Forget camera brands - what are you doing that is new this year?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

EricBowles

Staff member
Supporting Member
Marketplace
Forget all the new features with brands, what types of new photographs or new styles are you developing this year. Is there subject matter you are photographing that was previously uncommon? Are you using existing gear in a different manner or developing a new technique? Do you have a new way of processing images?

I'm expanding the use of a style of photography that was relatively uncommon - wide angle close ups. This is a way to use a wide or normal prime or zoom lens at near minimum focus to capture a small subject as a close up, but with the added context of the scene. It works very well with a 14-30 or 24-70 lens. Here are a fewexamples.

This is an decumbent trillium - something relatively uncommon - using the 14-30 f/4 lens at the Shirley Miller Wildflower Trail in northwest Georgia. It's probably the best wildflower location in the state.
Crockford-Pigeon Mountain WMA_20230327_381227.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

This was a photo of columbine flowers at the same location with the same 14-30 f/4 lens.
Crockford-Pigeon Mountain WMA_20230327_381372.jpg

This was a more recent photo of a male box turtle found on a rocky trail in the Pond Mountain Wilderness. I was using the Z8 and the 24-70 f/4. Since it was a living subject and could withdraw into it's shell, I was very careful to make a series of safety images before getting close. I was testing Eye-AF on a turtle and it worked very well.
Roan Mountain_20220619_388048.jpg

This is a tight crop from the image above showing the red eye color. This turtle is around 20-25 years old based on the "rings" on the shell. I was surprised to find it in the middle of a hard, rocky trail on a ridge.
Roan Mountain_20220619_388048-2.jpg

I like this technique that you're using. I've dabbled with it on landscapes but have never been thrilled with my results.

For me I'm not trying anything new really. Learning how to use more features in LRC. Trying to shoot more landscapes and specifically to capture the essence of the rain forest around Prince William Sound. This year has provided plenty of rainy weather.

20230623_065658_orig.jpg

20230623_122312_orig.jpg

D81_1952.jpg

D81_1984.jpg

I like this technique that you're using. I've dabbled with it on landscapes but have never been thrilled with my results.

For me I'm not trying anything new really. Learning how to use more features in LRC. Trying to shoot more landscapes and specifically to capture the essence of the rain forest around Prince William Sound. This year has provided plenty of rainy weather.
I love the way you are using the fog to build layers in these images. These are really nice - a nice story that captures the feel and the mood of the foggy scenes.

I'm going to try my hand a little more with birds and small critters. Mostly, what I'm doing new this year is learning more about AI in Lightroom and Photoshop and seeing how it can help my post processing workflow. The new Denoise AI in LR has really impressed me so far but I need to learn the right balance and not do too much (and how to maximize sharpening when using denoise), shooting at 12800 ISO was always my upper limit and almost a cringe moment when I saw the images; however, LR Denoise has changed the playing field here and I wonder if I should bump my max ISO up one stop and see how well LR Denoise handles those images. The new subject masking tools have also been game changers with portraits and the content aware healing is saving loads of time of meticulous brush strokes.

I'm playing more with focus stacking and seeing what creativity can come of that. I used to love macro photography back in my film days but kind of moved away from that, but the new stacking features inside modern bodies may cause me to play a little more in this area, below is my very first attempt at stacking and while some wind caused a little too much movement (for this particular image) I can see this becoming a new option and consideration when I'm out in the field.
20230618_Curcuma_Purple_Siam_Tulip_Stacking_05_0001.jpg

For me, new techniques and styles are gradual and just sort of happen. Lately, I've found myself leaning towards backlight more and I've also found myself more interested in "peeking" animals or showing animals as they are hiding or hunkered down. I'm also trying harder to get more unique shots and trying to avoid too much of the "typical" looking wildlife shot. For me though, this is never a yearly thing but a continuing evolution with different techniques and style choices sort of coming to the forefront and then receding. It's always been like that for me; I think it's like collecting a set of mental tools you can use in the field to cover an ever-widening range of subjects and situations.

Below are a few from this year, but sadly I've been so busy working on guides and videos I haven't really had a chance to process much.

20230605-Z8D_2721-Enhanced-NR.jpg

20230608-Z8D_4965-Enhanced-NR-Edit.jpg

untitled-0511-IMG_37478-Enhanced-NR-Edit.jpg

I'm going to try my hand a little more with birds and small critters. Mostly, what I'm doing new this year is learning more about AI in Lightroom and Photoshop and seeing how it can help my post processing workflow. The new Denoise AI in LR has really impressed me so far but I need to learn the right balance and not do too much (and how to maximize sharpening when using denoise), shooting at 12800 ISO was always my upper limit and almost a cringe moment when I saw the images; however, LR Denoise has changed the playing field here and I wonder if I should bump my max ISO up one stop and see how well LR Denoise handles those images. The new subject masking tools have also been game changers with portraits and the content aware healing is saving loads of time of meticulous brush strokes.

