Gloves for winter photography (Help required please)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi Harry, good to see another representative from N. Ireland on this forum--welcome. I bought a pair of VALLERRET gloves for a Polar trip this July, which has had to be postponed for a year. I too, get very cold fingers if out for any length of time in cold weather, and these gloves seem to do the job. They have fold back finger tips on index and thumb to allow for skin contact on the camera controls . If you are interested I can let you try them on to see if they might be suitable (unless, of course you have hands like Pat Jennings--our famous ex-international football goalkeeper !! ). Cheers David.

Cheers David - I will take you up on that kind offer ,,,if you`d like to PM me we can make arrangements ....

Harry.G

Something I learned when doing underwater photography in very cold water (water sucks heat 27x more than air) was that if my trunk and legs were warm my body did not reduce the circulation in my hands and feet to conserve energy. I now take the same approach outdoors with layering and wind breaking outer clothing and true winter grade boots.

The best gloves overall that I have found are the ones made for use by sound technicians so that there is no noise generated when they are handling microphones and connectors. The Setwear Stealth gloves come in black or green and tan and they make it easy to keep them on and manage the camera and lens controls. Second best but not as warm are the gloves made for bicyclists.

Disposable hand warmers are a worthwhile addition but doubt they can be in ones luggage if traveling by air.

A separate but related concern is keeping the front element of the lens from fogging and for that I use dew heaters that are powered off small rechargeable battery packs. They come in a range of sizes and are adjustable to get a good fit on the lens.

I use gloves, liners and handwarmers from the The Heat Company.
Have used them above the Polarcircle with the three layer system, but normally the winters don’t get that cold overhere (guess the same like Ireland) so I use only the glove with a merino liner.
Quality is topnotch and the system is adaptable to your needs
Glove wo liner, glove with liner, glove liner and polar hood but also liner plus polarhood or just the liner.
Highly recommended.
I also use the layered system from The Heat Company and couldn't be happier. As the "queen of cold hands" I searched long and hard for something extremely warm yet functional. I purchased the wind pro liner (snug fit that allows for great dexterity) and then the shell (very soft and pliable leather palm and nylon mitten). I found that, while I love the dexterity of a glove, none of them kept my fingers warm, and using mittens alone was simply too cumbersome. This glove - mitten combination is comfortable, works very well, and can be used in cool weather with just the liner or in frigid weather with the shell (and heat packs if needed). You could design your own (similar) system but the many small, thoughtful design features of The Heat Company's gloves swayed me. A very worthwhile investment!

Harry, guess you missed it. (I’m too better with a camera than a PC LOL)

I can not recommend the Heat gloves too highly. I have used them in. Yellowstone winter and Svalbard. I have just received my second pair. The first were with the integral liners, I have bought the second with separate liners. I have got medium sized hands and originally had size 10. With the recent purchase I went for size 9 for the liners (merino) as I prefer the tighter feel at the finger tips. Amazing gloves in very cold conditions.

I can not recommend the Heat gloves too highly. I have used them in. Yellowstone winter and Svalbard. I have just received my second pair. The first were with the integral liners, I have bought the second with separate liners. I have got medium sized hands and originally had size 10. With the recent purchase I went for size 9 for the liners (merino) as I prefer the tighter feel at the finger tips. Amazing gloves in very cold conditions.

Please forgive me for being nosy but why can’t you recommend them? And why did you buy another pair?

Yep although the sewn in liners do okay I too prefer the separate Merino liners for versatility like I stated in my former post.
BTW I use a lot of Merino underwear and T-shirts, love that stuff! LOL

Last edited:
My Raynaud’s has worsened significantly in recent years, and often makes photography in even cool weather challenging. I have many different gloves and use them in different combinations with varying success. In 2019 I was planning a trip to Grimséy Island in the Arctic Circle and knew nothing I had would be adequate. So I started a search for an electric glove liner that was thin enough to combine with an overglove and still be functional for photography. After a lot of researching and trying several different ones I settled on the heated glove liners from Power in Motion, a Canadian company that originally developed these for use with snowmobiles.

Once I got these I experimented with many, many different “overgloves” including Goretex ones that would fit and still allow me to operate camera controls. I ended up keeping 3 of these—one waterproof and two not. I then spent some time practicing with these combinations to get comfortable for photography including BIF.

