FTZ or FTZ II for the Z8

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Karl Gillard

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Hello everyone! I'm considering a Z8 and have a quick question. Every time I read about the Z8, the only mentioning of the adapter is the FTZ II. Other than the body shape of the FTZ, does the FTZ II offer any advantage or is it necessary to operate with the Z8. I only have two Z-lenses (50, 24-70) and will continue to use my F-lenses. Thanks!

Not that I am aware of. However, the tripod foot on the first one can get in the way of some tripod plates, at least on the Z7ii. Might not be as much of an issue with the slightly taller Z8.
Hi ABC....! I thought about the tripod issue, but I currently use it on my Z7 and have never had a problem. I use it mostly on my 800mm, which is attached to the tripod or sometimes on my 500mmPF, which is handheld. I imagine I'll use the Z8 pretty much the same way, so if there's no focal advantage, at least I won't have to invest in another FTZ. Thanks!!

Without question I would go with the FTZII. I had the original, and had problems with clearance between the adapters (foot), and camera body. I kept getting my fingers wedged between them as I changed my grip going from H &V. I now have the FTZII with only have one lens to use it on.

Without question I would go with the FTZII. I had the original, and had problems with clearance between the adapters (foot), and camera body. I kept getting my fingers wedged between them as I changed my grip going from H &V. I now have the FTZII with only have one lens to use it on.
Never had that problem, especially when the battery pack is attached. However, I do like your Lance!!
IMG_4856-small.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

The guidance remains the same. Namely:
  • If a lens comes with a lens foot then us this foot to support the lens when on a tripod or monopod. [Many of us replace the nikon foot with feet with built in acra-swiss fittings - but let us not go there]
  • If you are going to use the Z8 with the BM-N12 grip then you are far better to use the FTZii rather than the FTZ - leaves more space for fingers when using the v-grip
  • Some lenses with feet -- especially some replacement feet - clash with the post on the FTZ -- so again use the FTZii
  • The original idea for having a foot on the FTZ was that if one used, say, a Z7 with an AF-S 105mm f/1.4 then this would be easier to balance on a tripod and place less strain on the lens mount that mounting via the base of the camera -- OK I never had an issue. AND some folk bought the iPhoto fitting with an arca-swiss foot fitted to an extender to ensure the camera was clear from the tripod head.
Simply if you are buying new buy the FTZ ii - if you have an FTZ they give it a go see what works and what does not -- "it should be fine"

Back