Great Gray Owls

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have decided to make the trek to try and get some images of these guys at Sax-Zim Bog and was wondering if anyone had any tips to finding and photographing them? I am currently using a Nikon D850 and have a 500pf 5.6 and a 600 f/4 along with a steady tripod so I'm sure that will go along way of having the right equipment. It's not my first redo with wildlife but it's my first finding and photographing them. Anything would be helpful since I know very little about these guys but I'm learning more and more reading and studying them.

Hi Robert,

That's a great combo for the owls, especially the 600.

I live in Minnesota and have gone there for about 10 years a few times each winter and in summer too.

A couple of things:

Check out the information online at Friends of Sax Zim bog; they have a FB page, and a helpful page for planning the visit too: https://saxzim.org.

Your best bet is early and evening; owls are often seen along County Road 7, and McDavitt and Admiral Roads, just scan the tree tops. You can also stop in at the Welcome Center along Owl Ave. starting December 1st.

It is wonderful for other birds too at feeders; evening grosbeaks are relaible each morning until about 10 am at Mary Lou's feeders, a private resideance (her neighbors across the street are mean so just ignore them).

The welcome center will clue you in on what is being seen, but the best help is to get the "Messgner" app - you can download it, and load it in your iphone; on it people report in real time what they are seeing, so leave it open as you drive about the bog.

For lodging I like to stay in Cloquet; it's about a half hour from the bog, and has a few good places to stay at.

Great grays are residents, but as we get into winter sometimes more birds show up for the winter. I have not heard of snowies yet. Hawk owls usually show up too in the bog and are a diurnal bird so you can see them more during the day.

Really it's just about patience and driving slowly and frankly looking for the pulled over vehicle too or photographer looking up at the tree(s) :)

I hope to get up there in early January and then a time or two after that.

Kim Risen is also a wonderful guide who I've worked with if you'd like to have someone to be a second set of eyes and he knows the area well.

Best of luck!
Paul

Thanks Paul for all the information I have been ready a lot about it as well. I hope to get some snowy owls as well, among the others that you mentioned. I have a friend or two that have been going up the last couple of years. My buddy and I will be going up probably the second week of January so maybe I will see you around if your there. So what kind of gear gloves, and boots do you wear to keep you warm? Are you standing out in the cold a lot or just a bit close to your car?

Thanks Paul for all the information I have been ready a lot about it as well. I hope to get some snowy owls as well, among the others that you mentioned. I have a friend or two that have been going up the last couple of years. My buddy and I will be going up probably the second week of January so maybe I will see you around if your there. So what kind of gear gloves, and boots do you wear to keep you warm? Are you standing out in the cold a lot or just a bit close to your car?
Hi Robert,

When I go it depends on the weather. It is always cold but if severe polar outbreak, as in highs below 0 F often means owls and birds are hunkered down. The ideal winter day is teens and 20s.

For keeping warm, bear in mind you may stand a lot by your tripod. You see an owl and that is great but a flight shot is even greater. So for me I like a pair of photographers gloves where you can slip off the fingertip to expose your fingertip for the shutter. I also like a hat with flaps as the wind is wicked (windy days are also bad for bird photos) but even a puff can be nasty so you can want your cheeks covered. A scarf is nice too to cover your face.

A good pair of boots is nice too and you may consider two pairs of socks; toes get cold quick.

Again weather varies widely though and teens and 20s are “comfortable” and you may not need as much, but if here and you need to go out as you dont live here and that is your travel plans, make sure to bundle up when its cold.

Best of luck and I hope to be there too maybe about that time.

All the best,
Paul

The only great gray owls I've even been lucky enough to find and photograph were given away by a couple of angry robins scolding them at dusk. I had hiked most of the day searching for owls and would not have discovered them without the assistance of the robins. It was too dark for good photos that evening, but upon return the following morning two owls were located in that same stretch and thankfully were very cooperative subjects.

I recall learning at a lecture once that GGOWS tend to prefer a point at the margin of a hunting field that jets out from the rest of the tree line so that they can survey both directions.

Best of luck and I hope either of these tips may come in handy! Finding and photographing those mystical birds remains the highlight of my Washington birding experience.

I think youll likely see one if you come; they are incredible for sure. And hopefully a hawk owl is around. For me the coolest bog bird was a cooperative boreal owl a few years ago. Its a great place.

Great Gray Owls are certainly the goal however if I can get images of others wildlife I'm always happy with that as well. It seems like a lot of time not looking out for something means you run across the other. Thanks for all the information I apricate it.

Hi Robert,
I don't know the bog of which you speak, but I live in Southern Oregon where there are probably upwards of twenty GGOWs nearby. Hopefully some of these observations about our local owls apply to the bog you plan on visiting.

