Galapagos trip - m4/3 or Sony FE system, or both???

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

We plan to go to Galapagos on a cruise in April. It's not a dedicated photography tour, but we should be spending a good amount of time on the islands, starting around 7am, so not the first light of the day but close.

I run two systems these days, mostly for birds:
1) Sony A1 +100-400GM + 200-600mm
2) OM-1 + 100-400mm + 300mm F4 + 8-25mm F4 + 1.4 and 2.0 TCs

Originally, I was thinking of taking A1 + 100-400GM for the long end and OM-1 + 8-25mm for the wide angle. However, that's a good amount of weight to hike with, even with Cotton Carrier harness.

I started seriously considering getting a second OM-1 and either 40-150mm or 50-200mm to go with it, for a light mid-tele setup. Since the light will be plentiful, high ISO should not be a concern, I also have an Underwater setup for snorkeling with two strobes so the total weight of the gear to take back and forth twice a day adds up.

What are your thoughts? Will I regret NOT haaving A1 + 100-400GM with me?

When I was in the Galapogos on a photo tour, most of my pictures were taken with a 70-200mm lens or a 300mm f4 lens. A 100-400mm lens or a 200-500mm lens on a full frame body ought to work well. Lens choice is also dependent on what islands you will be visiting and how much time will be spent on photo taking. Make sure you take hard surface knee pads as you will be getting low for lots of shots. The volcanic ground is hard and sharp. Hiking shoes are better than thinner "tennis" shoes.

I was in Galapagos in 2017 before I went to mirrorless. I used a D500 for wildlife and a D7200 for landscapes and seascapes. I was with a photo group and we were in the islands for two weeks, living on a large motorized sailboat.

I have not used the Sony or OM systems you have. So no specific advice there.

I used the Nikon 80-400 mm zoom, AF-S version, on my D500, which had a field of view equal to a 120-600 mm lens on full frame. Zoom flexibility was great and I used both ends of the zoom range a lot. I used a 16-80 mm lens on the D7200. You'll likely want something in the 24-120 range, full frame, for landscapes and seascapes. I also brought a crop sensor wide angle (a Tokina that I no longer have), and used it a bit. The islands are very beautiful.

If I went again now, I'd take my Z9 and Z8 for their improved AF. I did a lot of bird photography in the Galapagos (including a lot of birds in fight) and the subject identification and higher frame rate would be nice. I'd probably take the Z 24-120 mm; Z 100-400 mm and the Z 600 mm PF. Not sure how the A1 and OM compare for AF on birds in flight and other action; I suspect both are very good. As Joe mentioned, subjects and how you will see them can vary a fair amount from island to island.

There were times when light levels were low. As a photo group, we usually landed as early in the morning and stayed as long in the evening as allowed by park rules. Non-photo groups probably would not do that. I've actually gone back to re-edit some of my lower light photos, given the imporvement in noise reduction software since then.

We also snorkeled most days, mid-day. I had a NIkon One AW (one inch sensor, intrchangeable lenses) along that I used for snorkeling (no longer made). Lots of fun photos there.

It's not always easy to keep two cameras going at the same time on shore in the Galapagos. When walking around, I usually like to carry two bodies on a double blackrapid strap. But if you kneel down, as you may often want to do, you have to be careful not to bang the second camera/lens on the rocks. So in the Galapagos I usually only had the D500 and 80-400 mm lens on a strap at one time; the D7200 and 16-80 mm lens was in a backpack or beltpack. Much of Galapagos is full of sharp volcanic rocks. Knee pads are very useful.

I'd also make sure to have a backup plan in case something fails or breaks. Two bodies for sure. And some thought about what you would do if a lens breaks or fails (need not be perfect duplication). I brought a light weight 70-300 mm FX AF-P lens along in case needed. I saw two photographers trip in the rocks on my trip, breaking their camera and lens to the point it was not useable

Have a great trip.

