Good app to identify birds : Picture Bird

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

PhD69

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Not sure is this topic has already been discussed.

I’ve been using this app for a while : Picture Bird

Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 10.39.45.png

And I’m pretty bluffed. The principle is simple: just photograph an image of a bird (on the screen of a computer for example) and Picture Bird identifies it.

I take advantage of the wide variety of species presented on Backcountry Gallery to put this software to the test.

After more than 150 tests, I don’t remember a failed attempt.
In some cases, where the bird is not well positioned on the image, Picture Bird still finds the right answer.

If you have comments about this product or if you have other solutions that work well (on iPhone and Mac), feel free to share them.

Works as well on:

Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 10.41.48.png

Users' comments in 'Ratings and Reviews' (App Store):
  • I'm not sure if I'm going to be charged.
  • I deleted the app straight away though not feeling confident they won't still charge me.
  • The app is advertised as free but this is not correct.
  • As soon as you have downloaded it, it is an automatic subscription requiring you to cancel in order not to pay.
  • This really is scamming people out of their money.
  • I was charged within a few days of downloading and before the trial period was over.
  • Cancel option is hidden deep in settings somewhere.
  • It says for a one week free trial before you are charged and they didn't even say how much it costs!
  • This app is a scam.
  • Can't delete or remove from subscriptions.
  • I am not using this app and wish to cancel but have been unsuccessful.
  • Very hard to unsubscribe.
  • Does not declare pricing or in-app purchases.
  • Find I subscribed to an annual fee after feeling safe it was a free app.
  • I too cannot stop the recurring cost of subscription!
  • How do you cancel this?
  • It looks like it's free but apparently not.
  • Looks free. It's not.
  • Annoying to unsubscribe.
  • How do I cancel the app?
And so on…

Last edited:
It looks like its similar to Merlin Photo ID. Do you have any idea of what geographic areas are covered or not covered? The comments with confusion over the cost look disturbing.

Merlin identifies by either sound or a photo. It works quite well for both - even with out of focus images of uncommon birds or birds in transition to breeding plumage. Merlin is from Cornell University - the people who developed eBird. Like eBird, Merlin is free.

Users' comments in 'Ratings and Reviews' (App Store):
  • I'm not sure if I'm going to be charged.
  • I deleted the app straight away though not feeling confident they won't still charge me.
  • The app is advertised as free but this is not correct.
  • As soon as you have downloaded it, it is an automatic subscription requiring you to cancel in order not to pay.
  • This really is scamming people out of their money.
  • I was charged within a few days of downloading and before the trial period was over.
  • Cancel option is hidden deep in settings somewhere.
  • It says for a one week free trial before you are charged and they didn't even say how much it costs!
  • This app is a scam.
  • Can't delete or remove from subscriptions.
  • I am not using this app and wish to cancel but have been unsuccessful.
  • Very hard to unsubscribe.
  • Does not declare pricing or in-app purchases.
  • Find I subscribed to an annual fee after feeling safe it was a free app.
  • I too cannot stop the recurring cost of subscription!
  • How do you cancel this?
  • It looks like it's free but apparently not.
  • Looks free. It's not.
  • Annoying to unsubscribe.
  • How do I cancel the app?
And so on…
Thank you for your answer, but ... the comments that you take from the App Store are "on charge".

There are two things to note:
1/ The app collects 4.7/ 5 out of 22 300 ratings, which is pretty good, right?
2/ Using myself the app on iOS and MacOS, I will say that those who do not know how to stop a subscription... do not know how to use the App Store.
Everything is clearly defined: price, possibility to stop a subscription (Which is not worth $60 but actually +-$40), clearly mentioned on the page I've provided.

Note that I do not seek to defend this application, but only to give a clear view of a software that I use and that works properly.

Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 12.25.59.png

Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 12.28.10.png

I use an app called Seek all the time. I just hold the phone up to an existing picture of a bird ... or a flower or a wasp or a tree ... and it tries to identify it. It's quick and surprisingly accurate. I use while out hiking to look at an actual plant and get an id. Or back at the computer, I show it a picture of a bird or insect on the monitor.

I’ve recently been using Merlin but I initially learned by getting Sibley’s book and just doing it the hard way for a number of years. I use Seek for plants and insects as well though it can be frustrating to use when it just can’t figure out what it’s looking at.

Merlin has some gaps outside of North America. I talked with someone recently who had been to Costa Rica and they had less than 50% successfully identified by Merlin Photo ID. In my area it's near 100% with a reasonably good photo - even for uncommon birds.