I go out looking with some frequency. I like early mornings since the light only gets better as the morning goes on. Owls here can be active for a couple hours after sunrise. They're large and need several small mammals a day, such as voles, so they have to hunt. Finding the right meadow at the right time is key. Think lucky. I like to cruise from meadow to meadow and hang out for a bit scanning the edges and looking for activity. This time of year they're quiet. In the fall the female owl heads off to her favorite vacation spot and the male hangs out with the young owl, and does the bulk of the hunting while the juvenile makes begging calls from a nearby tree, making them a little easier to find. In the winter they're both hunting. During nesting season the male does the hunting for the female, himself, and the owlets. He's very busy. GGOWs like to hang out in dense timber during the day, but hunt in early morning and evening from stumps low to the ground, fence posts, downed trees, short trees, and from within bigger trees maybe 20-30' up, on the edge of meadows.

_8501219-Edit-Edit.jpg_8508677-Edit.jpg_8505439-Edit.jpg_8506503-Edit.jpg

They also cruise silently several feet off the ground. They have excellent hearing, and can find prey under snow and dive in head first for the kill. The conical shape of their face lends to their exceptional hearing, and bony plates in their facial disk allow them to take the hit. They're very efficient.
DSC_1300-Edit.jpgOwl6.jpgOwl8.jpgOwl10.jpg

I have some GGOW collections on my website at mrtk.smugmug.com

They're a spectacular bird. Enjoy your trip.

Like Paul, I live in MN and have been photographing great gray owls at the Sax-Zim Bog since the early 1990's before it was little more than a research site frequented by university students and their professors. I got my start photographing owls here when I was a graduate student in biology working for the Bell Museum. My first successful image was of a hawk owl diving for prey. Back then I used manual focus cameras with air-bulb traps and short telephotos.
The digital era has made capturing dramatic images of owls so much easier. I actually find that snowy days are the best days at the bog. While the snow messes with your AF, the addition of falling flakes creates a moody environment that is often lacking in some images of owls. As Paul indicates, if the weather is between 15 and 25 deg F you will find some active birds. If it drops below zero, you may find them perched higher in trees or near tree trunks. If the snow has an ice layer, which often appears following an unseasonal melt, the birds spend more time in the forest where the snow continues to be a bit fluffier.
Maintaining your own capacity to thermoregulate is critical. While people often shoot from their car window, your best images will occur if you are out of the car and thus exposed to the elements. Merino wool is your friend, and I suggest that you invest in a good base layer of socks, legs, shirt, and gloves. The wool will wick your sweat and keep you warm. Find some thick pants (flannel-lined) and a down parka for your torso... I've been using a Canada Goose Parka prior to the fashion trend... mine looks beat to snot, but it still keeps me warm.
Gloves are tough... I generally wear thick mittens with my wool base underneath. I shoot with the wool glove liners but keep chemical warm packs in the mittens. Finally, good boots matter. I wear boots that are rated to -40F. Cold hands and cold feet will inhibit your ability to withstand the temperatures. Finally, I have found that working slow and accepting that you will miss some photos will increase your ability to make the most of your shooting experience. The bog is cold and the shooting can be challenging, but the good photos you make will be worth the time you invest.
cheers,
bruce

Last edited:
Like Paul, I live in MN and have been photographing great gray owls at the Sax-Zim Bog since the early 1990's before it was little more than a research site frequented by university students and their professors. I got my start photographing owls here when I was a graduate student in biology working for the Bell Museum. My first successful image was of a hawk owl diving for prey. Back then I used manual focus cameras with air-bulb traps and short telephotos.
The digital era has made capturing dramatic images of owls so much easier. I actually find that snowy days are the best days at the bog. While the snow messes with your AF, the addition of falling flakes creates a moody environment that is often lacking in some images of owls. As Paul indicates, if the weather is between 15 and 25 deg F you will find some active birds. If it drops below zero, you may find them perched higher in trees or near tree trunks. If the snow has an ice layer, which often appears following an unseasonal melt, the birds spend more time in the forest where the snow continues to be a bit fluffier.
Maintaining your own capacity to thermoregulate is critical. While people often shoot from their car window, your best images will occur if you are out of the car and thus exposed to the elements. Merino wool is your friend, and I suggest that you invest in a good base layer of socks, legs, shirt, and gloves. The wool will wick your sweat and keep your warm. Find some thick pants (flannel-lined) and a down parka for your torso... I've been using a Canada Goose Parka prior to the fashionable trend... mine looks beat to snot, but it still keeps me warm.
Gloves are tough... I generally wear thick mittens with my wool base underneath. I shoot with the wool glove liners but keep chemical warm packs in the mittens. Finally, good boots matter. I wear boots that are rated to -40F. Cold hands and cold feet will inhibit your ability to withstand the temperatures. Finally, I have found that working slow and accepting that you will miss some photos will increase your ability to make the most of your shooting experience. The bog is cold and the shooting can be challenging, but the good photos you make will be worth the time you invest.
cheers,
bruce
Thanks Bruce for chiming in and all the great information. I started following you on Instagram as well.

Last edited:
Photographing Great Grey Owls at Sax Zim Bog was one of my most memorable experiences. Used a guide to help locate and was very lucky to find: (Upload failed?)

