Grass eating bears of Khutzeymateen, BC

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

jmurthy

these Grizzlies love eating the protein rich Sedge grass that grows in abundance in the estuary. An occasional black bear was spotted sharing the valley with the grizzlies.

the last image is a stack of 10 consecutive frames fired off at a high shutter speed to freeze the active bear. Images stacked in post, in an attempt to create ‘ wispy ‘ waterfalls.
DSC_7704_DxO-ON1-01.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
_KUT7633_DxO-ON1-04.jpeg
_KUT2284_DxO-ON1-06.jpeg
_KUT8721_DxO-ON1-03.jpeg
_KUT6106_DxO-ON1-03.jpeg
_KUT4637_DxO.jpeg
_KD46835_DxO-ON1-05.jpeg
_KD46614-ON1-07.jpeg

these Grizzlies love eating the protein rich Sedge grass that grows in abundance in the estuary. An occasional black bear was spotted sharing the valley with the grizzlies.

the last image is a stack of 10 consecutive frames fired off at a high shutter speed to freeze the active bear. Images stacked in post, in an attempt to create ‘ wispy ‘ waterfalls.
View attachment 64160View attachment 64161View attachment 64162View attachment 64163View attachment 64164View attachment 64165View attachment 64166View attachment 64167
Spectacular Shots! Everyone is really impressive. I got nervous just looking at them wondering how close you were to them . Well done👍👍👍👍

Nice set of images. That is one huge black bear. People don't realize how much grass bears eat. Both brown and black bears. It is really the staple of their diet during summer. Even during the salmon run they will eat several fish then head to a grass patch to finish filling up and take a nap.

Nice set of images. That is one huge black bear. People don't realize how much grass bears eat. Both brown and black bears. It is really the staple of their diet during summer. Even during the salmon run they will eat several fish then head to a grass patch to finish filling up and take a nap.
Thank you! and yes, eating grass was their main agenda especially having just come out of hibernation. The size of the black bear probably earned its respect among the grizzlies, which i was told cannot coexist close together.

Wow!

What wonderful animals in a superb environment:)

TFS:)

PS can I ask, what sort of trip was?
Did you stay in the area or was it a day trip by boat,?

FWIW a holiday in BC has sort of been on our bucket list of once in a lifetime trips. But COVID got in the way of oh so much......so no idea if we will be able make sort of holiday let alone the costs!?

Wow!

What wonderful animals in a superb environment:)

TFS:)

PS can I ask, what sort of trip was?
Did you stay in the area or was it a day trip by boat,?

FWIW a holiday in BC has sort of been on our bucket list of once in a lifetime trips. But COVID got in the way of oh so much......so no idea if we will be able make sort of holiday let alone the costs!?
this was a trip to Khutzeymateen grizzlybear refuge accessible only by water, located in British Columbia. I was with oceanlight adventures who have extensive experience as bear guides in the area. The sanctuary can only be accessed at high tide thro the waterways of the estuary. you never step on land during that trip. the experience was like none other.

this was a trip to Khutzeymateen grizzlybear refuge accessible only by water, located in British Columbia. I was with oceanlight adventures who have extensive experience as bear guides in the area. The sanctuary can only be accessed at high tide thro the waterways of the estuary. you never step on land during that trip. the experience was like none other.
Thanks for the reply and information.

Much appreciated 👍

@jmurthy Can I ask if this is the tour company you used?
no not that company. they also operate in the area but because they use larger boats, they cant reach many places we went to.

this is the company

Back