Future of photography?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

CHANGE is happening IN,

Cost, People, Technology, Internet.............

Yes the average age of members in many camera clubs appears to be climbing here as well, and in cases memberships have fallen across the board, be it because of any of the above reasons.

A smart phone is a extraordinary sophisticated tool, its vertically integrated from the manufacturer to the user, to the wholly grail and mother ship the internet.

Just a simple example,

I do professional surfing events as just one of my shoots, i would have a runner go to the Van use the lap top to download and stream selected JPEGs to the required stakeholders, yeee, good gig, well it used to be.

Now i see quality drones riding virtually parallel above ahead or around the surfer or action, streaming video clips or stills directly in real time.
So standing on the beach with a 600mm lens and exotic camera gear has become a little, well not really wanted or purposeful anymore.
The stakeholders are asking for video footage, they actually don't want stills anymore because the platforms like Instagram, Tik Tok and U Tube all want video so they can slot in adds.

One of the greatest versatile little tools for so much of that is you guessed it the Smart Phone that fits into the control console of the drone.....and the rest we all know.

Another

People watching, you see a couple with a very young child 2 or 3 in the park, the child is walking around the flowers talking laughing, the parents are not out with a DSLR or Mirror less camera with a lens, there not taking stills on their phone, they taking a video on their in this case I Phone, why the preference for video, well firstly it has sound of their child and movement all so powerful especially with the instant connection and evoking of emotion and so superior to a static frozen image called a photo, the vidoe it has a living subject or sound moving record moment, streamed to the grandparents or up loaded on social instantly and shared. Hence the camera industry has mooved to hybrid cameras and is focusing on connectivity and stremaing.

There are cases where professional nature and wild life photographers are actually doing video and pulling good perfect moment still images from that video, yes believe it not even on the Z9 LOL.

I mean which would be more pleasing to the vast majority of people looking at a static frozen image of a bird, or watching it flying and doing what it does naturally along with possibly sound, Instagram i was told rank video clips at 1000 to 1 views compared to a still shot.

There is a general movement of chnage for many reasons............. i guess we go with it it or let it go.

The camera makers like Nikon Sony Canon to mention a few are all moving along with it hence the hybrid gear of today.

For the traditional still photographers they will fit into a smaller and smaller niche area, even wild life nature etc.

Many still photgraohers are looking an embracing video and rebuilding their systems to process and view.

A Twist

My girlfriend and I went and saw the amazing Taylor Swift concert hosted in California, we watched it here in OZ at our huge G MAX cinema, it was like we were there, we had far better viewing than actually being at the concert physically, the cameras were on stage and all around Taylor and the dancers with amazing interaction you couldn't get live being there. One thing, there were NO photographers we noticed, maybe we were to engrossed in the concert, there was a lot of drone footage, i guess it had to be drones.
On line now when booking tickets to see a major concert you have the choice of seats, or streaming, streaming to you home theater system, so many new homes now have standard a built in home theater or entertainment room. Elon Musks 40,000 more satelites he wants up there better get done in a hurry LOL.

The world is changing, in many case for the better in some cases not so.

Video killed the radio star, video is now killing the still photgraphy star.

Becoming a videographer or not is for many the question, the video gear product rangeexpanding over still gear in B and H and on the internet alone talks volumes.

Is it right, good, wrong, or for everyone who knows, we all have choices and passion for what we like to do.

My self i am doing less to little still photography, thinking about video, but have expanded my passion for cooking, mostly plant based foods, or sea food.

Still photgrhay as we know it will allways have a place, but the use by date is clearly getting shorter and shorter with change that is happening religating it possibly into a smaller neich area over time.

Only an opinion
Yep! It's brave new world for sure! However my first attempt at printing an old image on my new A3+ printer brought a lot of joy. I captured it, processed it, printed it and framed it. And what's more, today, I just spent a fortune purchasing the new Novoflex manual macro rail. That's to tide me over the period when I get a new hip next week (Yep! I'm in the old farts club as well !). Then it will be back to the wetlands chasing birds, out on the rock platforms chasing seascapes, and off to that dark site to nail some astro photography. I've still not been able to answer "Yes" to the following question relating to my "old" D850 and assorted lenses. Q - "Is that the very best I could possibly do with this gear?" I still have a way to go, but WHAT a journey so far.
Happy days!!

