GPS Unit for Nikon D500

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

This has probably been discussed many times, but can't find any references.

I have a D500 and am spending too much time with locating where my photos were taken.

After several searches on the web it does not seems there are too many options for a gps-unit

I would be interested in what other are using, please

Thank you

Thanks for your reply,
Yes, I have been looking in to Snapbridge, but several reviews are not in favour as the program seems to be slow and erratic.
I haven't tried it myself because of negative reviews.

Thanks for your reply,
Yes, I have been looking in to Snapbridge, but several reviews are not in favour as the program seems to be slow and erratic.
I haven't tried it myself because of negative reviews.

You should try it. The early version was not as sticky, but currently it works quite well. You don't need all the transfer or communication features - just connect it to your camera and it does a great job in tagging locations.

You should try it. The early version was not as sticky, but currently it works quite well. You don't need all the transfer or communication features - just connect it to your camera and it does a great job in tagging locations.
Eric - apologies for hijacking this thread, but I've used the current version of Snapbridge with my D500 and it tags all the photos I take, but only with the initial location...if I travel a distance, the gps co-ordinates remain at where I took the first photo. If I unpair, then restart the app, it tags the current location, so if I want a very accurate gps tag, I have to stop then start the app as I travel. This is a bit of a PITA. What am I missing?
cheers,
Alex

Thanks for all replies.
I tried SnapBridge Version 2.8.2 which seems to be the latest .
However, as AlexY mention, I also found the same problem with SnapBridge.
Several photos showed the exact same location.

Reading some of the reviews in Google Play, a lot of users find the software to be rated as 1 star only.

Just thought there would be an easy way to do gps-location.
I mean, one can purchase a $ 100 mobile phone with all the bells and whistles, plus gps.
But spending thousand of dollars on dlsr's and lenses, gps's seems to be an ongoing issue.
Or am I missing something ?

Thanks,

Thanks for all replies.
I tried SnapBridge Version 2.8.2 which seems to be the latest .
However, as AlexY mention, I also found the same problem with SnapBridge.
Several photos showed the exact same location.

Reading some of the reviews in Google Play, a lot of users find the software to be rated as 1 star only.

Just thought there would be an easy way to do gps-location.
I mean, one can purchase a $ 100 mobile phone with all the bells and whistles, plus gps.
But spending thousand of dollars on dlsr's and lenses, gps's seems to be an ongoing issue.
Or am I missing something ?

Thanks,
Interesting I was also going to recommend Snap Bridge. As a RAW shooter I really liked that even when shooting RAW the GPS location would still record. Guess I’ll need to check if I’m encountering the same problem without realizing it. Maybe check with Nikon and see if they are aware of any such problem. I believe at one time Nikon did sale a GPS unit that attached to the hot shoe, but discontinued it. I’ll check Snap Bridge out over the next few days at the Albuquerque Balloon Festival.

check out "unleased" from a company named "Foolography". I just got one for geotagging my photo's and am very, very pleased with it.
So far the geotagging has worked flawlessly. its a tiny little little thingy that you insert into the usb port on your camara. I believe
its made for time lapse/astro photography, i haven"t tried that aspect of it yet. also, I think B&H are the exclusive sellers in the USA, I bought mine from the manufacturer
in Germany. Recieved it in litarally a couple days and saved quite a bit of money.

check out "unleased" from a company named "Foolography". I just got one for geotagging my photo's and am very, very pleased with it.
So far the geotagging has worked flawlessly. its a tiny little little thingy that you insert into the usb port on your camara. I believe
its made for time lapse/astro photography, i haven"t tried that aspect of it yet. also, I think B&H are the exclusive sellers in the USA, I bought mine from the manufacturer
in Germany. Recieved it in litarally a couple days and saved quite a bit of money.
I recall seeing the N1 from Foolography a while back when looking at remote control, intervalometers etc and had forgotten about the geo tagging.
price looks to be about half of Nikon’s discontinued gps unit

Eric - apologies for hijacking this thread, but I've used the current version of Snapbridge with my D500 and it tags all the photos I take, but only with the initial location...if I travel a distance, the gps co-ordinates remain at where I took the first photo. If I unpair, then restart the app, it tags the current location, so if I want a very accurate gps tag, I have to stop then start the app as I travel. This is a bit of a PITA. What am I missing?
cheers,
Alex

I'm not sure. There may be phone settings involved. Do you have the latest version of software on all devices? It sounds like Snapbridge or the phone is not refreshing location data.

I agree with JT above. I just got an Unleashed from Foolography and it is great! It comes with an app for your phone and in addition to gps it also enables take your photo, start and stop video, change camera modes and adjust all of your camera settings (iso, aperture, shutter speed, WB etc) . It comes with a cable (I haven't received mine yet as the company that makes them for them has had some problems. When foolography gets them they will ship mine to me.) You don't need the cable for the unit to work as all it does is enable you to view the photo on your phone instead of on the back of the camera. The unit plugs in to the 10 pin connector on my D850 and you can't believe how small it is. 1/2"x5/8"x1/4". The cost is about $90. I can't recommend it enough.

I'm not sure. There may be phone settings involved. Do you have the latest version of software on all devices? It sounds like Snapbridge or the phone is not refreshing location data.
I have the latest versions of software, both on my phone and my camera and the phone settings for Snapbridge are set to allow location data to be synchronized and updated with high accuracy. My phone updates the gps information in other apps - AllTrails, Google maps, for example - so I believe that the Snapbridge app is not updating the location which makes the app not the best for automatically adding accurate gps info to my photographs - ah well, the app is free and I guess you get what you pay for!
Thanks for your reply,
Best...Alex

Thanks fulltimewanderer
I'll be interested in your observations.
Well ???? Went out this morning and shot from the north end of the launch field probably didn’t move more than 10’ in either direction. The GPS coordinates did change but, got back to the campsite ( about a 1/4 mile away) took another shot got the same coordinates as the last shot from the launch field. Guess this will require some additional pictures.
Thank you JTPotter

Hi JTPotter and Al Wyman
Revisiting my old thread.
I read the FAQ from Foolography's web site and noticed they were talking about up to one second delay on shutter activation.
Wondering if you have noticed if this is actually happening.
Shooting BIF and action a one second delay would be a major concern.
Thanks,

I haven't noticed it as I shoot primarily landscapes and am on a tripod using LV. When I shoot hand held I'm using the viewfinder and not the app. I think I'm seeing higher battery usage but that may be a function of using LV more and older batteries ( some from my D800 days). What I will say though is that being able to change all settings from my phone is great. One down side is that if you want gps data, you have to have cell coverage but this would be the case with any app (snapbridge) that uses your phone for location data. The only way around that is to use a dedicated gps unit like a DiGps. I'm finding that when i'm in some parts of northern Vermont the cell coverage is pretty spotty so no data but I'll give that up to be able to control my camera from my phone.

Another option, if you use Lightroom Classic: First, make sure your camera's date & time are correct. Then, start recording a gpx track on your phone (or watch, or other device) when you go out shooting.

Then import that gpx track into Classic's map module while viewing the shots from that particular outing and have it auto-tag everything, almost perfectly accurately.

Back