I'm playing more with focus stacking and seeing what creativity can come of that. I used to love macro photography back in my film days but kind of moved away from that, but the new stacking features inside modern bodies may cause me to play a little more in this area, below is my very first attempt at stacking and while some wind caused a little too much movement (for this particular image) I can see this becoming a new option and consideration when I'm out in the field.
View attachment 64637
That's a cool photo.

For me, new techniques and styles are gradual and just sort of happen. Lately, I've found myself leaning towards backlight more and I've also found myself more interested in "peeking" animals or showing animals as they are hiding or hunkered down. I'm also trying harder to get more unique shots and trying to avoid too much of the "typical" looking wildlife shot. For me though, this is never a yearly thing but a continuing evolution with different techniques and style choices sort of coming to the forefront and then receding. It's always been like that for me; I think it's like collecting a set of mental tools you can use in the field to cover an ever-widening range of subjects and situations.

Below are a few from this year, but sadly I've been so busy working on guides and videos I haven't really had a chance to process much.

View attachment 64639

View attachment 64641

View attachment 64642

That third one is particularly appealing to me. I think it's the low key treatment I'm attracted to.

I've been trying to learn oil painting. Talk about being a total beginner. My photography has evolved into use of digital brushes, but using real brushes is a whole new world. Learning it does make me think about my photography though, because of paintings more limited use of value (luminosity), chroma (saturation) and more limited color palette.

View attachment 64639

View attachment 64641

View attachment 64642
These are some excellent shots, Steve. What you describe is much my experience. I go through phases where different subjects/techniques capture my interest but the knowledge base in constantly growing. Love you theme of peeking critters. And IMO backlighting is a technique that is way under utilized and can produce some awesome images. TFS

Right now, I have too much in the way of family obligations to be able to travel and spend much time at all with my camera... :mad:!

So, instead, whenever I get a snippet of time suitable to do so, I'm going to work on processing and printing some of my images on both familiar and unfamiliar media. I now have two rolls of inkjet canvas and will try to optimize printing with those. After I successfully print, I will learn how to stretch the canvas onto frames.

Two things I'm working on this year. 1) becoming more proficient at video (I'm currently somewhere between absolute newbie and barely novices) and 2)abstracts where I'm only showing part of something (macro, close up or even wide angle).

Here are a couple examples of number 2.
_T3A1364.jpeg
_T3A1411.jpeg
_T3A0913.jpeg

Last edited:
Excellent work, Eric. I especially like the trillium and columbine shots.

I've had a Z9 for 18 months, but just started experimenting with the pre-release feature this Spring. Olympus has had the feature a long time. Fuji has also had it, and Canon added it to a body this year. I find it takes a certain mindset to use it. For small perched birds, while I normally shoot in the 1/400-1/1600 range depending on the light, I've found that shooting at 1/3200 is needed to stop action in pre-release. And I’ve found shooting at 30 or 60 frames per second can work well. A problem I struggle with in pre-release mode is that when watching a bird and waiting for it to take flight, there's a temptation to want to capture interesting poses prior to its flying. Depending on the fps rate and pre-release time duration, simply pressing the shutter to catch a pose could result in a minimum of up to 60 frames (one second pre-release @ 60 fps)! Shortening the pre-release time to 1/2 second (which is what I do now) would reduce this to 30 frames @ 60 fps or 15 frames @ 30fps. Sixty fps has the advantage of providing more wing movements within a series to choose from, but it's only in the DX crop and files are very small. Thirty fps allows for full size frames, albeit in JPEG, but one study I read reported AF not being quite as accurate with the camera trying to process so many full size frames in such short order. There's also a fair amount of trial, error and luck involved. So far, I've been using it for catching birds at, or shortly after takeoff, and I got a fun chipmunk shot as well.

Here's a few examples. I believe they were all shot at 60 fps. I've found it really helps to use a shorter focal length than normal to provide ample room for movement within a frame and then crop in later. Despite the small original file size and heavy cropping, they were all able to yield pretty nice final images. I must say that Topaz Sharpen and Denoise have been very helpful in getting the most out of the images.