Last edited:
When I was in the Galapogos on a photo tour, most of my pictures were taken with a 70-200mm lens or a 300mm f4 lens. A 100-400mm lens or a 200-500mm lens on a full frame body ought to work well. Lens choice is also dependent on what islands you will be visiting and how much time will be spent on photo taking. Make sure you take hard surface knee pads as you will be getting low for lots of shots. The volcanic ground is hard and sharp. Hiking shoes are better than thinner "tennis" shoes.
That's a really good advice, knee pads and hiking shoes. I haven't thought about that. Thank you!

I was in Galapagos in 2017 before I went to mirrorless. I used a D500 for wildlife and a D7200 for landscapes and seascapes. I was with a photo group and we were in the islands for two weeks, living on a large motorized sailboat.

I have not used the Sony or OM systems you have. So no specific advice there.

I used the Nikon 80-400 mm zoom, AF-S version, on my D500, which had a field of view equal to a 120-600 mm lens on full frame. Zoom flexibility was great and I used both ends of the zoom range a lot. I used a 16-80 mm lens on the D7200. You'll likely want something in the 24-120 range, full frame, for landscapes and seascapes. I also brought a crop sensor wide angle (a Tokina that I no longer have), and used it a bit. The islands are very beautiful.

If I went again now, I'd take my Z9 and Z8 for their improved AF. I did a lot of bird photography in the Galapagos (including a lot of birds in fight) and the subject identification and higher frame rate would be nice. I'd probably take the Z 24-120 mm; Z 100-400 mm and the Z 600 mm PF. Not sure how the A1 and OM compare for AF on birds in flight and other action; I suspect both are very good. As Joe mentioned, subjects and how you will see them can vary a fair amount from island to island.

There were times when light levels were low. As a photo group, we usually landed as early in the morning and stayed as long in the evening as allowed by park rules. Non-photo groups probably would not do that. I've actually gone back to re-edit some of my lower light photos, given the imporvement in noise reduction software since then.

We also snorkeled most days, mid-day. I had a NIkon One AW (one inch sensor, intrchangeable lenses) along that I used for snorkeling (no longer made). Lots of fun photos there.

It's not always easy to keep two cameras going at the same time on shore in the Galapagos. When walking around, I usually like to carry two bodies on a double blackrapid strap. But if you kneel down, as you may often want to do, you have to be careful not to bang the second camera/lens on the rocks. So in the Galapagos I usually only had the D500 and 80-400 mm lens on a strap at one time; the D7200 and 16-80 mm lens was in a backpack or beltpack. Much of Galapagos is full of sharp volcanic rocks. Knee pads are very useful.

I'd also make sure to have a backup plan in case something fails or breaks. Two bodies for sure. And some thought about what you would do if a lens breaks or fails (need not be perfect duplication). I brought a light weight 70-300 mm FX AF-P lens along in case needed. I saw two photographers trip in the rocks on my trip, breaking their camera and lens to the point it was not useable

Have a great trip.
Thank you for the detailed answer. I also thought about duplication/redundancy so plan to have backup bodies/lenses. Couple of questions if I may...

600mm PF - how useful would it be considering that 400mm cropped to APS-C would be ~20Mp and 560mm? Did you encounter many situations where a longer than 400mm lens was needed? I could take my Oly 100-400mm with OM-1 which would have an eFOV 200-800mm, but I thought most animals/birds are close enough so that 600-800mm would not be needed.

What was the lens that you used on Nikon One AW that was equally waterproof? I have an Olympus TG-6 with waterproof housing and 2 strobes but this setup is bulky and heavy.

I have a Cotton Carrier 2-body harness (one cam on the chest, another on the belt). I was also concerned about kneeling and banging equipment on the rocks. I will have a backpack with me to store/protect the equipment if needed.

Thanks again for the tips!

I thought most animals/birds are close enough so that 600-800mm would not be needed.
That's more a question for you, what are your subjects? Looks like Galapagos has as huge a range of subjects as anywhere else. I can do with 600mm with medium / large birds, far less for mammals, but I usually enjoy songbirds and shorebirds more and for those you can always benefit from more reach. Shooting some chickadees this morning and even from 10ft away they're only a tiny fraction of the frame at 600mm. On the other hand, there was a heron 20-30ft away and 600mm was too much reach.

