Frigid Morning

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I mentioned in another post that I love photographing lighthouses. With temps currently in the 90s where I am I figured I would share a photo from the other end of the temperature spectrum from a couple years ago. On this particular morning it was a balmy -15 with a windchill of -30....easily the coldest conditions I've taken photos. Sea smoke was in full effect and although I used too low a shutter speed, I was able to sharpen things up enough with Topaz Sharpen AI.

MRB_4531-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Thanks all!

Stunning shot! Beautiful and moody. Where is this?

Thanks! This is Algoma, Wisconsin. One of five lighthouses within an hours drive of me that I keep in rotation for sunrises. With them being on the western side of Lake Michigan, I have a perfectly clear and seemingly endless horizon to work with.

Thanks all!

Thanks! This is Algoma, Wisconsin. One of five lighthouses within an hours drive of me that I keep in rotation for sunrises. With them being on the western side of Lake Michigan, I have a perfectly clear and seemingly endless horizon to work with.
Thanks. I think that's great you've got a string of lighthouses on rotation!

Thanks all!

BeautuI capture. love the string of lighthouses along the Lake Michigan shorelineall the eway to Medeline Island area plus those in Lake Superior around the Apostle Islands. Like you those on Lake Michigan are all in relativley easy reach for me too. I do like Port Washington on a foggy day or a big stormy day. Cave Point is also a great view.

BeautuI capture. love the string of lighthouses along the Lake Michigan shorelineall the eway to Medeline Island area plus those in Lake Superior around the Apostle Islands. Like you those on Lake Michigan are all in relativley easy reach for me too. I do like Port Washington on a foggy day or a big stormy day. Cave Point is also a great view.
I have yet to go to Port Washington but it’s on my list. I’m in Green Bay so my usual haunts are Algoma, Kewaunee, Manitowoc and the Sturgeon Bay ship canal. Then also Menominee, MI on the other side of the Door peninsula. Just something about the Great Lakes that never tires me of visiting these places.

Reactions: JAS
Thanks all!

From 1977 until 1981 I was one of the lighthouse keepers at Sherwood Point. A news photographer from the Milwaukee Journal spent the day at the light one day there with me every imaginable shot. At sunset he set up strobes down on the dock and up in the yard to illuminate the cliff and the buildings and had me go up into the the light and stand out on the platform of the tower looking out over Sturgeon Bay. The picture he took had me in silhouette and was used on the front page of the paper a few days later. It's here in a box someplace and if I ever see it again I'll show it to you. I lived in Algoma about a block from the river for part of those years and caught tons of fish on the breakwater in your picture. I went to Ketchikan, Alaska for 4 years and then came back to ANT Escanaba (Aids To Navigation Team) to work and spent the next 5 years servicing lighthouses and other shore aids in the northern lake Michigan and on Lake Superior. Sadly there were no digital cameras then. I'm overdue to come up to rent Sherwood Point again. It's used as a military vacation rental now. I'll let you know when I am coming if you want to get inside and up in the tower to shoot. There's hidden cave in the cliffs there also unless someone has sealed off the entrances. Nice picture.

From 1977 until 1981 I was one of the lighthouse keepers at Sherwood Point. A news photographer from the Milwaukee Journal spent the day at the light one day there with me every imaginable shot. At sunset he set up strobes down on the dock and up in the yard to illuminate the cliff and the buildings and had me go up into the the light and stand out on the platform of the tower looking out over Sturgeon Bay. The picture he took had me in silhouette and was used on the front page of the paper a few days later. It's here in a box someplace and if I ever see it again I'll show it to you. I lived in Algoma about a block from the river for part of those years and caught tons of fish on the breakwater in your picture. I went to Ketchikan, Alaska for 4 years and then came back to ANT Escanaba (Aids To Navigation Team) to work and spent the next 5 years servicing lighthouses and other shore aids in the northern lake Michigan and on Lake Superior. Sadly there were no digital cameras then. I'm overdue to come up to rent Sherwood Point again. It's used as a military vacation rental now. I'll let you know when I am coming if you want to get inside and up in the tower to shoot. There's hidden cave in the cliffs there also unless someone has sealed off the entrances. Nice picture.

Very cool! That would be awesome to be able to go inside Sherwood. Definitely let me know when you go! I last visited a few years back. Still looks nice but as you said, with it being a military rental I only took pictures from the road.

MRB_6648.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
Very cool! That would be awesome to be able to go inside Sherwood. Definitely let me know when you go! I last visited a few years back. Still looks nice but as you said, with it being a military rental I only took pictures from the road.

View attachment 43180
Next time you are there walk west on the sidewalk in that picture and across the yard until the yard ends. Carefully keep walking into the brush or whatever is there now and keep looking down. There used to be boards laying on the ground there that covered the chimney of the cave I was talking about. The boards were there so people didn't fall in. The opening is big enough to crawl down but don't do it. It's lined with soot from fires in the cave and you can fall in.

Use the chimney as a reference and go down the stairs to the dock and then walk along the ledge until you get about to where the chimney was. You'll come to an entrance to the cave in the face of the cliff and you can walk inside. Things change but when I was there last the entrance was hidden from view from the water by trees growing out of the rocks. It's not huge but it looks like someone used it for shelter at some point in history. Who knows how long ago that was.

Just as an fyi the last pictures I saw of the cliff there are a whole lot more trees out of the rock so it may be harder to find. Someone had a great hide out in that hole in the wall.

Back