Fun,Skillful ????

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

So much discussion about the wonders of Nikon cameras but is photography as much fun and does it requires that much skill or application.

My Z8 with 600mm lens attached just seems to need to be aimed at the sky while I press a button and take 30 images in 1 second so sharp I can see the birds eyelashes. (Yes I know !).

I used to have to think when I used my D810 or my Z6 or the Braun Superpaxette I used in 1956. Now the boot of my electric car has enough gear to stock the Photo Warehouse but I have a nagging feeling that if I hold up my Samsung Fold and push that button and use AI in Photoshop, my pictures won't end up that much different to the other billion that upload to InstaTok that day.

but is photography as much fun and does it requires that much skill or application.

Absolutely. Try using vintage manual focus prime lenses if you want to get the fun back into your photography. I now pretty much only use AF lenses for sport and action.

Zoom lenses make you lazy in composition. My vintage lens collection only has 2 zoom lenses - one that was so ridiculously cheap for a mint boxed lens (10 GBP!!) I could not say no and one that I was given for free. All of the others are prime lenses and cover 19mm to 1000mm if you count a TC on my Tamron SP500, and if I use them on my Fuji cameras there is a 1.5x crop factor too. Best of all is they are very cheap!

Like anything else, you will get out of photography what you put into it.

For myself the fun is finding new subjects, trying different compositions, making photographs I'm satisfied with. The camera is a tool to help me accomplish these goals. I can still use the cameras as though they were completely manual as I did in the late 1960s and I can also use the modern automated features to extend my vision beyond the photographs I made in the 1960s and 1970s. I choose how to use the cameras; choice is good.

No matter the tools, the intention, the vision, the imagination, the creativity, and the previsualization are still the same. Better tech just let's you do some things that were impossible or difficult with previous gear. Everybody is nostalgic for the good old days, just human nature.

Fun is up to the Individual. Skillful can be debated. The new autofocus technology has taken some of the challenge and skill out of getting BIF and those who are not quick can now also get those shots. Other than that I think things have not changed that much as far as how to get a “good” shot. I am though these days wondering what a “good” shot really means.

Most of the skill in modern photography is in post processing or time in the field.

I specialize in wildlife, and it's easy to see people with $3K gear setups outperforming people with $20K gear setups in every single picture, even when both individuals are standing right next to eachother. Post processing is the most important part.

Similarly though, for wildlife - the best way to set yourself up for success is to get out there and spend hours in the field finding your subject, studying them, and having them get comfortable around you.

Sure - yes modern AF and FPS and things like that make it significantly easier, but if you only spend 10 minutes trying and just spraying and praying and get home and slap a FroPack 4 preset on the image, you're probably never going to have anything comparable to someone who puts in the time.

I have a video about this exact topic scheduled for next week :)

Bottom line - it's time to stop taking snapshots and start working on art - use the tech to do the "grunt" work and use your cognitive resources to instead think of better ways to tell a story or create a more artistic interpretation of the scene.
Of course u do…😀. I am seeing a lot of images posted these days that could be greatly improved.

Like anything else, you will get out of photography what you put into it.

For myself ... I can still use the cameras as though they were completely manual as I did in the late 1960s and I can also use the modern automated features to extend my vision beyond the photographs I made in the 1960s and 1970s. I choose how to use the cameras; choice is good.

(y)

Last edited:
I decided to make an answer to my own post; schizophrenic maybe but both these have clarified my ideas, mostly, and to my own satisfaction.

Michael, you are confusing process with intent and result.
Maybe your skill set has deteriorated with the camera taking over so many functions; well, so what ? Are your pictures still satisfying you?

"Well yes; often more so because they're so technically perfect."

So,why you bitchin ?? "It's too easy"

See para above

So much discussion about the wonders of Nikon cameras but is photography as much fun and does it requires that much skill or application.

My Z8 with 600mm lens attached just seems to need to be aimed at the sky while I press a button and take 30 images in 1 second so sharp I can see the birds eyelashes. (Yes I know !).

I used to have to think when I used my D810 or my Z6 or the Braun Superpaxette I used in 1956. Now the boot of my electric car has enough gear to stock the Photo Warehouse but I have a nagging feeling that if I hold up my Samsung Fold and push that button and use AI in Photoshop, my pictures won't end up that much different to the other billion that upload to InstaTok that day.
Other than enjoying the actual trip or outdoors, actual Photography is not as much fun anymore.

