Gear Storage and Hauling - Peak Design Camera Cube V2 Commentary

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

BarkingBeans Coffee

Michael H
Supporting Member
Marketplace
New product just announced.

I have been using a Peak Design 45L Travel Backpack with the V1 for my trips.
The V2 fixes a couple of nit picks about the camera cube that I had the most important of which is access to the items in the side corners. They also added weatherproofing. The smaller ones can be used as carry bags with the Peak straps.
I have placed a BH pre-order for the access reason alone, plus with my new 180-600 I need a second large cube for storage. So the V1 will be used for that at home.
With Peak bags you have dual side access to camera and lens so it's like a sling.
What I have liked about these is at the home organization as well as the safety while traveling.
BIG FEATURE - if you ever get caught with the bag is too big for the plane - the camera cube comes out and it will fit under the seat so you don't have to give up your gear.

Size wise - I think the large is a bit too short for the Z9 with the 800PF attached but the lens will fit. 38.5cm for the lens on Nikon site and 43cm internal dimension on the Peak site.
It will fit the 180-600 with the Z9 attached.

Something to consider for your organization.

I am not affiliated in any way, I just like the way this has worked out for me.

Warning - the YT they produced has a new presenter and she's a bit goofy so forgive that but this gives you a great overview of the features and sizes.

Circa 2018, PD released their V1 kit of ICUs with the Travel Backpack. I subscribed to the kickstarter with admittedly mixed feelings. One reason was their distinctly smug designers had refused to add top access into the system. (It's surprising they get market traction with their irritating videos.) At the time the options were very limited for wildlife friendly kits. Today, there are still too few designs with a top access panel, which I find essential for a telephoto rig. I found the PD Cubes have their constraints, and smaller packing tools work okay as utilitarian transporters/storage. Ever since, big lessons later, I keep a eye on this market for better designs. Fortunately, 5 years later today we can find a few improved solutions for the wildlife photographer using one or more telephotos in the field.

Obviously, ICU(s) and packs are interchangeable and not locked into the brand. The Thinktank Stash Master Pro Cube / ICU, and similar models, originally for the 45 Elite works well with its top access, but struggles to fit a 800 PF and more. The fStop ICUs are about the best made out there, but only the largest has top access. Shimoda has just responded to this need with its new ICU, and so has Nyo-Evo with their new XL RCI (GEN 3). The latter two companies appear to be designing products optimized for outdoor photographers. - overdue competition for fStop and Thinktank

It is important to check an ICU Has sufficient depth packing wide lenses/pro ILCs (the PD cubes are too shallow), and some designs are still too short to fit many telephotos. The more options we have available the better for the consumer, obviously; so hopefully more of these companies wise up to the fundamental realities of how to pack and access telephoto lenses safely and swiftly in the field.

I quickly found the PD Travel pack is badly over rated for hiking further than around the block. It is too uncomfortable for even moderate outdoor use: thin straps and pitiful attempt at a hip belt. This is a pity they messed up on these aspects, as I still use my pack as a travel bag for electronic accessories, laptop and clothing etc. This is when staying in lodges, B&Bs or even camping out of a vehicle. I have found that Think Tank Elite and fStop make far better packs for hiking with a light core Commando kit and fStop work best IME for heavier loads (eg Tilopa and Sukha). Their harness and overall design work far better for weight distribution and access to accessories in the outdoors.

Last edited:
I backed the original kickstarter 45L. Have used the thing less than 5 times. Was a mistake for my use case. Oh well. Live and learn. I should really sell the thing but if I downgrade from my f/4 and f/2.8 primes it may become more useful in the future.