_Z912726ecShpAIx2ce1217sRGBSignRede.jpg
_Z912299ecDN&ShpAI_1200SignRedFacebook.jpg
_Z910156ecDNAI_1200SignRedFacebook.jpg

Last edited:
This year new for me:
1-Macro. I used to do underwater macro with a d-300/105 and was pretty good with it. When I switched to the OM-1 for birds I also obtained a first-rate macro setup. I am going back to macro but not underwater. The various long lenses that I have for birds also happen to focus at 4' and take a TC well so my bird setup with a TC has the ability to take semi-macro shots of bugs and such. More towards the super macro I did underwater, OM Systems released a 90mm f/3.5 super macro lens which I purchased. The OM-1 also does hand-held automatic stacking in the camera. I have lots to learn.

2-My backyard blind. At 82 traveling is becoming more difficult for me. My solution was to build a backyard blind so I could enjoy photography as I age. The actual perch is done but the birds still go to the feeding stations but I still had my first visitor.

A pigeon. Oh well.

This year new for me:
1-Macro. I used to do underwater macro with a d-300/105 and was pretty good with it. When I switched to the OM-1 for birds I also obtained a first-rate macro setup. I am going back to macro but not underwater. The various long lenses that I have for birds also happen to focus at 4' and take a TC well so my bird setup with a TC has the ability to take semi-macro shots of bugs and such. More towards the super macro I did underwater, OM Systems released a 90mm f/3.5 super macro lens which I purchased. The OM-1 also does hand-held automatic stacking in the camera. I have lots to learn.

2-My backyard blind. At 82 traveling is becoming more difficult for me. My solution was to build a backyard blind so I could enjoy photography as I age. The actual perch is done but the birds still go to the feeding stations but I still had my first visitor.

A pigeon. Oh well.
Hi Tom, yea, using relatively close focusing teles, especially with TC's is great for closeups. I've found it great for dragonflies, butterflies, hummingbird moths, flowers, etc. And at 72, I'm also not traveling as much and have enjoyed backyard bird photography. In my yard, I've got several feeders hanging from supports extending out from a 6' 4x4 post that I was able to position at the drip edge of an old dogwood tree. The birds will typically land in the tree and some other nearby vegetation, and I'll photograph them there before they head to the feeders. Hopefully, your pigeon will invite some other feathered friends in. :)

Last edited:
Great topic, Eric!

I’ve been thinking of buying an inexpensive, used macro lens to fool around with natural abstracts.

I used to do a lot of creative shots of everyday things way back in high school when I shot B&W and had my own darkroom. I’ve often thought it would be fun to see if I can capture that feel in some photos again. Maybe I should get going on that.

the problem for me is that I’m always distracted by any and all wildlife and I forget everything else. 😊

I've had a Z9 for 18 months, but just started experimenting with the pre-release feature this Spring. Olympus has had the feature a long time. Fuji has also had it, and Canon added it to a body this year. I find it takes a certain mindset to use it. For small perched birds, while I normally shoot in the 1/400-1/1600 range depending on the light, I've found that shooting at 1/3200 sec at 30 to 60 fps is needed to stop action. The problem is that when watching a bird and waiting for it to take flight, there's a temptation to want to capture interesting poses prior to its flying. Depending on the fps rate and pre-release timer duration, simply pressing the shutter could result in a minimum of 60 frames (one second pre-release @ 60 fps)! Shortening the pre-release timer to 1/2 second would reduce this to 30 frames @ 60 fps or 15 frames @ 30fps. 60 frames has the advantage of providing more wing movements within a series to choose from, but it's only in the DX crop and files are very small. Thirty fps allows for full size frames, albeit in JPEG, but one study I read reported AF not being quite as accurate with the camera trying to process so many full size frames in such order. There's also a fair amount of trial and error and luck. So far, I've using it for catching birds at, or shortly after takeoff, and I got a fun chipmunk shot as well.

Here's a few examples. I've found it really helps to use a shorter focal length than normal to provide ample room for movement within a frame and then crop in later.

View attachment 64659
I had the OM Systems last year and really liked it overall but couldn't yet part with FF, that being said I appreciate the evolution of MFT and all that it offers. I had played a bit with pre-release and found it to be an intriguing feature that was made all the more manageable with OM Workspace's clever feature to filter out OOF shots from 100's of similar images - if Nikon or LR would offer similar I think it would encourage me to play with this more in my Z8.

Love this last shot of the chipmunk, they are fun to watch and photograph. Were you panning with him? Great timing and love the reflection and perspective.

