General Safari Questions

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Ado Wolf

After a few years of saving (mission impossible for a single dad), I was finally able to book a 1 week safari (Kenya). I have read threads in BCG and consumed some Ytube content (including Steve's helpful videos), in hope to get read for this trip and avoid surprises. The general take is:

- not all Safaris are equal and can be very different in nature (accommodation, vehicles, destinations, animals, etc..)
- clothes with nature-colors (beige, brown) are best suited (avoid black and blues, due to insect bites)
- sun protection (glasses, cream, long sleeves, big hat), water bottle, flashlight and swiss knife are essential
- weight, size and type of baggage is critical: most recommended → duffle bag max 15 kg / 33 lb + camera bag max 8 kg / 17 lb
→ am I right in assuming that even on smaller local planes, I can keep my camera bag with me at all time and have a duffle bag as luggage? or is only 1 pc of baggage allowed?

Have I missed anything travel related?

Now Gear talk:

- A back up camera is always recommended, to avoid lens changes (very sandy) and be able to quickly react
- A back up system for making copies of my photos is valuable (using iPad with SD reader to make copies)
- Multiple batteries, SD cards, and a battery bank and charging station with cables
- binoculars, some swear by it.. others say keep weight down and avoid it altogether.
→ what is the general consensus on this forum?

I decided to take my D850 + 500 PF as my main camera. I chose it over my Z8 due to battery life and reported electricity limitations .
I am however struggling with my choice of back-up camera. My options are:

- Z50 with 50-250 (good for close Wildlife, however lens not weather sealed)
- Z50 with 18-140 (versatile, however lens not weather sealed)
- Z50 with 24-70 S (lens weather sealed, but it does still extend when zooming)
- Z6 with 24-70 S (heavier, but more rugged, FF, good in low light, same battery as D850

Should I worry about being robbed? or it only happens to people that don't pay attention?

Thank you in advance for your valued feedback !

Last edited:
I think too many people overthink the potential weather problems. The odds of you being rained on in Kenya are slim to none. As far as dust is concerned, simply take note of conditions while you are considering changing lenses and just wait until the dust settles before removing your lens. Clean your equipment as needed and don’t worry too much.😉😉

Backup camera could be a D500 with a 70-200mm f4. Add a 1.4x tc for use with your 500mm f5.6 pf. Consider a Z6iii for a backup camera with a 70-800mm Z mount lens.

Do not forget to take a bean bag with you. And make sure you zip close your camera bag before getting out of the Land rover especially at night when it is dark and you are tired.

Seems like you’re pretty well sorted. Unless you are wandering around shady parts of Nairobi on your own you won’t need to worry about being robbed. Your guide will make sure you are your stuff stays safe.

I think you should take the Z8 instead of the d850. The d850 is loud and the Z8 will give you all the benefits of mirrorless, such as seeing the exposure in the viewfinder. If you take an extra battery, battery life won't be a problem. I've never had any problem recharging batteries at night. The 500 PF will be a great primary lens. I don't know the 50-250, but that range would be a good companion to the 500. I wouldn't worry about the weather sealing. When I have gone on safari I haven't used wide angle much. And the 50 end of the zoom will give you a "normal" view. I think the Z6 would be a better second camera than the Z50. If your primary purpose is photography I wouldn't take binoculars unless you have a good compact pair.

I've been to Africa twice on safari, South Africa and Kenya. I have yet to need a swiss knife but I suppose it could be useful, not sure what for. I took my Z9 last time to Kenya and the 850 as the back up and when I go next time I'll take both Z8 cameras and lots of batteries (I always have at least two batteries in a pocket). I've never had a problem with having access to electricity but I was not camping somewhere remote, I stayed in lodges (brick and mortar) and tent sites (hardly actually tent's as they are pretty lush). Just be sure to take two converters (these have USB plug-ins) in case one does not work and don't forget the correct plugs. I have never worried about being robbed but have never put myself in a situation where robbery might be encouraged. Last time I was in a jeep and we drove through various parts of Kenya, I went to a post office and a couple of stores and had no problem. But a robbery could happen anywhere and I always keep an eye on my gear. I've never had any problem with lugguge or my backpack. If something turns out to be too heavy you'll just get charged an extra fee. On binocs...I'm that person who always has the camera in my hand and my finger hovering near the shutter because sometimes you only have seconds to get the shot so I don't bother with binocs, the guides always have them and it's their job to find the wildlife. I'm assuming, based on what you wrote, that this is your first trip of this kind and I think you may be stressing a bit too much. I travel often to various places out of the country and things generally turn out fine. Funny story on the Z9 and Kenya...I grabbed my camera and bag, jumped into the jeep, and we took off, traveling over a very rough road for several miles. When we got into the park I picked up my camera and realized that I had left the battery and battery cover, in that camera you can take the whole cover off, back in the lodge. I knew I had a second battery in my bag and I asked the driver if he had electric tape, he did, so I taped the battery into the battery slot with electrical tape...worked just fine!