Neil & Falcon Print_1602_SMALL.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

With the current onslaught on AI, it is difficult to predict the future of photography. AI-powered tools are being used to generate realistic images from text descriptions and to create artistic effects that were difficult or near impossible to achieve with traditional photography techniques.

Yep! It's brave new world for sure! However my first attempt at printing an old image on my new A3+ printer brought a lot of joy. I captured it, processed it, printed it and framed it. And what's more, today, I just spent a fortune purchasing the new Novoflex manual macro rail. That's to tide me over the period when I get a new hip next week (Yep! I'm in the old farts club as well !). Then it will be back to the wetlands chasing birds, out on the rock platforms chasing seascapes, and off to that dark site to nail some astro photography. I've still not been able to answer "Yes" to the following question relating to my "old" D850 and assorted lenses. Q - "Is that the very best I could possibly do with this gear?" I still have a way to go, but WHAT a journey so far.
Happy days!!

View attachment 73151
FANTASTIC,

Good to see you have the passion, the enjoyment, satisfaction, this is precious, just don't get caught up worrying to much about missing out, this can sometimes effect things that you enjoy if your not careful. What you achieve should come more from you not so much just the gear.

The road map for the future is pretty clear for many of us, we all have choices, the freedom to do what we want.

The journey is more important than the destination LOL.

A D850 is no slouch of a camera, remember if your really accomplished around 90% of what you achieve comes from you,

Only an opinion.

Hmm. We’re all older and have accumulated $Thousands worth of spectacular photography gear. How soon will the used gear market collapse? 5-8 years? 3-4?

Hmm. We’re all older and have accumulated $Thousands worth of spectacular photography gear. How soon will the used gear market collapse? 5-8 years? 3-4?
Its hard to know exactly how long it may take, if one is to change or update sooner is better than later to minimize the depreciation effect of the older gear, it also depends on how soon new model items come out.
That said there is a lot of good gear in the used market still, i mean one of our club members shoots with a D800 and a 80-200 D 150-500 Sigma not even worth $2000 AUD and he kills the competitions regularly.
Another with a D750 and a 200-400..............heavy but a cheap lens, wins with breath taking work, even in wild life or land sea scapes.
If i didn't have the means i would still be happy using anything i have................but yes the DSLR gear is getting a little tough to sell as are some of the earlier mirror less cameras.

Only an opinion

Last edited:
Low light shots ... depends! Given a static low light scene, the handheld night mode in the recent smartphones is quite good, and I think will produce *better* pictures than a dSLR unless you haul out a tripod and take a long exposure. Versus just ... taking out your smartphone.

Now, obviously if there is motion in the scene, the dSLR tends to win easily.
It does do a nice job - but keep in mind the comment you're replying to is nearly 2 years old and things have changed :)

Still, I'd take a full frame DSLR shot on a tripod from a static scene over what I can get with my smartphone :)

My youngest son managed to take one or two photo classes in college. Didn't get the joy of sniffing all those chemicals, but I think he has a good concept of his camera and adobe products.
My son’s high school offered a photography class, taught by an art teacher. She recommended they use manual cameras and the school had a darkroom. My son got to smell the chemicals, learn about exposure, and composition. That was 15 years ago. I don’t know if the program is still available.

My son is always happy when I buy new gear, because he gets my used equipment.

It does do a nice job - but keep in mind the comment you're replying to is nearly 2 years old and things have changed :)

Still, I'd take a full frame DSLR shot on a tripod from a static scene over what I can get with my smartphone :)
I agree with the second sentence -- IF I had a full frame dSLR AND a tripod AND some time, sure I can probably do better than the smart phone now. But wow, just pulling out a phone is really easy.

