Glasses wearers - experience with eyecaps like Zemlin’s

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I followed Hudson Henry's advice on the DIY eyecup hack. It was easy to do and cost me only $22.00 Cdn.
Hudson's been using Hoodman, but he ordered a couple of mine that I'll be shipping out Monday. Apparently he's been having to replace the Hoodmans ... I don't know the details ... his buddy, David Archer, has mine, loves them, and hasn't had any issues with them.

Hudson's been using Hoodman, but he ordered a couple of mine that I'll be shipping out Monday. Apparently he's been having to replace the Hoodmans ... I don't know the details ... his buddy, David Archer, has mine, loves them, and hasn't had any issues with them.
Karl, your eyecup would cost me $52.37 CD, tax, shipping plus duty, compared to my total cost, of $22.18 CD!
The hack works for me.

Last edited:
Shortly after I started using my Z9, I found I scratched by glasses using the OEM Nikon eyecup. I switched to Zemlin and have solved any issues on the Z9 and Z8. One of my eyecups is at least 2 years old and still going strong. Wouldn't want to use anything else. (I am nearsighted). I found that Zemlin makes superior products, including their lens hoods which I also use. YMMV. Best of luck.

Just wanted to update this thread with a new offering Zemlin just released. He has come out with an improved DK-33 replacement. Uses the standard DK-33 rubber and his own adapter. They sold out quick, but I managed to get in before they did and I should have 1 to try on Saturday.

I currently use his eyecup, love it, but I wanted to try a more lower profile eyepiece to see how it works.

Nikon Z8, Z9 & Zf Eyepiece - DK-33 Style

Just wanted to update this thread with a new offering Zemlin just released. He has come out with an improved DK-33 replacement. Uses the standard DK-33 rubber and his own adapter. They sold out quick, but I managed to get in before they did and I should have 1 to try on Saturday.

I currently use his eyecup, love it, but I wanted to try a more lower profile eyepiece to see how it works.

Nikon Z8, Z9 & Zf Eyepiece - DK-33 Style
Let us know your results. I fear that would scratch my glasses. Best of luck.

I have tried all the different eyecups with and without glasses. I much prefer the Zemlin.

I have both glasses and contact lenses.

I have tried the various eyecups on the market and I much prefer the Zemlin. I can use my glasses with the Zemlin effectively but have problems with the other brands.

I am nearsighted which means I can’t see distance without glasses or contacts. Nearsighted means you also have an advantage when working close because your eyes see really well when focusing close. The problem with nature however is a condition called presbyopia. Presbyopia does not mean you are looking at life through the eyes of the Presbyterian faith, it means that as you get older your eyes don’t shift focus so easily. Translated to the real life of a nearsighted person it means you end up having to use reading glasses a lot. It also means if you put your regular glasses down somewhere you might have more trouble finding them. Such is life for the aging nearsighted.

Optometrists have come up with solutions that (mostly) work. Their prescriptions are often “detuned” so you can see closer with one eye so you don’t have to grab readers all the time. Older solutions have involved bifocals which have built in readers.

I have tried all of these and none of them works ideally for photography. I need distance to spot subjects but sometimes I have trouble being able to see some of the details on the back screen. On top of which my glasses are photo sensitive which means they darken when outdoors in bright light. Convenient, I don’t need to wear sunglasses, but it means the darkened lenses make the viewfinder and rear screen darker and harder to see.

OK I am done whining about old age. Zemlin does not solve aging, he just makes great eyecups that work well with glasses.

I'm another in the glasses-off for shooting camp. I'm pretty used to the process at this point. I use the DK-17 and am likely going to grab a + diopter at some point. I've gotten good at sliding my glasses up with the eyecup, so I don't really have to do the on-off thing much. Same with sunglasses.

Back