Focus Recall 500mm PF on Z8

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I tried to send a message earlier but can’t seem to locate it. I hope I didn’t do something wrong? It was my first post. I’m having trouble getting my Nikon 500mm PF set up for focus recall. I had no issues doing this procedure with my 100-400 Z. I really enjoy this feature and would miss not having it. I have searched the internet and YouTube and there is no content on this problem. Any advice would be appreciated!

We may need a little more information in order to help you out.

Are you wanting to control the focus set and recall with the camera? How do you have the switches on the lens configured?

I do have the 500 PF, but it's been a while since I fooled around with this. I'm going from memory here (so I could be wrong), I believe you have to have the Focus Function Selector in AF-L in order to control focus set and recall with the camera.

Last edited:
No, you set the Focus Function Selector to "Memory Recall". Focus on the distance you want to recall, press and hold the "Memory Set" button 'til you hear a beep. To recall that distance, press one of the 4 forward "Focus Function" buttons.

Thanks so much for the reply. I have the Z8 custom controls set up as L-FN : Save Focus Position and L-FN 2: Recall Focus Position. These settings allowed me to use my 100-400Z with no issues. When I mounted my 500mm PF the buttons did not do anything. I switched the memory recall switch on the lens tonAF-L. Perhaps I should try it with AF On. I know Steve’s book indicates the first setting.

There are three settings: AF-L, memory recall, and AF-on. The switch should be on Memory Recall” as mentioned above. It‘s between AF-L and AF on.

Back