I've been trying to learn oil painting. Talk about being a total beginner. My photography has evolved into use of digital brushes, but using real brushes is a whole new world. Learning it does make me think about my photography though, because of paintings more limited use of value (luminosity), chroma (saturation) and more limited color palette.
I just finished an article about things that photographers can learn from painters. Its part of a longer presentation I'm developing that includes the Hudson River School, Audubon, and Perrry Wilson who created many of the dioramas in the Museum of Natural History. The latter is particularly interesting as he took photos to guide the details in the dioramas, and the dioramas are 3D paintings that incorporate both painting and photography techniques.

I had hoped to do more video work, but I struggle to find motivation to do it, I am much more interested in doing stills…
I think I am growing as a photographer every year and I don’t always think much about it as it’s a naturally growth I think. I found my self shooting more backlight this year than bafore, and this is a part of this growth I reckon. I also do try to be more creative and shootong more minimalistic, but this is a more consisious choice.

Bluethroat in baclight
Z91_5445-Forbedret-NR-1.jpeg

Black-throated loon
Z91_3600-Forbedret-NR-Edit-1.jpeg

Arctic terne
Z91_2426-Forbedret-NR-Edit-1.jpeg

Dotterel in backlight
Z91_8051-Forbedret-NR-1.jpeg

Last edited:
I had the OM Systems last year and really liked it overall but couldn't yet part with FF, that being said I appreciate the evolution of MFT and all that it offers. I had played a bit with pre-release and found it to be an intriguing feature that was made all the more manageable with OM Workspace's clever feature to filter out OOF shots from 100's of similar images - if Nikon or LR would offer similar I think it would encourage me to play with this more in my Z8.

Love this last shot of the chipmunk, they are fun to watch and photograph. Were you panning with him? Great timing and love the reflection and perspective.
Thanks. No panning. I had framed it wide to be able to catch movement. While in pre-release, I focused on the chipmunk stuffing the last few peanuts in its cheeks and pressed the shutter when I saw it begin to bound to the right. This shot was a number of frames into the burst. I was actually fortunate to get it in focus as the Z9 did not focus on the moving chipmunk but on a spot on the ground that coincided with the plane of focus as it moved right.

Last edited:
I had hoped to do more video work, but I struggle to find motivation to do it, I am much more interested in doing stills…
I think I am growing as a photographer every year and I don’t always think much about it as it’s a naturally growth I think. I found my self shooting more backlight this year than bafore, and this is a part of this growth I reckon. I also do try to be more creative and shootong more minimalistic, but this is a more consisious choice.

Bluthroat in baclight
View attachment 64763

Black-throated loon
View attachment 64764

Arctic terne
View attachment 64765

Dotterel in backlightView attachment 64766
Nice work!

Backlighting is often avoided, especially by beginners, as most of us were taught to shoot with the light from behind or side to get the best results. But while backlit subjects can be very challenging, they can also be highly rewarding as your photos clearly demonstrate.

Last edited:
I just finished an article about things that photographers can learn from painters. Its part of a longer presentation I'm developing that includes the Hudson River School, Audubon, and Perrry Wilson who created many of the dioramas in the Museum of Natural History. The latter is particularly interesting as he took photos to guide the details in the dioramas, and the dioramas are 3D paintings that incorporate both painting and photography techniques.

Interesting. Do you remember the name of the article? One thing I'm learning is the simplification of value/luminosity based on the planes in the scene relative to the direction of light. Sometimes as few as 4 levels of brighness compared to the hundreds we are used to in photography. So the sky being part of the source of light being generally brightest, followed by the ground which receives much of the sky light, then verticals like trees that are hit by less sky light and finally slanted things like mountains that receive even less skylight. So a whole scene in nothing but light, half light, half dark, or dark. Yet it is the value/luminosity contrast that makes it work as things are simplified.

Last edited:
Working on learning video, a lot of new stuff in video to learn as it's like a foreign language to me. I started working on this goal this weekend (7-1) and yesterday figured out Adobe Premiere Rush (it's limited). I'm using hummingbirds at the feeder to figure out the actual taking of videos and experimenting with slo motion both in the taking and processing side. There is a lot to learn about video so it should keep me busy for a while.

Thanks. No panning. I had framed it wide to be able to catch movement. While in pre-release, I focused on the chipmunk stuffing the last few peanuts in its cheeks and pressed the shutter when I saw it begin to bound to the right. This shot was a number of frames into the burst. I was actually fortunate to get it in focus as the Z9 did not focus on the moving chipmunk but on a spot on the ground that coincided with the plane of focus as it moved right.
Thanks for sharing the story, it sounds like you may not have been able to capture this shot without pre-release? I think this is a good use case for pre-release not just being for the birds ;) I love it when the little chippies stuff their cheeks.

Back