And honestly, the two year difference isn't really that key - hand held night mode in phones has been good for years. In fact, I used to have a Panasonic FZ1000 bridge camera with a 1" sensor (this is 2014 technology mind you) and it had a respectable hand held night mode. Seriously. I have a couple of city night scenes with it that would have been difficult to replicate with my best setup now -- a D500, alas not the latest mirrorless. The images are not sterling .. but they are absolutely decent, shot with the only work being turning a scene mode on (I can say with pride that is the only scene mode I have ever used really, on any camera ...). The thing would burst a series of shots, figure differences in the shots were noise and produce a very credible jpg. At ISO 3200 in the shot I'm looking at, an ISO level on that camera which is basically junk if you are just taking a standard picture with it.

But of course, I have much more fun taking pictures with the better cameras. Though I do tend to whip out the cell phone when birding with a 500 pf on when I want a quick landscape shot.

I agree with the second sentence -- IF I had a full frame dSLR AND a tripod AND some time, sure I can probably do better than the smart phone now. But wow, just pulling out a phone is really easy.

And honestly, the two year difference isn't really that key - hand held night mode in phones has been good for years. In fact, I used to have a Panasonic FZ1000 bridge camera with a 1" sensor (this is 2014 technology mind you) and it had a respectable hand held night mode. Seriously. I have a couple of city night scenes with it that would have been difficult to replicate with my best setup now -- a D500, alas not the latest mirrorless. The images are not sterling .. but they are absolutely decent, shot with the only work being turning a scene mode on (I can say with pride that is the only scene mode I have ever used really, on any camera ...). The thing would burst a series of shots, figure differences in the shots were noise and produce a very credible jpg. At ISO 3200 in the shot I'm looking at, an ISO level on that camera which is basically junk if you are just taking a standard picture with it.

But of course, I have much more fun taking pictures with the better cameras. Though I do tend to whip out the cell phone when birding with a 500 pf on when I want a quick landscape shot.

I mentioned that two year difference because of what I saw this weekend. My daughter and I were visiting Mammoth Cave. I wasn't there for portfolio shots (didn't even have a camera with me), but we thought we'd take a few shots with our iPhones. I used my iPhone 14 and she used her 12. Huge difference in quality in just two years. Still, a full frame camera on a tripod would kick them both to the curb, but - at least with iPhones - that two years made a noticeable difference in low light and the photos I captured were good enough for our purposes.

I mentioned that two year difference because of what I saw this weekend. My daughter and I were visiting Mammoth Cave. I wasn't there for portfolio shots (didn't even have a camera with me), but we thought we'd take a few shots with our iPhones. I used my iPhone 14 and she used her 12. Huge difference in quality in just two years. Still, a full frame camera on a tripod would kick them both to the curb, but - at least with iPhones - that two years made a noticeable difference in low light and the photos I captured were good enough for our purposes.
I'll take your word for it that your 14 was a lot better than the 12. I have a 12 mini and think it does pretty well, but unless you got the top of the line 12 pro a 12 iphone probably wouldn't qualify as quite top of the line, camera wise, two years ago.

But they do keep improving every year. All that CPU available makes for lots of processing options.

I was on a shoot last week, doing the stills next to a cinematographer and her crew. She used an Arri Mini LF with a full set of Zeiss lenses, as well as an iPhone 15, shooting ProRes into an SSD. This is for a commercial with a $200,000 budget. She said that the final footage is likely to have as much iPhone as Arri. Our world has changed.

I was on a shoot last week, doing the stills next to a cinematographer and her crew. She used an Arri Mini LF with a full set of Zeiss lenses, as well as an iPhone 15, shooting ProRes into an SSD. This is for a commercial with a $200,000 budget. She said that the final footage is likely to have as much iPhone as Arri. Our world has changed.
Defiantly the world has changed and chnage is only getting faster.

I have seen a similar situation with prime mover trucks self driving and the footage taken was with 5 I phones attached at different points. I don't know if there was anything else on the truck.

Back