Golden Orb spider

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Callie

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Taken in Kruger NP. They sometimes have their nest on the railings of bridges. They can reach 100mm blacklegs to front-legs.
From the web: It is not the largest spider, but makes the largest and strongest web, deriving its name from the golden colour of its silk. The silk is strong enough to trap small birds which it does not eat, but can damage the web. To negate such potential damage the female often leaves a visible line of insect husks on the web (likened to a safety strip across a glass door). The tiny males are able to steal the females food without her even noticing. Their venom is harmless to man.
I still would not want to walk into a nest. We have seen nests spanning between bushes 5 m wide and 1,5m high. Several females are using such large webs. Normally, they have their own webs.
The male is minute 10%, of the female's size.
01598W D500 9858.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Taken in Kruger NP. They sometimes have their nest on the railings of bridges. They can reach 100mm blacklegs to front-legs.
From the web: It is not the largest spider, but makes the largest and strongest web, deriving its name from the golden colour of its silk. The silk is strong enough to trap small birds which it does not eat, but can damage the web. To negate such potential damage the female often leaves a visible line of insect husks on the web (likened to a safety strip across a glass door). The tiny males are able to steal the females food without her even noticing. Their venom is harmless to man.
I still would not want to walk into a nest. We have seen nests spanning between bushes 5 m wide and 1,5m high. Several females are using such large webs. Normally, they have their own webs.
The male is minute 10%, of the female's size.
View attachment 85184
Fascinating Spider with quite an impressive sized nest.
Happy trails.

I managed at some point in my life to 'get over' my fear of spiders (I've always thought them beautiful and fascinating) but walking into a web of the sort you describe would undo my brain! :) Nice shot; impressive animal!

I managed at some point in my life to 'get over' my fear of spiders (I've always thought them beautiful and fascinating) but walking into a web of the sort you describe would undo my brain! :) Nice shot; impressive animal!
Steven, I agree. They give me the creeps and those webs, just cannot imagine it - a nail on corrugated iron - pure shivers.

Back