Circa 2018, PD released their V1 kit of ICUs with the Travel Backpack. I subscribed to the kickstarter with admittedly mixed feelings. One reason was their distinctly smug designers had refused to add top access into the system. (It's surprising they get market traction with their irritating videos.) At the time the options were very limited for wildlife friendly kits. Today, there are still too few designs with a top access panel, which I find essential for a telephoto rig. I found the PD Cubes have their constraints, and smaller packing tools work okay as utilitarian transporters/storage. Ever since, big lessons later, I keep a eye on this market for better designs. Fortunately, 5 years later today we can find a few improved solutions for the wildlife photographer using one or more telephotos in the field.

Obviously, ICU(s) and packs are interchangeable and not locked into the brand. The Thinktank Stash Master Pro Cube / ICU, and similar models, originally for the 45 Elite works well with its top access and it can hold a 800 PF and more. The fStop ICUs are about the best made out there, but only the largest has top access. Shimoda has just responded to this need with its new ICU, and so has Nyo-Evo with their new XL RCI (GEN 3). The latter two companies appear to be designing products optimized for outdoor photographers. - overdue competition for fStop and Thinktank

It is important to check an ICU Has sufficient depth packing wide lenses/pro ILCs (the PD cubes are too shallow), and some designs are still too short to fit many telephotos. The more options we have available the better for the consumer, obviously; so hopefully more of these companies wise up to the fundamental realities of how to pack and access telephoto lenses safely and swiftly in the field.

I quickly found the PD Travel pack is badly over rated for hiking further than around the block. It is too uncomfortable for even moderate outdoor use: thin straps and pitiful attempt at a hip belt. This is a pity they messed up on these aspects, as I still use my pack as a travel bag for electronic accessories, laptop and clothing etc. This is when staying in lodges, B&Bs or even camping out of a vehicle. I have found that Think Tank Elite and fStop make far better packs for hiking with a light core Commando kit and fStop work best IME for heavier loads (eg Tilopa and Sukha). Their harness and overall design work far better for weight distribution and access to accessories in the outdoors.
I just carried the 45L around Italy for two weeks and never had an issue. Didn’t matter if it was packed full or not and the side access made getting my Z9 and my travel lenses out easily. I think there have been improvements since the first version and I have the current version. It’s good for people to look at all their options.

I just carried the 45L around Italy for two weeks and never had an issue. Didn’t matter if it was packed full or not and the side access made getting my Z9 and my travel lenses out easily. I think there have been improvements since the first version and I have the current version. It’s good for people to look at all their options.
PD caught me out once on their 45L pack, which remains the same design. Never again. As said above there are much better designed packs IME, and particularly ICUs: especially if one needs to carry one or more telephotos.

Last edited:
Nya-Evo does a similar thing with their camera internal pcks…cover provided. I’ve got their 36L one and it overhead bins nicely but there is always the pull out the gear part and I carry at least one of my chargers in the laptop bag.

My Peak 45L is my daily backpack, and I also use it for (up to a week of) travel where I happen to be bringing cameras. I currently stuff a Peak 6L Sling into it, but that’s not very space efficient. I don’t shoot out of my Peak 45L, but I really like it for everything else.

The V2 cubes look really nice as a shoulder bag to bring on a “photography-second” trip, so I can travel with just the 45L backpack, stuffed to the gills, and then head out for the day with just the cube with a 2-3 lens kit.

I’ll continue to use my Backlight 26L for the long lenses and heavy kits, and my Peak 10L for day trips without long lenses.

Nya-Evo does a similar thing with their camera internal pcks…cover provided. I’ve got their 36L one and it overhead bins nicely but there is always the pull out the gear part and I carry at least one of my chargers in the laptop bag.
I see that and if you need top access you can have that. The Shimoda doesn't seem to have a cover and the Think Tank doesn't appear to have a long one.
Everyone has different needs and use cases so it's great that there are lots of options out there. Sometimes bad buying decisions are made and so now one can have other options. Weight and size of gear matter, and with those with gripped cameras depth as well.

As people mentioned in the other thread on camera gear storage, the ability to leave gear in a cube is helpful, and I find it's use as backup plan for weight limits on planes to be a great feature which is why I want them to have sufficient handles and close.

Back