Gannet - Is it ok to add color to the sky?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

MikeA

Supporting Member
Marketplace
This is an image of a Gannet from my trip to Scotland and the weather was grey. Is it a good idea to pep it up a bit in photoshop or should I rather distance myself from such coloring?

Tölpel2 Flug über Wasser.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Tölpel3 Himmel.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

With that changed background, it doesn't look natural to my eyes. Looks like it's done with a flash.
What I do to keep a natural look but change the gray is LR I select the sky, then move the colour temperature towards the blue and maybe a small adjustment with hue.

I think what you did looks nice, but agree that it is evident by the light on the bird
That it is not dusk or dawn, so I'd say no.

Last edited:
O dear, I am glad I asked. I think I will try selecting the background and making some slight adjustments to the hue as commented. THX.

As a native Scot I can confirm No 1 is a fairly accurate depiction of our skies all year round.😁

Out of interest where was it taken? Bell Rock, Troup Head?

Maybe a slight adjustment to the background as, one assumes, it is supposed to be a natural shot. Attention should be on the bird, which in turn, should have the most editing attention.

This is an image of a Gannet from my trip to Scotland and the weather was grey. Is it a good idea to pep it up a bit in photoshop or should I rather distance myself from such coloring?

View attachment 77355

View attachment 77356
I like the overall.ook better with the sky edits…but as noted in other replies it’s different lighting than on the bird…I would tone down the sky a bit but the color is better than the original. It really depends on which one *you* like better.

I'll address your opening question first: Yes, it is OK to change backgrounds. It is your image and you can do whatever you want. Sometimes we get all twisted up in the "it must be 100% natural" vs. "That has been heavily processed" discussions. If you are entering a contest where the rules dictate how much, if any, editing then you need to abide by the contest rules. Also, there are rules and guidelines around photojournalism if you're into that genre. Your photo above isn't photojournalism.

Now, to the subsequent discussion, I do like the last edit better than the yellow sky edit. On the first edit, with the yellow sky, I think the issue isn't the sunset it was how far the sliders were pushed. You could have masked the background and warmed the white balance a few degrees if you wanted.
But at the end of the day, it is. your image and there is absolutely nothing wrong (as far as I'm concerned) in editing it any way you see fit and making it an image you enjoy.

Just my 2 pennies worth.

Jeff

I quite like the very first photo. It looks natural, and the attention is on the bird.

It is a great feeling to have all that editing power at our fingertips! It can give amazing, creative results. But sometimes less is more. In this case I would opt for the simplicity of the original.

Thank you everyone - I will stick with the natural first image, almost as out of the camera. That seems to get the most votes 👍

Back