!

Can u check the following settings: 1. Which shooting bank you are in right now and if you had accidentally changed the shooting bank. 2. See if you set the AF modes shortcut for just fn1 press or fn1 + scroll? Under the custom controls shooting setting, it is easy to mix up the shortcuts for just the fn1 press vs fn1+scroll.

Thank you sir. I selected my shooting bank custom 2 (BBF) and just now attached my 14-24 Z lens and I now have fn1 functionality. Now I need to try a combo with the adapter to see perhaps if there is an issue with the adapter. I primarily use 500 pf and 600 with this camera, which of course requires the (newly purchased) adapter. Firmware version in Z9 1.00. Likely that needs to be updated.

OK, I have the button working in that I see the AF mode I assigned. Now please tell me how I get the subcommand wheel to allow me to change settings. FN1 working with adapter too now, but cannot change with subcommand wheel.

Suggestion back up all your settings to a card. Then reset the camera to defaults. This should be the quickest way to check if the error is indeed mechanical/electronic. If it is not ie Fn1 works, then restore your Settings and work through all the shooting banks in case here lies the fault.

I have arrived late to this conversation but have a similar issue with the fn1 button . I set the shutter release button to say wide area , af on to 3D and the little sub selector too single point . What i want is to have fn1 with auto area . Without the scrolling of other options . When i set fn1 to a focus option it also changes the shutter release choice. I phoned NIkon Europe customer servicing and they could not find a solution . Any ideas . i want the z9 to work like my d850 and d500 in terms of back button and pv / fn1 .

Still not responding for me. fn 3 too. I thought I had it set for AF modes. It was working fine at first. Front wheel would permit me to scroll through the modes. Rear wheel allowed me to choose AFS or AFC. But not now. Contacted NPS Toronto and my rep said they are looking into parts, but has not got back to me yet. Although I have not sent it to NPS yet, she is leaning toward a malfunction. fn2 btw works fine. It's set to image areas.

HI Don thanks for the reply , my other fn option buttons and other custom settings work just fine . I have seen on other forums that you can set the focus option you want and dispense with the scroll wheel on fn1 focus options , Nikon customer support did not seem to know this and i can not find it in the 900 page manual . I have other buttons set for other focus options that i can hit when required . It sounds like a number of people are having fn1 issues , it could be operator error or one setting corrupting or blocking something else . never the less a truly awesome camera with 500 mm pf

Agree on that. Not sure how 'dispensing with the scroll wheel' has any advantages. I want fairly easy access to different AF modes on the fly without having to dive into menus or imenu. I did install Jason Odell's presets for the camera. Intriguing that you mention maybe a conflict with another setting. But right now fn1 and fn3, when pressed do nothing.

Maybe just take it back to default settings and start again . it would probably take less time than going half mad trying to find an answer elsewhere . I have completed all of the firmware updates . So my camera is up to spec as far as known Issue remedies by Nikon .

Here's an update. Pleased to report that I resolved the issue. I had purchased wildlife presets for the Z9 and these were organized into the 4 shooting banks. When I did some testing I discovered that the button was functional and then I decided to change shooting bank from B wildlife BBF to A Standard custom. That did the trick and now my fn1 button is programmable to AF modes with the command wheel giving me my options. I see from Steve's update of the AF mirrorless book, there are certainly other ways to achieve AF control. But I think this will work for me. Thanks to all who chimed in.

Back