Full Frame vs DX for Bird/Wildlife Photography

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

The D850 with a grip = 9fps, use group and more than not you will nail pretty much everything you want, if you want 20fps plus and want to track a fast erratic moving subject then yes the new mirror less focusing system helps in many but not all cases, its basically the same as videoing just keep the subject in the maximum full frame screen and the camera does everything else for you, easy, more so for people who have little to no skill sets.

The D500 is a excellent little light camera, but it basically exists in the D850 Z8 anyway, no one in our club uses one anymore, they all prefer the dual option of the 45mp D850 Z8 Z9.

When DSLRS were FF 16 and 20 mp the D500 had some benefits but 45mp made it basically obsolete.

You can buy a D850 with only 15 - 20 k actuation's for $1500 USD in cases you just have to watch for them.

I have had my Z9 since the day it was released, sold it recently and got a Z8 cheap because of more travel and long hiking, unless i use high speed on occasions or bird tracking occasionally the D850 does pretty much everything else the same.

DX in mirror less.......... if Nikon like Fuji jumps to 40 mp did with a 4/3rd sensor and now added ibis, then Nikon should be able to compete, to do so and still make money maybe we will see a lot more Tameron DX glass reskinned as Nikon with a Nikon tweak, who knows, again Nikon mirror less DX cameras need to go to 33 or 40 mp like Fuji or do they.

Remember Nikon and Canon only ever gave us bread and water for decades and decades until Sony came along, watch Fuji there a force to recon with, Bravo.
People want small light affordable with quality, perfectly reasonable to expect.

Try DX in a D850 with a grip using group, you will love it, you will always be able to pick up a Z8 in the future, and if the global economy keeps going the way it is you will see some real discounting in the near future as retail globally is super flat. Even Apple is discounting regularly now here in OZ with their I phones to compete with Samsung who is heavily discounting, something we were told never really happens with Apple.

Only an opinion

Thanks All. I’ve been using the D850 for a few months now (mainly with the 500pf & occasionally with the 600G) & I’m very happy with it so far. Yes, I’m sure the Z8 would have been better in certain scenarios, but I don’t feel as if I’m majorly disadvantaged in any real sense. I’m perfectly happy with my current setup & see no reason to move to mirrorless anytime soon….although I’m a hobbyist, not a pro + completely understand that budgetary constraints and/or requirements are different for others who are better served by mirrorless!

Thanks All. I’ve been using the D850 for a few months now (mainly with the 500pf & occasionally with the 600G) & I’m very happy with it so far. Yes, I’m sure the Z8 would have been better in certain scenarios, but I don’t feel as if I’m majorly disadvantaged in any real sense. I’m perfectly happy with my current setup & see no reason to move to mirrorless anytime soon….although I’m a hobbyist, not a pro + completely understand that budgetary constraints and/or requirements are different for others who are better served by mirrorless!
I’m perfectly happy with my current setup

"The perfectly happy" reference is priceless

Optimum is a high resolution full frame camera that enables a certain amount of cropping in post. Cropping in post allows for placing the primary subject in the best position for the overall composition. Perceived reach with a DX camera is an illusion as the image magnification is 100% a function of the lens that is used.

Photographing animals moving quickly the full frame provides a greater amount of space around the subject when shooting and less chance of cutting off part of the subject. I see this often with posted photos of bald eagles where too long a focal length lens was used.

When I had the D850, D500, and D5 cameras the D5 would focus the fastest but at DX it became a 9MP camera. The D500 and the D850 provides roughly the same size file and file resolution so I preferred using the D850 with a EN-EL18 battery. With the Z9 I have all the capabilities of the three DSLR cameras in a single camera and life is much simpler.

Optimum is a high resolution full frame camera that enables a certain amount of cropping in post. Cropping in post allows for placing the primary subject in the best position for the overall composition. Perceived reach with a DX camera is an illusion as the image magnification is 100% a function of the lens that is used.

Photographing animals moving quickly the full frame provides a greater amount of space around the subject when shooting and less chance of cutting off part of the subject. I see this often with posted photos of bald eagles where too long a focal length lens was used.

When I had the D850, D500, and D5 cameras the D5 would focus the fastest but at DX it became a 9MP camera. The D500 and the D850 provides roughly the same size file and file resolution so I preferred using the D850 with a EN-EL18 battery. With the Z9 I have all the capabilities of the three DSLR cameras in a single camera and life is much simpler.
This is one of main reasons I've just ordered a Z8; that and the quieter shutter and full focus point coverage, compared to my D500. With a 500pf on my D500 I'm increasingly finding occasions where I'm clipping a part of the animal, such as bears, coyotes and eagles. The full-frame gives me more options to control the framing of the subject without spending huge amounts on multiple bodies and lenses that I can't afford and don't particularly want to carry. Sure, I could have gone back to a 200-500, but I didn't really like it when I had it.

This is one of main reasons I've just ordered a Z8; that and the quieter shutter and full focus point coverage, compared to my D500. With a 500pf on my D500 I'm increasingly finding occasions where I'm clipping a part of the animal, such as bears, coyotes and eagles. The full-frame gives me more options to control the framing of the subject without spending huge amounts on multiple bodies and lenses that I can't afford and don't particularly want to carry. Sure, I could have gone back to a 200-500, but I didn't really like it when I had it.

Interesting post some things are really coming out that help.

D850 Z8 Z9 the option to just assign a button to go instantly DX form FX, its is so handy, you don't have the at option in a DX.

With the 200-500 i hear many club members complain about the big throw to zoom and how slow and cumbersome it is, they seemed to listen for a change and improved the throw in the 180-600, however i modified my 200-500 and made it a push pull lens, its now spectacular, once i lock on to the subject i can keep it tightly framed all the time, be it wild life sports action. Nikon should look at making a specific lens that works that way, once i used it i don't want to go back or use anything else.

Only an opinion

Back