All that you really need is the OM-1 camera and its lenses. A great many images require a wide angle lens with subjects often at very close distances. The 200-600mm is something I would leave at home.

A good backup camera is something like the OM System TG-7 that is waterproof and will automatically geotag images and has a 250100mm optical zoom lens range. It will also shoot 4K video at 30 fps. At 9 ounces it is something you can carry in a vest or jacket pocket for general use.

Thank you for the detailed answer. I also thought about duplication/redundancy so plan to have backup bodies/lenses. Couple of questions if I may...

600mm PF - how useful would it be considering that 400mm cropped to APS-C would be ~20Mp and 560mm? Did you encounter many situations where a longer than 400mm lens was needed? I could take my Oly 100-400mm with OM-1 which would have an eFOV 200-800mm, but I thought most animals/birds are close enough so that 600-800mm would not be needed.

What was the lens that you used on Nikon One AW that was equally waterproof? I have an Olympus TG-6 with waterproof housing and 2 strobes but this setup is bulky and heavy.

I have a Cotton Carrier 2-body harness (one cam on the chest, another on the belt). I was also concerned about kneeling and banging equipment on the rocks. I will have a backpack with me to store/protect the equipment if needed.

Thanks again for the tips!
I was using a cropped sensor Nikon (the D500) so when I used the 400 mm end of my 80-400 mm zoom, I was at the same field of view you would get with 600 mm on full frame. Or similar to what you would get with a 400 mm lens on a full frame camera with cropping in camera or in post to APS-C size.

I have seen the advice that all you need is 70–200 mm. That was not my experience. I was glad to be able to get to 400 mm on my cropped sensor D500.

I think the ability to crop a full frame camera (especially one with high resolution like the A1) with 400 mm to an APS-C size would get you most of what you might want. There were a few times when I would have liked something longer than 400 mm on my cropped sensor camera. Mostly for birds in flight. Or at times for the smaller birds that were not as close (I was trying to photograph as may of the Darwin finch species as I could find). I’m quite fond of photographing birds. I did some cropping even with 400 mm on my cropped sensor D500.

As I think of it, I did have another camera with me. A Nikon One V3 and a 70-300 mm Nikon One lens. One inch sensor. That had a field of view equal to 810 mm on a full frame camera. Very small and light. I didn’t use it much. But one day we were watching a number of blue-footed boobies plunge diving for fish. I think it may have been at the beach on Gardiner Bay. The birds are very fast as they hit the water. The V3 would shoot 20, 30 or 60 frames per second, uncommon then. My best plunge diving shot came with it — given the frame rate, the photos included the bird’s bill touching the water, the bird half way in the water and just the feet sticking out above the water. Focal length was great here and it was a sunny day. But the fast frame rate was the really nice part. Hard to keep the birds in the frame, but great fun.

There is a wide range of wildlife in Galapagos. We photographed smaller birds — e.g., finches, warblers, flycatchers, mocking birds, shearwaters; medium-sized birds — e.g., various gulls (including the very rare Lava gull), various shore birds, tropic birds, blued-footed, red-footed and Nazca boobies, Galapagos penguins, green and night herons, Galapagos hawks and Galapagos short-eared owls; and larger birds — e.g., flightless cormorants, brown pelicans, great and magnificent frigate birds, great blue herons, flamingos, and Galapagos (or waved) albatrosses. I’m sure I am forgetting some. Some flying or diving, some on the ground or rocks, and some perched on branches. The adult Galapagos tortoises are generally huge and sometimes fairly close. The marine and land iguanas are not small and often fairly close. Mammals we saw were mostly sea lions and a few seals.

