Fringing?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi folks.

I'm thinking of getting a print done of this image but the fringing on the left cub is beginning to bother me:
06262023-small-7.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I can get rid of it in PS but it lessens the fluffiness of the fur in places, given it a slightly harder edge. Would you get rid or leave it as it is?

Attachments

• 06262023-small-7.jpg
    06262023-small-7.jpg
    561.3 KB · Views: 52
I would remove the small stem/scratch (?) protruding from the hip area of the cub on the right. Cropping to a 2x3 horizontal would get rid of the upper part of the image and much of the white line that leads the viewer's eye out of the frame.

Average ppi is about 300 per inch. But you can sometimes get by with 200....or up-size. Really depends on if and how you decide to crop......... You could clone out the orange. There is "wasted" space at the top, hence the reason I suggested a horizontal crop to keep the image as large as possible.

OR - go for a vertical.....

Or leave as is....

Your decision....

The problem is not really that there is a problem with the edge - it's the consistency showing the edge as a continuous fringe. Try making it more irregular. You might also try different combinations of subject selection - selecting the background and subtracting the subject, selecting the subject and inverting, etc. Sometimes one approach is easier than another. I've also seen an exposure adjustment making it easier to select detail - and then remove the adjustment later.

The problem is not really that there is a problem with the edge - it's the consistency showing the edge as a continuous fringe. Try making it more irregular. You might also try different combinations of subject selection - selecting the background and subtracting the subject, selecting the subject and inverting, etc. Sometimes one approach is easier than another. I've also seen an exposure adjustment making it easier to select detail - and then remove the adjustment later.
I think you hit the nail on the head there. I've tweaked it in LR, using the clone tool, and it's far better.

Back