So many people are taking the same images of so much already, photography has become somewhat generic.

A lot of the hard earn t skill sets are not that critical anymore.

Composition and creativeness is pretty much all that's left to consider as the cameras these days do it all basically.

You do require different new skill sets for mirror less hybrid video still cameras, mainly for setting up presets, but nothing like before, that's good for the masses i guess, my girlfriend with no photographic experience could grab my Z9 Z8 and if things are set up for wide bird tracking auto iso etc, she can take money shots by just keeping the subject in the frame, she says this is just a form of videoing isn't it.

Phones are the way to go for so so many people and situations.

The demand for video is outweighing the demand for still shots, the internet demonstrates this.

Drone footage is much more appealing.

Sills are and will continue to be derived more from video sources going forward.

Yet today i saw at a side walk Japanese food stall at the Rocks in Sydney a group of Japanese tourist in their mid to late 20s, each had a camera with a zoom lens, they were small units expensive high end Sony and Fuji cameras, i was having my Miso soup, when i asked about their journey, things eventually touched on their gear and what they did with them and liked about them, the takeaway answer was small compact light versatile high quality optics. Their back up camera was a their phone.
What they do is mostly video with the occasional still snaps all for Instagram Tik Tok Face Book............where people want to see short video clips 90% of the time over stills.

Are things the same before mirror less became the new kid on the block, NO just new easier and different, is it as much fun, less so for more people than we think.

Am i negative ? No just expressing an opinion.

Video and drone footage seems to be on the radar more so than ever before, its new and different and frankly more appealing than stills for many people, above all its backed by major capital, and vertical integration, we will simply adapt over time and become videographers in stead of photographers.

Only an opinion

Last edited:
A lot of the hard earn't skill sets are not that critical anymore.

Composition and creativeness is pretty much all that's left to consider as the cameras these days do it all basically.
go back and watch Steve’s lens first look videos where he got better photos in six hours than i’ll get in my lifetime

go take a look at Steve and (sorry, forgot the other person)’s hummingbird photos, again, i’ll never get photos that good

heck, go look at camera trap groups

there is MUCH more to getting a great photo than pressing the button.

yes, some aspects are easier, but af getting better is far from making it easy to make a great image

After 40 years flying by with only occasional use of my Nikon FE2, last year I purchased a Z6 ii, and three Z lenses. It has been a lot of fun. Obviously, much has changed with technology. But, I find that basic photography rules, principles, technique, etc. are still critical.

For me, photography is new again. There is so much opportunity to explore nature, and capture images everywhere. My Z6 ii does not have the latest technology. I continue to be amazed with the images it captures, even with my limited experience. I get similar satisfaction with my iPhone 15. The tool is just a tool. Putting it to good use is where the satisfaction is found.

I am a gear head myself loving my tech stuff and thus also my camera gear. Photography is a hobby and all I know now is I though self study and search and research. My first safari day trip was to the Ngorongoro and had to fly home in the late evening. Watched my photos taken with the D70s in great anticipation and … disappointment. Various rookie mistakes resulting in badly exposed pictures. Looking at these now can you clearly see I was just snapping photos and not paying attention to composition. Fast forward today and shooting with the best Nikon has to offer do I think much more on how the picture should look like with minimal post processing and reframing my subject through heavy cropping.

Nope, never really shot SLR’s and nope, not feeling like I missed something in my hobby. The gear I use is a tool to get the picture I have envisioned, not others. Yes, I post the occasional photo on IG or this very forum but I make pictures for me, not for likes or for more followers. I not sell any of my photos, not do I do any paid photo work as I like to have fun in my hobby.

... Are things the same before mirror less became the kid on the block, no just new easier and different, is it as much fun, less so for more people than we think.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion. For myself, the a1 has been and continues to be my favorite, most fun camera going all the way back to my first 'real' camera, a Nikon F in the late 1960s. YMMV.

It is a TON O FUN! But yes, there is still a skill. I see A LOT of people with top end gear like Sony A1+600f4 Nikon Z9+any of the top tele's like the 400TC, 600TC and 800PF and can't good shots with the gear (I'm talking fast action and wildlife). I see it all the time, so even with the cheat codes that are the latest mirrorless with high end glass, there is still quite a bit of input from the 8 inches behind the camera.

