Got the A1...sell the A9II or the A7RIV?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

So, I finally broke down and bought the Sony A1, but to finance that purchase, I need to sell either my A9II or my A7RIV. I do mostly wildlife photography along with owls and raptors, not so much songbirds. Any advice on which I should keep as a backup camera? On the one hand, the A9II has better high ISO performance and autofocus but on the other, the A7RIV has 61MP, which gives me greater cropping ability. I can't seem to decide between them. And while yes, I will be mostly using my A1, my MO in Yellowstone and Grand Teton is to keep my main body on the long lens--in this case my Sony 600f4--while the backup body is on my handy, shorter lens, like my 100-400 or 200-600, in case I see something close and have to snap something quick. Which means the backup body WILL be used so I can't just automatically sell the more expensive of the two.
Also thinking about selling my 200-600 since I like the 100-400 better for hiking, though I am also hesitant about that since I've thought about setting the 200-600 on a tripod for video while I shoot the 600 hand-held. But one debate at time.

The A9ii has the old ergonomics and menu system. I’d sell that one so that you can focus on a single design.

So does the A7RIV.

Basically once you get used to an A1 with the new processor, using either of those older bodies really becomes frustrating just because of the small, yet annoying, operational lag throughout the system.

I decided I'd rather deal with just one lens mounted than use those cameras anymore so I sold off both my A9II and A7RIV. If I start travelling again I'll purchase some sort of backup camera but I'm still undecided on which one.

For the OP....I think you just have to decide what is more important to have on your second camera/lens setup....is it resolution or is it top end AF/silent shooting/blackout free, lag free EVF/ 20FPS? Personally I'd take the A9II but I value the stacked sensor benefits a lot more than resolution.

I know it's not as fast as the stacked sensor A9 nor does it have megapixels of the A7RIV, but maybe consider selling both and getting an A7IV as a backup where it gets higher MP than the A9 and faster AF/usability than the A7RIV.

I know the A9 is better at fps and the benefits of a stacked sensor, but the A7IV has the A1's new chipset and AF system along with the faster interface. Plus if you do video it has the focus breathing auto correct.

And in my eyes, if the A9 was a contender against the A7RIV for the OP, then high MP must not be a priority or else the choice would be simple. The A7RIV or another A1.

If it was my choice, I'd go with the A9 as a backup as it's a perfectly capable camera even today and it wouldn't leave me hanging while I waited on my A1 to get repaired/replaced.

Last edited:
This is a tough one. Unless you really think you’ll need the 61MP I’d rather have the faster camera. The a1 having 50MP really gets close to the 7r4 and can easily replace that camera. If you have made it work with the a9II and like the results I’d think it makes sense to keep it as it’s a faster camera and the a1 gives you speed plus MP. If you think the second body will do action than the a9 makes sense. If not than it’s a toss up and MP likely win for me. I was faced with this choice and just bit the bullet and bought two a1’s.

If you plan on using the 2nd body for things that are closer (like you mentioned) and will be essentially filling the frame then I think the A9II is the one to keep (you don't be taking advantage of the cropping power of the RIV). I know I couldn't live without blackout free and silent shooting so that would also tip the scales to the A9II for myself (but not sure if that's important for you).

Back