Focus Shift Practice

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

JAS

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Applying the learnings from Steve's Focus Shift videos, Here is a current work product.
Nikon Z6 with Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8S with Canon 500D Closeup lens. Lens at 165mm, 1/100 sec, f/8, ISO 3200. Reflector panel to block the breeze.
Composite of 75 shots from aa 100 shot set, Step of 3. Stacked using Helican Focus Method C at default settings. The stack was pretty clean. Processed in LrC, cropped to 4x5 (20mp)
Much more to learn. Practice, practice, practice.
Excellent video training from Steve.

FocusShift.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

How do you like Helican Focus compared doing the stacking in PS? I took Steve's course but so far I have only used Photo Shop for the stacking.
I have used Photoshop to stack and it works best for smaller numbers of photos and fixed subjects. Helicon more readily handles larger stacks and does better on alignment of those larger stacks where you might see some movement or focus breathing. Neither is perfect and both have their uses.

I have a question for you gentlemen. I have tried stacking with PS and Helicon Focus and have gotten memory warnings and the stack did not complete when only doing between 15-20 shots. I tried it with RAW files from my D850 with the file size in the 50 MB size. I have 32 GB of Ram. How did you do this with 75 shots? Are you downsizing the files? What am I doing wrong?

Reactions: JAS
I have a question for you gentlemen. I have tried stacking with PS and Helicon Focus and have gotten memory warnings and the stack did not complete when only doing between 15-20 shots. I tried it with RAW files from my D850 with the file size in the 50 MB size. I have 32 GB of Ram. How did you do this with 75 shots? Are you downsizing the files? What am I doing wrong?
I am working with a 2015 MacBook Pro with 16GB. My cameras are 24MP so the files are smaller than your. I have been able to stack 100 shots with Helicon without problems and 50 shots in PS though it is slow. I am not downsizing or otherwise modifying the files before stacking. How much free space on your hard drive for the software to work with in the stacks? Not sure what else could be going on for you.

I am working with a 2015 MacBook Pro with 16GB. My cameras are 24MP so the files are smaller than your. I have been able to stack 100 shots with Helicon without problems and 50 shots in PS though it is slow. I am not downsizing or otherwise modifying the files before stacking. How much free space on your hard drive for the software to work with in the stacks? Not sure what else could be going on for you.
I have a gig of free space on my computer. I am sure it is something I am doing. Great pix in your posts by the way. You are inspiring me to do more of it. (y) (y) (y)

Reactions: JAS
I have a gig of free space on my computer. I am sure it is something I am doing. Great pix in your posts by the way. You are inspiring me to do more of it. (y) (y) (y)
I have about 100GB of free space on the hard drive where I process my photos. I import them to a folder on the computer drive, sort, delete, process them, including Helicon Focus and PS. After that I move the survivirs to a separate hard drive for long-term archiving and future additional processinf. That drive then has two backups.

Back