Gimbal and Monopod for bird photography?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Thanks for your thoughts.
In recent years I've been hand holding more for the kind of mobility you describe but overall I do a lot of my more serious photography from a tripod or occasionally a monopod. In my experience slowing down a bit and using some form of camera support can really help a lot of folks and can improve images compared to always using a run and gun style.

That said, I know some folks that exclusively hand hold and deliver great images. I do feel that the time spent shooting from a solid support (and that includes things like bean bags) has helped me even when I hand hold as it taught me to do things like carefully consider my backgrounds and when to get low vs stay high for best perspective and other things. IOW, I have to think a bit harder when working from a support, especially a tripod, but that slowing down and thinking a bit more about things like shooting angle and height translate really well to times when I am hand holding.

I have been using the Nikon 200-500 collar with the Wimberly P30 on my MH-100 without any issues.

I use Threadlocker Orange on the screw from the mounting plate to the collar foot. Nothing is going to work loose!

The Threadlocker Orange is really strong but does not require "special tools" to remove the object on all my mounting threads. Don't use the permanent Threadlocker because it is REALLY difficult to uncouple things!!

That is one of the reasons why I did not buy the RRS Collar because that would be 2 potential places for the camera to work loose (the AS mount to the camera and then the AS mount to the tripod). I'm sure someone will jump in with a comment on their RRS collar experiences.

Being the paranoid individual that I am, I always use a safety tether, especially since I carry the monopod across my shoulder, with a pool noodle with a slit cut, to pad my shoulder. Here is a link to using straps/tethers: https://bcgforums.com/index.php?threads/straps-love-em-or-hate-em.5984/

The monopod and noodle definitely make the 200-500 MUCH less strenuous to carry long distances! You can hook the camera against your back as you walk. Steve has a video of that somewhere on the site.
Re threadlocker, for ease of disassembly its best to use the low strength blue. You can use a higher grade if you don’t plan to remove it. Which ever grade you choose, disassembly can be aided by careful application of heat, just enough to soften it.

Ginnie and I shoot D-500/500pf, a very light combo. To that we may add a Sirui 6 section monopod and the mono-gimble. Total weight is 7#. The 500pf collar rotates very smoothly (this is important).

By slanting the monopod backward you are able to gain height. However, it is often necessary to pick up the entire rig and shoot hand-held.

What I find is that it is much easier to get a single point AF on the head/eye when using the monopod/monogimble but it is easier to track without the monopod hanging on the camera. It kinda gets in the way.

Last edited:
...By slanting the monopod backward you are able to gain height. However, it is often necessary to pick up the entire rig and shoot hand-held.

What I find is that it is much easier to get a single point AF on the head/eye when using the monopod/monogimble but it is easier to track without the monopod hanging on the camera. It kinda gets in the way.
Most sporting goods stores sell shooting sticks which are basically a monopod with either a vee shaped rubber cushioned fitting on top or a small bean bag with a threaded plate on bottom to attach to the stick. With either of these you can have the best of both worlds. Support on the monopod when you want it or just pick you camera up and swing on a bird when you need to without lifting the weight of the monopod/head. I use a Sirui 6 piece monopod with one of the bean bag attachments on it. Works great. You just have to figure out a technique for controlling where the monopod goes when you lift off of it. If you've already got it leaned backward it will just fall against you and stay their unless you make a radical move.

Most sporting goods stores sell shooting sticks which are basically a monopod with either a vee shaped rubber cushioned fitting on top or a small bean bag with a threaded plate on bottom to attach to the stick. With either of these you can have the best of both worlds. Support on the monopod when you want it or just pick you camera up and swing on a bird when you need to without lifting the weight of the monopod/head. I use a Sirui 6 piece monopod with one of the bean bag attachments on it. Works great. You just have to figure out a technique for controlling where the monopod goes when you lift off of it. If you've already got it leaned backward it will just fall against you and stay their unless you make a radical move.
It is true that using a Sirui 6 piece monopod as a hiking stick, I can simply position my d500-500pf on top of the Wimberly monogimble for support. Unfortunately, the proper height for shooting (eye level) is not the proper height for a walking stick if the strap is used correctly. I am not really a good test subject because I need to be sitting on my walkstool to really reliably position a single focus point but it doesn't work for me. I need the monogimble properly engaged and either lean against a tree or sit down.

Ok. So I've been doing research and I'm now considering the E-Magic MC-600 carbon fiber monopod and the Wimberley MH-100 monopod gimbal head.

My last concern is should I:
1) keep using the Nikon foot & collar that came with my 200-500mm lens and add the $55 Wimberley P-30 Quick Release plate (recommended by Wimberley for this lens), OR
2) should I get the $250 Really Right Stuff (RRS) Collar and Foot package?

Solution #1 is much less expensive, but some have said that the RSS collar rotates more smoothly if going from landscape to portrait orientation than the one that came with the Nikon 200-500mm lens.

Any suggestions?
I have the Gitzo 4552L, Wimberley MH-100, and use it with a few Arca Swiss feet specific to a 600f4, 300 f2.8, and even a 70-200 with multiplier. Love the setup.
Before giving the 200-500 5.6 to my youngest, I used that lens on this setup with the Wimberly plate. It worked fine.
Enjoy..

And if I understand all this correctly, I will need to purchase the Really Right Stuff Collar Foot Package for Nikon AF-S 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR Lens, to use the Wimberly gimbal head WITH the monopod?

This is starting to look like a rather expensive solution.

It doesn't have to be expensive -- my favorite monopod is my alpenstock which began life as a birch sapling cut to length with a 3/8 hanger bolt (available at most hardware stores) inserted in the upper end and a rubber chair foot on the lower end. On the hanger bolt is a used Manfroto tilt-head (less than $25 on Ebay) with an Arca-Swiss quick release. The tilt-head provides up/down and rotating the monopod side to side. All my cameras have generic L-brackets (none more than $28) permanently attached. I much prefer this monopod to my telescoping monopod -- it's extremely sturdy and if I somehow broke the shaft a new one is free for the cutting.

Back