Having something that gets you to a shorter focal length is important for wildlife too. Most of the people on my trip shot Nikon and used either the 80-400 mm zoom or the 200-500 mm zoom. I did see people who had the 200-500 mm zoom needing to step back when creatures were closer. It was good to have the 80 mm end of my zoom (120 mm field of view on a full frame camera) for animals and birds that were close.

Do you have a 1.4x TC for your Sony 100-400? If so, that might be useful to have and light to bring along. My Nikon Z 100-400 mm takes the Z 1.4x TC quite well (leaves you at 560 mm and f8 on the long end) and can be very useful if there is enough light. I would probably bring the Z 600 mm PF if I went now. It’s light — only a bit over 3 pounds — and takes a Z 1.4x TC well. It might have been particularly useful on Genovesa Island, South Plaza Island, and Espinola Island (the only island with albatrosses) where we saw lots of birds in flight.

The concern with the Oly 100-400 is that it might be a little long for animals and birds that are closer. Of course, you may have other lenses for the Oly.

I used an 11-27.5 mm lens on the Nikon One AW. There was also a 10 mm lens for it. If I recall, there is a 2.7 times crop factor for the Nikon One, so this had the field of view similar to full frame at 29.7 mm to 74 mm lens. Equally waterproof, yes. Not perfect and I recall reading that some people had problems now and then with the camera or lens. I did not. I greased the o-ring before every trip. I think they were rated to 49 feet. Again, not made any more.

We plan to go to Galapagos on a cruise in April. It's not a dedicated photography tour, but we should be spending a good amount of time on the islands, starting around 7am, so not the first light of the day but close.

Originally, I was thinking of taking A1 + 100-400GM for the long end and OM-1 + 8-25mm for the wide angle. However, that's a good amount of weight to hike with, even with Cotton Carrier harness.

I started seriously considering getting a second OM-1 and either 40-150mm or 50-200mm to go with it, for a light mid-tele setup. Since the light will be plentiful, high ISO should not be a concern, I also have an Underwater setup for snorkeling with two strobes so the total weight of the gear to take back and forth twice a day adds up.

The kneepads I used in Galapagos, which came in very handy when on lava and other sharp ground, were Fisker Ultralight Foam kneepads. Very easy to pack and very durable. I still use them 6 years later. Google them and you will find several sources including Duluth Trading and Amazon. Back then I shot a Canon 7D Mk2 (a 1.6 crop sensor) with Canon 100-400 and a 24-70. Although I took a 1.4 TC, I never used it. I appreciated the light weight when shooting from Zodiac-like inflatables. Some birds were very approachable -- a Mockingbird landed on my head! My pics are on Flickr -- c.carlson. Look for the Album, Galapagos Islands.

I also run both Sony and OM and I don't believe you'd regret leaving the A1/100-400 combo at home from an IQ perspective if you picked up the Panasonic 50-200 (it is a fantastic lens). However, because of the high pixel count on the A1 you'd lose reach with the 50-200 since you can shoot the 100-400 in crop mode and still be at ~20 MP.

It's hard to make a recommendation because everyone's tolerance for carrying weight if vastly different and you'd have to start comparing possible setups. So if your goal is to have 1 body with a lens for wildlife and 1 body with a wide angle I think the A1/100-400 combo gives you more flexibility than the M43 setup. I went through a similar exercise last summer on a trip to Iceland and ended up taking my M43 setup over the Sony and I had no regrets.

Out of the two possible combos you listed I'd choose the Sony because of the greater reach flexibility. If you were willing to also take along your 300F4 than I'd choose the M43 option because I think those two lenses (50-200 and 300F4 + TCs) would be more flexible and also give you two complete "backups" in case something happened to one of them.

Another option that could overall be the same or less weight as the 300F4 and 50-200 (you'd have to do the math) would be to rent the 150-400. You could pair with with something lighter like the 40-150F4 and your 8-25F4 and cover anything you may encounter with as high IQ as M43 has.