Backup camera could be a D500 with a 70-200mm f4. Add a 1.4x tc for use with your 500mm f5.6 pf. Consider a Z6iii for a backup camera with a 70-800mm Z mount lens.

Do not forget to take a bean bag with you. And make sure you zip close your camera bag before getting out of the Land rover especially at night when it is dark and you are tired.
Thank you for your input.
I am not a fan of the TC... hat a 1.4 and sold it.
The cameras you mentioned are good choices, however I don't own them (not listen in my options ;)
I will take a look at the bean bag (I was rather going for the Foam Pipe trick from Steve (lighter & cheaper)
Closing the Zipper before leavin the Land rover is a mistake I learned the hard way unfortunately.. but thanks for pointing it out.

I think you should take the Z8 instead of the d850. The d850 is loud and the Z8 will give you all the benefits of mirrorless, such as seeing the exposure in the viewfinder. If you take an extra battery, battery life won't be a problem. I've never had any problem recharging batteries at night. The 500 PF will be a great primary lens. I don't know the 50-250, but that range would be a good companion to the 500. I wouldn't worry about the weather sealing. When I have gone on safari I haven't used wide angle much. And the 50 end of the zoom will give you a "normal" view. I think the Z6 would be a better second camera than the Z50. If your primary purpose is photography I wouldn't take binoculars unless you have a good compact pair.
Thank you for your feedback on focal range. It's good to know that a wider range (<50mm) will not be needed.. and if such, I have my ZV-1 in with its 24-70 range (bringing it along for selfies).

I admit, one more reason for not taking the Z8 is risk of damage or theft.. if anything happens to it, I can't afford buying another one (even with insurance / which I have / capped at 5K).

I do have a good compact pair, but as you stated, I'm there for photography and will be enjoying the view through my OVF.

Last edited:
I've been to Africa twice on safari, South Africa and Kenya. I have yet to need a swiss knife but I suppose it could be useful, not sure what for. I took my Z9 last time to Kenya and the 850 as the back up and when I go next time I'll take both Z8 cameras and lots of batteries (I always have at least two batteries in a pocket). I've never had a problem with having access to electricity but I was not camping somewhere remote, I stayed in lodges (brick and mortar) and tent sites (hardly actually tent's as they are pretty lush). Just be sure to take two converters (these have USB plug-ins) in case one does not work and don't forget the correct plugs. I have never worried about being robbed but have never put myself in a situation where robbery might be encouraged. Last time I was in a jeep and we drove through various parts of Kenya, I went to a post office and a couple of stores and had no problem. But a robbery could happen anywhere and I always keep an eye on my gear. I've never had any problem with lugguge or my backpack. If something turns out to be too heavy you'll just get charged an extra fee. On binocs...I'm that person who always has the camera in my hand and my finger hovering near the shutter because sometimes you only have seconds to get the shot so I don't bother with binocs, the guides always have them and it's their job to find the wildlife. I'm assuming, based on what you wrote, that this is your first trip of this kind and I think you may be stressing a bit too much. I travel often to various places out of the country and things generally turn out fine. Funny story on the Z9 and Kenya...I grabbed my camera and bag, jumped into the jeep, and we took off, traveling over a very rough road for several miles. When we got into the park I picked up my camera and realized that I had left the battery and battery cover, in that camera you can take the whole cover off, back in the lodge. I knew I had a second battery in my bag and I asked the driver if he had electric tape, he did, so I taped the battery into the battery slot with electrical tape...worked just fine!

Thank you for your input. In this case, I will just take the key chain version of the knife (smaller and lighter).

I too will be staying in lodges, so hopefully charging wont be an issue as well. admit, one more reason for not taking the Z8 is risk of damage.. if anything happens to it, I can't afford buying another one (even with insurance / which I have / capped at 5K).

I share your view about robbery.. can happen anywhere and can usually be avoided by staying vigilant. I do admit we got once stolen at gunpoint, by 2 thieves on a scooter (in the middle east)..

haha... yes, quick and dirty solutions can come in handy at times.. and I admit I too once left on a local trip with a camera that did not have the battery.. unlike you, I had no backup and had to take photos with my phone instead (which sucked) 🤪

I also suggest Z8 with extra batteries. Compared to quite recently (even 3 years ago), recharging the ENEL15 and ENEL18 batteries has become a non-issue 'out there' even away from mains AC power. The solution is to get a power bank and quality USB PD cables to charge batteries in the MH-34 or equivalent.

Charging USB PD compatible devices is simple in a vehicle, especially if the operator has extra 12v DC plug points in the car (which they should have sorted) for an Anker PD or similar charger. Otherwise carry a portable bank

Last edited:
Back