Foliage in New Hampshire USA

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

WIll be up in NH in early October. I read somewhere that it is recommended to use a Polarizing Filter when shooting foliage, especially mid-day with sun.

Any thoughts on this?

You should absolutely use a polarizer when shooting foliage, and not just in midday sun. It helps at any time he sun is up. It cuts the reflection from the leaves and sky, and in so doing saturates colors much more naturally than you can do in post-processing. It also cuts glare off of water so use it whenever shooting streams and waterfalls too. Just be aware that the effect is most pronounced when shooting at an angle perpendicular to the sun, and negligible when shooting in line with the sun’s rays.

Also, you should try to avoid shooting in harsh midday light if you can. You’ll get the most pleasing lighting early and late in the day. Get up early, and save midday for napping. ;-)

Thom Hogan recommends that you use centre weighted metering when using a polarizer. I have tried both that and matrix metering and quite honestly I can’t see any difference. Am I missing something?

Thom Hogan recommends that you use centre weighted metering when using a polarizer. I have tried both that and matrix metering and quite honestly I can’t see any difference. Am I missing something?
I've never seen a difference either - at least not a variance caused by the filter.

I am careful not to use a polarizer on a wide focal length with a lot of blue sky as it will be produce a darker portion in the sky compared to the rest and to me it looks unnatural.

This is true, although if the scene has a lot of glare and you need the polarizer, it is possible to correct for this in post. Viveza does a nice job With this kind of thing.

Back