Great Gray Owl Futility

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

mrt

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I got to spend two hours and forty-five minutes with a GGO hunting a field from many different perches. He is probably a male looking for voles to bring to his lovely wife and owlet brood. Unfortunately for all of them, despite many attempts, he failed to provide. You can't help but feel sorry.

DSC_5570-Enhanced-NR-2.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
DSC_5575-Enhanced-NR.jpg
DSC_5496-Enhanced-NR-Edit.jpg
DSC_5512-Edit.jpg
DSC_5306-Enhanced-NR-Edit.jpg

Thanks very much Rich. Upon reflection, he was probably so tolerant since he was so desperate to feed the family.

The bird may not have been successful but you certainly were. It worked out better for you that he hung around and kept switching perches. If he'd caught something he'd have probably just taken it home and not come back.

The bird may not have been successful but you certainly were. It worked out better for you that he hung around and kept switching perches. If he'd caught something he'd have probably just taken it home and not come back.
True, but you gotta feel sorry for the folks back home. I did feel lucky to not have him freak out because I was there.

Great series, congrats. There is a photographic/philosophic issue for me with the final image. That is, I would have used context-aware fill to get rid of that bit of vegetation under the bird's chin. I know we photographers differ re our philosophy regarding such details.

Great series, congrats. There is a photographic/philosophic issue for me with the final image. That is, I would have used context-aware fill to get rid of that bit of vegetation under the bird's chin. I know we photographers differ re our philosophy regarding such details.
Thanks GrandNagus50. I appreciate your feedback. I actually liked that piece of vegetation. It emphasizes how low he's flying and it almost looks like he's headed for it. Generally, I agree about distracting details, and do make an effort to get rid of them, so philosophically I think we're on the same page.

I got to spend two hours and forty-five minutes with a GGO hunting a field from many different perches. He is probably a male looking for voles to bring to his lovely wife and owlet brood. Unfortunately for all of them, despite many attempts, he failed to provide. You can't help but feel sorry.

Nice attempts -- but you were just off of the line of glide path.

It is easier of the birds are bred in captivity and trained to fly to bait -- try lying down in front of the handler or very close to them or where they place the bait -- you want to be at eye-level or below. AND even then the Owl will rarely fly directly over you. Z9 images........

20220427 - 150224 - _Z902031 - NIKKOR Z 70-200mm f-2.8 VR S -¹⁄₁₂₅₀ sec at ƒ - 3.2 - ISO 2500 ...jpg

When perched Owls are endlessly looking around or attracted to the noise or sight of something that might attack them - this means having to use a high fps to catch them just at the moment they are looking at you

20220427 - 152515 - _Z902960 - NIKKOR Z 70-200mm f-2.8 VR S -¹⁄₅₀₀ sec at ƒ - 2.8 - ISO 720 - ...jpg

Nice attempts -- but you were just off of the line of glide path -- try lying down in front of the handler or very close to them or where they place the bait -- you want to be at eye-level or below. AND even then the Owl will rarely fly directly over you.

View attachment 63261
No handler, no bait, high grass (very wet), tons of mosquitoes, and a fence around the field. You get what the owl gives you. But I agree, lower is often better.

Last edited:
Back