Glasses wearers - experience with eyecaps like Zemlin’s

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Am thinking about an eyecap like Zemlin’s. I’m nearsighted, and wear my glasses on a silicon strap so I can drop them easily when shooting, tho sometimes the action happens fast enough that its not practical. For those of you shooting wildlife while wearing glasses, do you use the eyecaps and like them? Camera is a Z8.

I use Zemlin's on Z9s and Z8, and while wearing my glasses. The Zemlin eye-cups are comfortable, work well, and seem durable. (I have one 'extra' eye-cup, purchased as a 'spare', but I'm unlikely to need it unless I buy another Z8!)

The round eyecups do nothing for me as i still get light pollution between my cheek/eye and my glasses. So i use the Hoodman with the side that wraps around my glasses a bit and that blacks out all the light

Last edited:
I never really had too much trouble when I had Nikon dSLRs and used the large round eyecup - DK 19? - but now with the Z cameras trying to find something is more difficult.

I've had some success with a cheap eyecup form Amazon. It can turn to suit either eye and it is soft enough to squash down when my glasses hit it and this does block the light a bit. It is not perfect but it's not bad and at the low price I paid it might be worth you trying one.

In the UK I can't get the Hoodman that looks bigger than the one I got so might be better.

I do as you do. I put my glasses on a retention string so I can remove them and drop them on my chest while shooting. I have the Zemlin cups on both of my cameras and really like them.

The Zemlin eyecap didn't work for me wearing my glasses, tho I really didn't really expect it to; bought it anyway as I'm an optimist :) On and off again with my glasses (prescription sunglasses) is far too annoying for me so I live with the eye manipulations I have to do to see the full scope of information in the viewfinder with the supplied eyecap.

Thanks all. I like the idea of trying a low cost option first, then springing for the good stuff if it works out (or just stick with the low cost!) Will check out Amazon and do a test run.

I got one of these for my Canon EOS R7 and it works well, seems reasonably well made and at the cost, if it does break, I'll just get another one. It has been on my Canon camera for 8 months now and drug through all kinds of weather, terrain, in and out of camera bags, in and out of the car, and having camera slung over my shoulder many miles.

If one is wanting to try different eye cups, I think these are a viable option at a low cost to see if they work for you and your photography. If it doesn't work out, you're out less than a cup of fancy coffee.

First let me say that I wear my eyeglasses all of the time when I'm not doing photography.

I have the Zemlin eyecups on both my Z8 and Z9, and while they work ok with glasses, I don't like the pressure that I end up exerting on my eyeglasses when I try to look at the view finder with glasses on. So I actually prefer to go without eyeglasses and rely on the diopter correction to keep things sufficiently in focus.

I have at times worn my eyeglasses on retention straps, so that I could quickly put them on and off when needed, but I have found that became a bit of a hassle when I'm using a shoulder strap (which is nearly all of the time when I'm shooting wildlife). So now I typically just go without wearing my glasses at all, and just keep them in a case in my pocket so that I have them with me if needed.

If I am going to be walking for any length of time, then often I will go ahead and put my glasses on, but once I stop to shoot they always go back in my pocket. This is also the case when I'm doing landscape photography.

YMMV.

First let me say that I wear my eyeglasses all of the time when I'm not doing photography.

I have the Zemlin eyecups on both my Z8 and Z9, and while they work ok with glasses, I don't like the pressure that I end up exerting on my eyeglasses when I try to look at the view finder with glasses on. So I actually prefer to go without eyeglasses and rely on the diopter correction to keep things sufficiently in focus.

I have at times worn my eyeglasses on retention straps, so that I could quickly put them on and off when needed, but I have found that became a bit of a hassle when I'm using a shoulder strap (which is nearly all of the time when I'm shooting wildlife). So now I typically just go without wearing my glasses at all, and just keep them in a case in my pocket so that I have them with me if needed.

If I am going to be walking for any length of time, then often I will go ahead and put my glasses on, but once I stop to shoot they always go back in my pocket. This is also the case when I'm doing landscape photography.

YMMV.
My problem is I do a lot of wildlife and nature photography. Without my glasses on, there is no way I could spot a bird up in a tree or even a deer if it were in the brush. Putting glasses on, taking hem off to shoot and putting them on again is a hassle to me. I've just learned to shoot with glasses on and if I miss a little bit in the corners of the viewfinder, I'm OK, that is wha the crop tool is for. haha, lol...
Jeff

"My problem is I do a lot of wildlife and nature photography."

That's my issue as well. I may have adapted easily to the use of the eye-cup, in part, because I'm well retired and go out to photograph birds on nearly every day I don't need to do laundry or grocery shopping. It would be quite a hassle to be constantly switching from glasses ON to glasses OFF.

That, and my nearsightedness makes it difficult to even Locate the viewfinder (nevermind the birds!) without my glasses...

I use the Zemlin eyecup on my Z8 with glasses. Massive improvement compared to my old D500 where I had to add a diopter correction in front of the viewfinder and had to take off my glasses to use the camera.
It is important that Finder Display Size (Photo Lv) in the Setup Menu is changed to small, otherwise you cannot view the whole display when wearing glasses. No need to push in on the eyecup to see everything when set to small.

There's a lot of personal preference around eye cup eyepieces. I wear glasses all the time when shooting and designed the eye cup to be comfortable with glasses or without. It is very soft silicone so it does not exert much force against the glasses, but level of comfort will depend on the fit of your glasses, how the frames flex, and your personal habits with how you press the camera to your face. A few folks have suggested I make the rubber a little stiffer, but I get a lot more who say it's the best, most comfortable eye cup they've ever used. I offer 30 day returns and cover the return shipping cost.

Tried the cheap Amazon eyecups with the extension to the side. It seemed like a good idea and it actually works. The issue is that you have to rotate the cup when you switch between vertical and horizontal. Shooting wildlife that just didn't work. Way too slow a process. Bought Zemlin eyecups for both my Z8 and Z9 and it's the best eyecup I've ever used. I have to have my glasses on all the time and this setup is ideal for me. As someone else mentioned, you have to change the viewfinder display setting to small to make it easy to see everything without having to press down on the eyecup.

I have been using the Zemlin on my Z9 and I wouldn't be without it. I wear my glasses all the time and the soft silicone eye cup doesn't put any pressure on my frameless glasses. I tried the Hoodman and didn't like it at all, I found it too stiff. The Zemlin also folds well when the camera is in a case.

Am thinking about an eyecap like Zemlin’s. I’m nearsighted, and wear my glasses on a silicon strap so I can drop them easily when shooting, tho sometimes the action happens fast enough that its not practical. For those of you shooting wildlife while wearing glasses, do you use the eyecaps and like them? Camera is a Z8.
I nuke the Hoodman for glasses. Works great and you can rotate it for left/right eye dominant. Only thing is, is that it does get knocked off easily. Is the Zemlin snug ?

I have the Hoodman Eye Cup for Z8 and Z9. They make models for eyeglasses and non-eyeglasses that look very similar so make sure to select the correct one when ordering. These work well and the rubber is flexible enough to fold down if you find the cup isn’t working for you in some shooting positions. About $30 on Amazon.

Back