That's more a question for you, what are your subjects? Looks like Galapagos has as huge a range of subjects as anywhere else. I can do with 600mm with medium / large birds, far less for mammals, but I usually enjoy songbirds and shorebirds more and for those you can always benefit from more reach. Shooting some chickadees this morning and even from 10ft away they're only a tiny fraction of the frame at 600mm. On the other hand, there was a heron 20-30ft away and 600mm was too much reach.
That's a good question, what are the subjects. With so much variety on Galapagos, it would make sense to be ready for anything - from small birds to large mammals.

I also run both Sony and OM and I don't believe you'd regret leaving the A1/100-400 combo at home from an IQ perspective if you picked up the Panasonic 50-200 (it is a fantastic lens). However, because of the high pixel count on the A1 you'd lose reach with the 50-200 since you can shoot the 100-400 in crop mode and still be at ~20 MP.

It's hard to make a recommendation because everyone's tolerance for carrying weight if vastly different and you'd have to start comparing possible setups. So if your goal is to have 1 body with a lens for wildlife and 1 body with a wide angle I think the A1/100-400 combo gives you more flexibility than the M43 setup. I went through a similar exercise last summer on a trip to Iceland and ended up taking my M43 setup over the Sony and I had no regrets.

Out of the two possible combos you listed I'd choose the Sony because of the greater reach flexibility. If you were willing to also take along your 300F4 than I'd choose the M43 option because I think those two lenses (50-200 and 300F4 + TCs) would be more flexible and also give you two complete "backups" in case something happened to one of them.

Another option that could overall be the same or less weight as the 300F4 and 50-200 (you'd have to do the math) would be to rent the 150-400. You could pair with with something lighter like the 40-150F4 and your 8-25F4 and cover anything you may encounter with as high IQ as M43 has.
Thank you for the suggestions! I really like the quality of the A1+100-400GM (as well as AF which betas OM-1), and will definitely appreciate it in crop mode at 600mm and 22Mp. It's not so much heavy as it is bulky plus the zoom creep on "smooth" setting which is what I use. The tight setting also creeps a bit. I'm figuring with A1+100-400 it will be fully extended most of the time as it hangs on Cotton Carrier chest harness. Not sure what to do with it if I want to take low angle wide shot with OM-1+8-25F4, as the 100-400 will surely be in the way and will bang on the ground. I'd rather not take 300F4 with me as it's not that light and I'd like to minimize the lens changes. I am considering taking Oly 100-400 as a backup.

I was using a cropped sensor Nikon (the D500) so when I used the 400 mm end of my 80-400 mm zoom, I was at the same field of view you would get with 600 mm on full frame. Or similar to what you would get with a 400 mm lens on a full frame camera with cropping in camera or in post to APS-C size.

I have seen the advice that all you need is 70–200 mm. That was not my experience. I was glad to be able to get to 400 mm on my cropped sensor D500.

I think the ability to crop a full frame camera (especially one with high resolution like the A1) with 400 mm to an APS-C size would get you most of what you might want. There were a few times when I would have liked something longer than 400 mm on my cropped sensor camera. Mostly for birds in flight. Or at times for the smaller birds that were not as close (I was trying to photograph as may of the Darwin finch species as I could find). I’m quite fond of photographing birds. I did some cropping even with 400 mm on my cropped sensor D500.

As I think of it, I did have another camera with me. A Nikon One V3 and a 70-300 mm Nikon One lens. One inch sensor. That had a field of view equal to 810 mm on a full frame camera. Very small and light. I didn’t use it much. But one day we were watching a number of blue-footed boobies plunge diving for fish. I think it may have been at the beach on Gardiner Bay. The birds are very fast as they hit the water. The V3 would shoot 20, 30 or 60 frames per second, uncommon then. My best plunge diving shot came with it — given the frame rate, the photos included the bird’s bill touching the water, the bird half way in the water and just the feet sticking out above the water. Focal length was great here and it was a sunny day. But the fast frame rate was the really nice part. Hard to keep the birds in the frame, but great fun.

