Grand Canyon IR Pano

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

JAS

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Here is a seven shot handheld pano from the Grand Canyon on our October trip. Shot with 590nm IR converted camera and processed in LrC, PS, Nik Suite, PL6 and NEXT to achieve various outcomes. I like to shoot IR, but have a long way to go to get better and will keep at it!

GCIRPano.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Wow, that's very nice Joe! And hand-held? Impressive. I have an IR-converted D200 that I need to get out more often, I just really need to learn the nuances of post-processing IR images!

Reactions: JAS
Wow, that's very nice Joe! And hand-held? Impressive. I have an IR-converted D200 that I need to get out more often, I just really need to learn the nuances of post-processing IR images!
I use a basic approach I learned in a class with Vincent Versace a few years back. First I take the shot in Nik Suite Color Efex Pro and do a little tonal enhancement and a small amount of detail inccrease. Then I go over to Silver Efex Pro and pick and choose to get the effect I am looking ofr. Finish up with a little detail enhancement in NEXT. There are many other pathways out there, and I would like to learn others, but this one owrks for now.

Thanks for the workflow, guess I'll have to look into more software? The basic tutorials I'd read talked about swapping red and blue channels in PS (or in my cheap-a$$ world, GIMP), but I haven't quite gotten the look I've wanted.

Reactions: JAS
Thanks for the workflow, guess I'll have to look into more software? The basic tutorials I'd read talked about swapping red and blue channels in PS (or in my cheap-a$$ world, GIMP), but I haven't quite gotten the look I've wanted.
I use the IR to get to a broader range of greys in my images and many times, it just doen't work. I do delete most of whatI shoot and look for the few (really few) that give me what I am looking for. I have tried the channel swapping and did not care for the results.

Nik Collection 5 works as a standalone and there is a free trial (nikcollection.dxo.com for $149 - not cheap)

Back