Gimbal head

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have used the Induro Sidekick Induro_485_000_GHBA_Gimbal_Head_655338.jpg
I use it with my lightweight tripod and find it works well with lenses up to my Z9 plus 100-400 lens.
Modest price. Adequate quality and easy to carry/use with my $150 tripod.

PS - I am 72 with mobility and muscular issues. Light weight enough for this lens/camera combo.
Hi Joe, thanks! Light is an appealing word.

I have (and was using) a Wimberly sidekick with smaller setups, that's what I'm trying to get away from when I transitioned to the 600TC (with the Z9). It felt very precarious while putting it on and taking it off the side mount, like one misstep and the rig would be on the ground. I didn't like that feeling. I'm back to using my older flatfooted Oben gimbal, albeit a cheap knockoff.

I'll probably end up getting the WH-200 and use my Oben as a backup.

I have at least $3000 worth of tripod gadgetry I bought over the last 25 years. Its all still rattling around under the seat in my truck. Never used it once, but got it just incase.

I have the WH-200 and RRS Ball Head for lighter shooting days. The WH-200 although great is not perfect, I wish it had the RRS Quick Release Lever on Arca plate connection that my ball head does. That being said I would never consider buying the cheaper knock off. I can picture throwing the tripod legs with camera attached over my shoulder and marching a mile out of some river bed and being confident that Gimbal Head is not going to snap with the tension sending my Z9 and whatever lens I happened to have mounted down the hillside to the river. A made up scenario you say, well not quite. In addition, I wonder how well the cheaper head balances a heaver camera with a long lens attached?

I have the WH-200 and RRS Ball Head for lighter shooting days. The WH-200 although great is not perfect, I wish it had the RRS Quick Release Lever on Arca plate connection that my ball head does. That being said I would never consider buying the cheaper knock off. I can picture throwing the tripod legs with camera attached over my shoulder and marching a mile out of some river bed and being confident that Gimbal Head is not going to snap with the tension sending my Z9 and whatever lens I happened to have mounted down the hillside to the river. A made up scenario you say, well not quite. In addition, I wonder how well the cheaper head balances a heaver camera with a long lens attached?
I put a RRS quick release under my WH200. You do could that also.....

I also just purchased and used the Jobu Jr 3 Delux and find it an acceptable solution when I want to go as light as possible. I tested it with the Z 600mm TC.....

I put a RRS quick release under my WH200. You do could that also.....

I also just purchased and used the Jobu Jr 3 Delux and find it an acceptable solution when I want to go as light as possible. I tested it with the Z 600mm TC.....
In what scenario should u go back to the 200 if the jobu does what's expected, at a lighter cost?

In what scenario should u go back to the 200 if the jobu does what's expected, at a lighter cost?

The Jobu does work as expected. Acceptable - but not as precise and easy to work with as the WH-200. When I will be using my Z 600mm TC almost exclusively, I will take the WH-200.....even when flying.

When using the 600mm only occasionally/sporadically, I will take the Joby Jr 3 Deluxe.

Both are tools - each for different use situations.

Back