Merlin has some gaps outside of North America. I talked with someone recently who had been to Costa Rica and they had less than 50% successfully identified by Merlin Photo ID. In my area it's near 100% with a reasonably good photo - even for uncommon birds.
To be as efficient as possible, local databases have to be loaded in Merlin to ensure the best possible recognition. They depend on the area you're visiting / looking for.

Like this ("Obtenir" = "To get / install") :

IMG_88AE6EF30411-1.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Not as a replacement to Merlin, but I just noticed that iPhone photos does bird ID. You can access this feature by opening a picture in Apple Photos and then dragging up to reveal photo details. At the top of the detail section it will give you a suggestion for a bird ID. On the 2 pics I tried it was pretty good... identifying a black breasted plover and a dowitcher. It also puts highlights around the bird to show what it found...

1711486206991.png

Not as a replacement to Merlin, but I just noticed that iPhone photos does bird ID. You can access this feature by opening a picture in Apple Photos and then dragging up to reveal photo details. At the top of the detail section it will give you a suggestion for a bird ID. On the 2 pics I tried it was pretty good... identifying a black breasted plover and a dowitcher. It also puts highlights around the bird to show what it found...

View attachment 85237
Interesting, let’s get a try to this solution ;)

I use an app called Seek all the time. I just hold the phone up to an existing picture of a bird ... or a flower or a wasp or a tree ... and it tries to identify it. It's quick and surprisingly accurate. I use while out hiking to look at an actual plant and get an id. Or back at the computer, I show it a picture of a bird or insect on the monitor.
I use Seek (part of iNaturalist) in addition to Merlin….both are great!

Not impressed by this bird app…especially as it’s subscription based. I‘m very happy with Merlin. They’re also on a mission, and that’s not about making money

I was also somewhat disappointed with Merlin in Costa Rica.

I don't have the answer. I've pushed the question to Picture Bird support team.
Answer from Picture Bird support team : " I'm delighted to inform you that PictureBird supports the recognition of birds from all over the world, including Europe. You do not need to change your location; our app is designed to identify birds globally "

i’ve been using the identify-by-sound feature of this app and so far it’s been really impressive

Yeah, I use both the photo and sound ID features of Merlin, and while it’s not perfect and shouldn’t be “relied on” necessarily, it’s usually pretty accurate, and at least gives a good place to start for getting a proper ID. I keep meaning to see if their sound ID is in any way related to work I had done back in the 90s when I was at Cornell. I was working on a project for the Navy to identify whales and other marine life sounds, largely for their submarines.

Another app that I use a lot is iNaturalist, for both bird and non-bird IDs. It’ll give you a suggestion, and then it goes out for person/community-based review to confirm or change the ID.

Also note, for bird IDs, the American Birding Association has a FB group specifically for IDs. You post a photo and you get a bunch of experts tell you what it is. I’ve found that resource invaluable for IDs where I wasn’t sure. I don’t have a link to it where I am right now, but if you just search for something like What’s This Bird and ABA or something you should be able to find It.

And finally, back on the sound ID thing …. one thing I got recently that I’ve only *just* started playing with, so don’t have a lot of experience yet, is the Birdweather PUC. I ordered it back when it was a kickstarter, but I think it’s been properly released now. It’s a little device that you can either leave in “live” mode (which requires a WiFi connection) where it continuously listens and IDs birds, or you can put it in offline mode (e.g., while hiking, in the field, or anywhere there isn’t WiFi) and it records the sounds for later ID. It has built-in GPS and records where the IDs take place. The problem I often have with Merlin sound ID is that I’ll hear something and then pull out the phone to get an ID, but often it won’t make another call. Or I’ll be busy with the camera and trying to take a photo so don’t want to bother fumbling with my phone. So my hope was that with something continuously recording while I’m doing my own thing, when I got back home if I was unsure of an ID I could match up the timestamp and/or location of my photo with the recorded sound. I could also go back and review the sound IDs and maybe realize there were critters I missed and where I might want to look for them next time I go out.

In my limited experience so far with the Birdweather PUC, I find it’s about as good with the sound ID as Merlin (In fact I think it leverages the Merlin/Cornell infrastructure but I’m not 100% on that). And it seems to have worked well on the one hike I’ve taken with it and I’ve had it out on the porch the past couple days running in live mode too. I have some usability suggestions for them which I’ll submit, largely that it’s not easy to get to the location information for the offline recordings. At first it didn’t even seem possible, which I found frustrating. Then I found that there was a way to access that information online, but it’s just the GPS coordinates which you then have to copy-paste into google maps to see where it was.

For what it is worth, I spent 11 days in Costa Rica in 2023 and thought Merlin did an excellent job of identifying every bird I asked it to.

Back