This system proved to be an absolute lifesaver in Iceland! I got an extra set of batteries as well as the optional wiring harness that allows the batteries to be kept in your pocket instead of on the gloves. I would shoot all morning and then come in for lunch, at which time I would change the batteries and plug the used ones in to charge while I was out for the afternoon. Only on one particularly long morning did my batteries run out—my fingers were virtually useless within 15 minutes! Also, one morning I shot for hours in steady rain using the Goretex overglove s and the system worked flawlessly. No doubt this system is overkill for many/most but for me this trip would not have been possible without them!

View attachment 7295View attachment 7296View attachment 7297
View attachment 7298
Awesome shots!

Awesome shots!
Thanks! Grimséy is a special place and I am not sure I have ever had more photographic fun!

6FC9D0EA-672C-44F0-9F43-CC1988805E14.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
FAA4BBF4-1E43-4F34-902F-B6997F69AE10.jpeg

Most were shot with a Nikon D850 and 300 PF or 500 PF. Some were shot with a D500 with the 300 PF. I also took my 400/2.8 but barely used it.

DD1DE550-0775-4E90-B3B6-8373F6F43F24.jpeg
7BEF3C80-AD29-4FE4-81A5-CD6ED52939ED.jpeg
C6632087-29DA-45D1-A04A-10C537B3D51C.jpeg

Hi Guys

As this will be my first season shooting Autumn and Winter scenes plus hopefully some birds I`d like some advice from you guys as to what type of Gloves you would recommend for shooting in Winter conditions ?

I suffer very cold fingertips when the temperatures drop even a little in Winter so I`d like to be prepared as I wouldn`t want a simple thing like cold fingers to spoil a day out.... Being in Northern Ireland (UK) we dont get down to minus 20`s or 30`s in fact not that often below minus 10 either however a Winters day with wet windy weather and it can be sore on the hands with the wind chill factored in ..

I suppose I am stating the obvious here but I`d like something with a good grip thats not to bulky - Cost is not an issue - as long as they are good and do what they say then I dont mind shelling out extra $$ ££ .......

Thanks in advance

Harry.G
I have Raynaud's Phenomenon and this is the glove and glove liner system that I (currently) use when photographing in the winter. Gobi battery heated glove liners https://gobiheat.com/collections/mens/products/stealth-heated-glove-liners?variant=7338135093299. The outer shell is made by The Heat Company Shell https://theheatcompany.us/pages/popular-combinations. The Heat Company shell has a pocket for a hand warmer, the small hand warmers do not work for me, I use the larger Super Warmers such as the ones by HotHands. Additionally I use battery heated insoles made for skiing in my boots and chemical toe warmers. If you choose to use chemical warmers make sure you follow the directions and allow them to get hot before putting them in your gloves or boots. They need air to activate and the reduced air flow in your gloves and boots does not allow them to fully activate. I find that I will use (go through) 2 to 4 warmers per day in each glove. Will this keep your hands and feet nice and toasty, if you suffer from Raynaud's like I do the answer is NO but your outside. I also keep battery heated mittens in the vehicle to help warm up after shooting. Hope this gives you some ideas.

Hi Guys
As this will be my first season shooting Autumn and Winter scenes plus hopefully some birds I`d like some advice from you guys as to what type of Gloves you would recommend for shooting in Winter conditions ?

When I was a motorcyclist I rode all year round. In the winter I used to use silk inner gloves (nylon are cheaper), admittedly over mororcycling gloves, but they might do well with thinner gloves that you can use for photography. Two or more pairs of inners can be used too. I also used to cut the feet/lower legs off my wife's tights to wear under my socks that were under my 'seaboot' socks with them all under my riding boots!

I know someone who uses heated ski gloves for photography. AFAIK they are powered by a small pack in your pocket with the wires in your sleeves.

In usual times I often visit UK in January, and parts of Africa fall below freezing in winter, sometimes with drizzle etc. Read about these somewhere - recommended by a UK landscape photographer, and so I flagged these Sealskin gloves to get...particularly as they are waterproof. Note they make a range for different conditions. Some of their designs sound ideal to handle a camera

I have Sealskinz gloves and they are good for staying dry but they are nowhere near warm enough for my degree of Raynaud’s. Everyone is different but as I wrote before for me in significant cold weather only heated gloves prevent the symptoms.

Back