Focusing the 500-pf hand-holding

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Richard Stern

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Hi, I have a Nikon 500mm-PF-ED-VR, which is almost permanently attached to my D500, for birds. When holding, the natural spot for my left hand to rest underneath the lens is right under the manual focus ring, and I suspect that even though I use bbf, sometimes that causes the focus ring to turn a little as I press the shutter, causing the shot to miss accurate focus. It happens with the M/A and the A/M settings on the lens, and with all the focus options I use with BBF. So I have learned to try and hold the lens either with the Kirk lens foot, or by the lens hood, while pressing the camera into my forehead - has anyone else learned this trick, or got a better idea?

Thanks, Ricahrd

If you set it to A/M you shouldn’t really have a problem because you have to rotate the ring significantly in order for manual focus to engage. But another option you could try is to rotate the foot so that is is on top of the lens. That way you can comfortably support the lens underneath and behind the focus ring.
+1 Ralph, I’ve never had a problem with the MF overriding the AF. I don’t know why more people don’t rotate the lens foot to the top when they’re not using it... makes an excellent handle.

I do the same as Hut(please no one fall out of their chair in shock). I put the heel of the palm of my hand under the lens foot and a couple of fingers on the bottom of the lens. Might have to change this up as with the mirrorless AF options I'm trying to figure out how to utilize the function button on the lens which I've never used with DSLRs.

I do the same as Hut(please no one fall out of their chair in shock). I put the heel of the palm of my hand under the lens foot and a couple of fingers on the bottom of the lens. Might have to change this up as with the mirrorless AF options I'm trying to figure out how to utilize the function button on the lens which I've never used with DSLRs.

I do exactly this too. I also shoot Fuji and the XF lenses have an aperture ring. I've never had an issue with it, but it is placed at the back of the lens very close to the mount.

I keep my foot on bottom and hold the lens with it kinda in my palm. Seems pretty stable that way.
same here. I've tried it with the foot on top and it just feels more stable and easier when I have the foot at the bottom. At least with my 200-500 and before that 150-600 lens. I do not have the PF lens but would think the same.

As Ralph says, that shouldn't happen in A/M mode because it takes a significant turn to activate AF. However, that only applies when AF is actively engaged. If AF is not engaged and you bump the focus ring, it'll change the focus distance instantly. I'm not sure if that's the issue, but something to consider.

I also shoot like Hut et al. I've never got on with lens foot on top and hand gripping around the barrel. I like having the end of the foot rest in my palm and a thumb/index on the lens...sort of a tripod grip.

But as said, in A/M you have to turn it a good amount to see MF take over so should be safe most of the time.

Probably a topic of its own, but I prefer the three o'clock position over 12 or 6. Just seems the most out of the way place..
When I do want the foot out of the way I also use the 3 o'clock. The main reason I do so is because when shooting BIF I use both eyes to get on target. I peek across the top of camera/lens with my left eye while looking through the VF with my right eye. With the foot rotated to top of the lens it's in the way.

When I do want the foot out of the way I also use the 3 o'clock. The main reason I do so is because when shooting BIF I use both eyes to get on target. I peek across the top of camera/lens with my left eye while looking through the VF with my right eye. With the foot rotated to top of the lens it's in the way.
Good point Dan!

Yes! this is one place where I see Steve (whom I try to emulate more than I would like to admit) does it different. He always appears to have his lens foot in the 12 o'clock position when hand holding.

+1 Ralph, I’ve never had a problem with the MF overriding the AF. I don’t know why more people don’t rotate the lens foot to the top when they’re not using it... makes an excellent handle.
I've heard using the foot on top of the lens called "brief case carry". I do this all the time.

Hi, I have a Nikon 500mm-PF-ED-VR, which is almost permanently attached to my D500, for birds. When holding, the natural spot for my left hand to rest underneath the lens is right under the manual focus ring, and I suspect that even though I use bbf, sometimes that causes the focus ring to turn a little as I press the shutter, causing the shot to miss accurate focus. It happens with the M/A and the A/M settings on the lens, and with all the focus options I use with BBF. So I have learned to try and hold the lens either with the Kirk lens foot, or by the lens hood, while pressing the camera into my forehead - has anyone else learned this trick, or got a better idea?

Thanks, Ricahrd
500mm is when I toss up whether to get the tripod out.
Often using a sandbag/waterbag or bracing against a wall or tree is enough.
An old trick often forgotten is to roll your finger onto the release instead of pressing it...🦘

Thanks, Ricahrd
I am not BBF and I shoot all my lenses with a lens foot resting in the palm of my hand not gripped. It feels just like my target rifle forearm did in my competitive shooting days. With elbow tucked into my side very stable for me. And yes it does keep my fingers from bumping the manaul focus ring. Now all but one have Henjar lens feet thanks to Steve's recommendation I even replaced a Kirk with Henjar on my 600 f/4E very impressed with the engineering and the Henjar lowers the center of gravity over the Kirk on my 600.

Back