There is a wide range of wildlife in Galapagos. We photographed smaller birds — e.g., finches, warblers, flycatchers, mocking birds, shearwaters; medium-sized birds — e.g., various gulls (including the very rare Lava gull), various shore birds, tropic birds, blued-footed, red-footed and Nazca boobies, Galapagos penguins, green and night herons, Galapagos hawks and Galapagos short-eared owls; and larger birds — e.g., flightless cormorants, brown pelicans, great and magnificent frigate birds, great blue herons, flamingos, and Galapagos (or waved) albatrosses. I’m sure I am forgetting some. Some flying or diving, some on the ground or rocks, and some perched on branches. The adult Galapagos tortoises are generally huge and sometimes fairly close. The marine and land iguanas are not small and often fairly close. Mammals we saw were mostly sea lions and a few seals.

Having something that gets you to a shorter focal length is important for wildlife too. Most of the people on my trip shot Nikon and used either the 80-400 mm zoom or the 200-500 mm zoom. I did see people who had the 200-500 mm zoom needing to step back when creatures were closer. It was good to have the 80 mm end of my zoom (120 mm field of view on a full frame camera) for animals and birds that were close.

Do you have a 1.4x TC for your Sony 100-400? If so, that might be useful to have and light to bring along. My Nikon Z 100-400 mm takes the Z 1.4x TC quite well (leaves you at 560 mm and f8 on the long end) and can be very useful if there is enough light. I would probably bring the Z 600 mm PF if I went now. It’s light — only a bit over 3 pounds — and takes a Z 1.4x TC well. It might have been particularly useful on Genovesa Island, South Plaza Island, and Espinola Island (the only island with albatrosses) where we saw lots of birds in flight.

The concern with the Oly 100-400 is that it might be a little long for animals and birds that are closer. Of course, you may have other lenses for the Oly.

I used an 11-27.5 mm lens on the Nikon One AW. There was also a 10 mm lens for it. If I recall, there is a 2.7 times crop factor for the Nikon One, so this had the field of view similar to full frame at 29.7 mm to 74 mm lens. Equally waterproof, yes. Not perfect and I recall reading that some people had problems now and then with the camera or lens. I did not. I greased the o-ring before every trip. I think they were rated to 49 feet. Again, not made any more.
I don't have TC1.4 for Sony but could pick it up, that's a good idea. It's only an 8-day trip and the islands we are visiting are
  • San Cristobal
  • Santa Fe
  • South Plaza
  • Isabela
  • Fernandina
  • Santiago
  • Bartholomew
  • North Seymour
I guess from your description the extra reach with TC1.4 would be useful on South Plaza.

I don't have TC1.4 for Sony but could pick it up, that's a good idea. It's only an 8-day trip and the islands we are visiting are
  • San Cristobal
  • Santa Fe
  • South Plaza
  • Isabela
  • Fernandina
  • Santiago
  • Bartholomew
  • North Seymour
I guess from your description the extra reach with TC1.4 would be useful on South Plaza.
Looked back at some more photos from the trip. We did not go to San Cristobal -- the park closed it to visitors when we were there for some reason. Definitely had a lot of birds in flight on South Plaza. We had some nice shore birds on Santiago -- oyster catchers and wimbrels. Also some plunge-diving blue-footed boobies. We had some interesting flightless cormorants on Isabella and Fernandina. I see that I was shooting at 400 mm with my D500 cropped body and still did some cropping in post. We had a number of flying frigate birds on North Seymour, where I cropped some D500 images taken at 400 mm. There were clearly others times that I did crop images taken at 400 mm (600 mm full frame field of view). And not all of these images were of brds -- some were of iguanas. I think the desirability of a bit more reach could come up almost anywhere.

So overall, if the 1.4x TC works well with the Sony 100-400 and you can bring one, I think it would be a good idea. Also, given a TC is small, it is easy to carry along, so you could get it out when it might be helpful.

Certainly, you do not absolutely need it. I used the 80-400 mm lens on a D500 and cropped some as needed.

If I took my Z 100-400 mm now, I'd throw a Z 1.4x TC in the bag.

Back