For the northern tier, what’s your most effective cold weather gear?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Heated gloves and socks.. best things I've ever done to keep me comfortable when I'm outside for long periods of time. These use the same batteries so you can interchange spares.

I just checked these out on Amazon. It’s hard to tell how thin they are. Can you leave them on while using your camera? How warm are they? A few reviews state they are not very warm. Thanks!

I would recommend something like the Oboz Bridger insulated boot. I have a pair and they are very warm and much lighter than Sorels, and not as bulky. They are therefore much easier to use with snowshoes, when you head out into the snowy Lamar Valley to see the bison up close.
I have same Oboz Bridger boots and like them for NH dang cold days. The Oboz run a little narrow, though. A friend with a wider foot found them to be too snug in the toes.

Sorel boots with thick socks, lined (flannel or fleece) Carhartt pants, wind pants if windy, medium or heavy duty long sleeved tee shirt, fleece lined shirt, vest, my best winter coat, double beanie hats, face mask if windy, oversized mittens with hand warmers and thin liner gloves.

Virtually all my technical 'hiking' (e.g. wildldife photograhpy) gear (all seasons) is from Kuiu -- from gaiters to submersible duffle bags, from hats to socksm, from base layers to outer layers, from coats to pants.... Quite expensive (certainly in Canadian dollars) but waterproof is waterproof, warm is warm, cool is cool.... They're a hunting clothing company so stuff is sold by season and they have excellent guidance of layering and clothing is 'rated' for temperature, etc. Other than Nikon Kuiu gets most of my money :)

Wisconsin here. Ranging from normal days around 20F to a few days around 0F. Coldest of the year is usually -10F. Coldest I’ve gone shooting was a beautiful ice-crystal encrusted sunny day at -25F, and a windy day at -20F.

Jackets: LL Bean Baxter State Parka. It’s too warm unless it’s <10F, but I’ve had it down to -20F and it’s cozy. Otherwise a bog standard Columbia jacket. I generally wear a sherpa-lined flannel underneath my coats, because layers are less sweaty and two layers and zippers make it easy to regulate temperature.

Hats: The parka hood is amazing at -20F and windy. I’ll use a floppy-eared fur-lined hat if it’s really cold or windy and I’m not using the parka. Knit cap if it’s just cool out (20F+). I have a face mask or scarf I’ll use if I need to keep my mouth warm, but in those cases I’m usually using the parka.

Gloves: Heat Company mitten shell (with flip-out fingers) with thin wool gloves underneath if it’s ~0F. Ski gloves work well with my Z9’s controls down to 10F. My GFX100S isn’t so easy to feel out, so I have to use a ski glove on my left hand and a thin glove on my right, and I keep my right hand in a pocket with a heat pack as much as possible. If it’s only cool, I use my normal winter gloves I got cheap from Costco.

Pants: Jeans down to 20F. Jeans with wool long underwear down to 10F. Snow pants below 10F, or if I’m going to be getting wet.

Boots: Some LL Bean hiking boots if there’s no deep snow and it’s >10F. Tall Muck Boots if it’s colder, or I’ll be in snow deeper than ankle depth. Wool socks, with or without ankle-high athletic socks underneath depending on temperature.

Heat packs: The standard soft pouches, sometimes stuffed into the back of my gloves. I also have a USB battery that has a heating function, and I will stick that in my right hand jacket pocket for extra warmth when I use a lighter glove for shooting.

It's called layers and wind resistant gear.

I have a cold gear at from Cabela's. Pants and jacket. Got them on sale the end of February Couple years ago for $80 for set from $300. I put a fleece sweat pant under the camo cold gear, and shirt, fleece pullover, hoodie and the camo jacket. I felt nothing in -30°F and snowing at Yellowstone for Christmas is 2021

Of course i had gloves and a Goretex fleece lined neck gator as well.

Fingers and toes, fingers and toes. I think you could be half naked but if your fingers and toes are cold it's time to go home. Vallerret liners and gloves with hand warmers and probably more importantly arctic muck boots. I put the toe warmer pads on BOTH the top and bottom of my toes. There's enough room in the muck boots that both don't move.

If going with felt lined boots beware of the ones that do not cover the front of your leg with the liners. For many years Sorrels covered the front fairly well but the last few models that I have seen the felt only comes part way around your leg. That's ok if you have layers over top of the boots, but most days I go out in lined leggings with a base layer under, cold wind or deep snow can impact the front of your legs quickly. I pack extra layers in the vehicle but don't put them on some days.

Heading today to Toronto for three weeks. (Just stopped in Ellicottville, NY, for a bite.) Dug out my Baffin Muskox boots and can’t wait to get out for some shooting in the snow. I’m ready for anything Ontario wants to throw my way. 😀

Heading today to Toronto for three weeks. (Just stopped in Ellicottville, NY, for a bite.) Dug out my Baffin Muskox boots and can’t wait to get out for some shooting in the snow. I’m ready for anything Ontario wants to throw my way. 😀
Hate to say it, but we've had almost nothing but clouds and 2 days of snow in the past 3 weeks 🥴 I think 2 days of sun, and don't trust the forecast it'll say clear skies and they'll be full of clouds, then it'll say clouds and it's a beautiful sunrise that you miss cause you didn't set your alarm 😂

Highly recommend the Ontario Bird Alert server on Discord -- https://discord.gg/EhvgAc2fwb

Back