The image quality is largely driven by the knowledge, skills and experience as applied by the photographer in question. With the added comment - I have some physical limitations due to age and medical constraints. The quality equipment now available allows me choices I would not have had, in my price range, several years ago. A Z9 equipped with the Z800PF gets me shots in a price range I could not have afforded with older gear. The advance VR, other new features, and so on allow me to capture moments I would not have been able to capture with the gear I was using as recently as five years ago.

The increased capabilities of the software also add to the quality outcomes I can produce that were not within my range of possibilities not too many years back. I love my new gear and the advantages it provides that allow me to capture what I can these days.

Skill still drives the system, but the added capabilities and quality of hte tools allow more of us to achieve higher levels of image quality and capture experiences we would have missed even a few years ago.

I enjoy the process at least as much (if not more) than the product. For that reason, I have not gone ML, and I just as often as not use full manual...including focus...including BIF.
Ultimately with any art, you have do it your way, and the only person who needs to be satisfied is you. If you stop doing that...it becomes production. If you're OK with that it's not wrong. I'm just not. I've moved on from some pretty awesome bands because they wanted me to play in a very structured repetitive style...which I hate...and I'm not particlurly good at. The money was there, but I don't play for money. Other guys do, and good for them. Ya gotz t' do YOU! Sometimes stepping away from forums helps with that. Less of others...more of you. Not the right way...just sharing my way.

go back and watch Steve’s lens first look videos where he got better photos in six hours than i’ll get in my lifetime

go take a look at Steve and (sorry, forgot the other person)’s hummingbird photos, again, i’ll never get photos that good

yes, some aspects are easier, but af getting better is far from making it easy to make a great image
Points well made and taken...........

I enjoy the process at least as much (if not more) than the product. For that reason, I have not gone ML, and I just as often as not use full manual...including focus...including BIF.
Ultimately with any art, you have do it your way, and the only person who needs to be satisfied is you. If you stop doing that...it becomes production. If you're OK with that it's not wrong. I'm just not. I've moved on from some pretty awesome bands because they wanted me to play in a very structured repetitive style...which I hate...and I'm not particlurly good at. The money was there, but I don't play for money. Other guys do, and good for them. Ya gotz t' do YOU! Sometimes stepping away from forums helps with that. Less of others...more of you. Not the right way...just sharing my way.

As you say,"the feeling of PRODUCTION" at times becomes a issue. Enjoying your self as you say and do you is what matters.

Last edited:
I enjoy the overall process much more now than I did using color slide film. I now control every part of the image making from "creating" the "film" to making and printing the image right in the studio. Control makes the medium more fun, and I've never had so much of it. It also makes the medium more challenging than ever.

"Are things the same before mirror less became the new kid on the block, no, just new easier and different, is it as much fun, less so for more people than we think.

"Video and drone footage seems to be on the radar more so than ever before, its new and different and frankly more appealing than stills for many people"

I think its all a very interesting subject and if anyone will do justice to the subject it will be Steve, i look forward to his segment on this subject coming soon.

I may be somewhat ignorant for now, i do listen to a lot of people in the different camera clubs during competitions, and some embrace the new, others find like even AI editing software can be at times a bit to much if its not your thing.

There is no denying that new technology brings new opportunities, its for people to either embrace or leave behind.

The tools of combining time light and speed to record or create a special evocative creative moment is what we all mostly search for using our tools.

What ever works and achieves the objective is fine, above all it has to be fun as we say, but for many some tools can be a little to sophisticated a little to much and overwhelm a user as does software editing at times.

I feel new generation cameras or editing software are all great tools that work very well for some and not so for others, or should i say a different generations of people.

I am personally in the art world, and even now i see it being possibly changed or effected with AI, is that good or is it bad ? will it bring new things or destroy the old or just be different ?

Only an opinion

I may differ some here. A perfectly exposed, in focus, razor sharp bad or uninteresting photo is still just a perfectly exposed, in focus, razor sharp uninteresting photo.

One could argue the tech in today’s cameras make it easier to get technically good photos and the tech may help the photographer concentrate on the art letting the camera handle the technical aspects. However, without paying attention to the composition and art part our photography will not progress past fancy snapshots.

Am I there? Not all the time but I do strive to improve with every trip out with my camera.

Just my opinion.
Jeff

Back