Last edited:
Hwy 7, east side of the road, about a few hundred yards south of the greenhouse is a great spot. Otherwise hwy 7 between Zim rd and Arkola has a lot of sighting too. Lots of sightings on Admiral Rd north and south of the feeders and the same area on McDavitt straight west of there. The area around the welcome center is hit or miss for GGO. Stone Lake rd used to be good until a few years ago people started mobbing the owls and now sightings are very sparse. Make sure to park on the east side of hwy 7 only, not the west side. That's according to the sheriffs office as of last winter. Never park in the direction against the flow of traffic. Never park in the road, always watch your rear view mirror and pull over for traffic well ahead of time if you're driving slow and looking for owls. It's technically illegal to park on the side of the highway, but the local Sherriff let's it slide due to the money tourism brings so you don't want to be one of the people that pushes it too far and ruins it for everyone. If you see the plows coming when you're parked, move your car. They will not go around you and will have to have the sheriff come out to tell people to move if they don't move themselves. You'll see the director of the bog mentioning these things about every week on the facebook pages and the messaging app during the winter, to get people to try to comply with local laws and common courtesy.

DO NOT take the road that connects Admiral and McDavitt north of the feeders. Getting stuck there will cost you a few thousand to get out according to the local tow truck companies. Macs Towing is the closest to cover the bog. Ditches are very steep, usually at least 3 feet, if not 4 or 5, so don't pull off too far BUT you have to make sure to pul off far enough so as not to block traffic lol.

If you shoot form your vehicle and it's warm inside the heat shimmer will ruin all your photos. So either plan on staying outside for all shooting, and keep your heat off and plan to shoot from your vehicle. We usually keep the heat on between locations and then roll down the windows to let out all the heat as we get closer.

I just googled Cloquet because I've never heard of it and it's actually about 45 minutes from the south end of the bog. That is pretty much the same drive from Duluth, Virginia, and Hibbing. Aside from Alesches Accommodations which is in the bog and fills up fast and Eveleth, you're going to be driving about 45 minutes from anywhere else. Lots of choices for lodging and dining in Duluth, you just have to stay on the northwest side and it's 45 minutes to the edge of the bog. The super 8 in Eveleth is about 20 minutes from the area of hwy 7 you'll be interested in. These times are from google, so that means right now. With snow and ice on the roads all drives will be a little longer. Temps are usually be low zero in January and February so bring plenty of clothes, hand warmers and foot warmers are great. Wear multiple layers. Last year my windshield washer fluid rated to -30 froze on the windshield lol. I had another pic of -35 but must have accidently deleted it.

BCG-073112.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
Invest in very warm boots and wool socks! Insulated underwear and snow pants to block the wind is a must! I prefer good mittens with a heat pad in them and go bare hands when shooting. I have lived in Minnesota for over 35 years and even I get cold up there!

Taking shots from the car suffer from very bad heat distortion See Steve’s video on the subject! It is often VERY cold up there in January. Anything above zero wou;d be a “warm spell” ! The only lodging in the Sax-Zim Bog is Alesches Accommodations. A+ place to stay, but there are no restaurants close so you need to do your own cooking. You are right in the Bog area. Make sure your gas tank is full before you get there. There is a very Minnesotian dinner in Cotton and gas. Plan on lunch there and fill up.

You camera gear is perfect, bring extra batteries in that they don't last long in the cold.

When you bring your gear in for the night keep it in your bag or case until it warms up. Do NOT leave it in the car all night!

Some images from last year: https://www.andrewlamberson.net/saxzim

One thing I'd add too is to make sure to download the app "telegram," and look up "Sax ZIm Bog Sightings." Its a real-time messenger app where people there report what they are seeing; i keep it running when I am driving around the bog, and will report what I see too. Extremely helpful.

Bib type ski pants are great and post Christmas they will be selling at a discount. I make sure my cold weather boots are large enough for thick boot socks and allow for plenty of circulation in my feet.

One thing I'd add too is to make sure to download the app "telegram," and look up "Sax ZIm Bog Sightings." Its a real-time messenger app where people there report what they are seeing; i keep it running when I am driving around the bog, and will report what I see too. Extremely helpful.
There are similar type groups on teleguard too. Teleguard is newer than Telegram and privacy focused too unlike the Russia owned Telegram.

In terms of keeping your feet warm, having multiple pairs of merino wool socks is awesome. The boots I wore were 10" Oboz Bridger Insulated boots and they are a key piece of my cold weather gear. Excellent waterproofing and very warm. Fantastic winter boot for anyone that does snowshoeing or winter hiking as well.

Hey Padre - on my first trip to Sax Zim, someone mentioned the telegram app. So I downloaded it, but if I type in what you suggested, I get "No Results". Am I using the wrong app?

Hey Padre - on my first trip to Sax Zim, someone mentioned the telegram app. So I downloaded it, but if I type in what you suggested, I get "No Results". Am I using the wrong app?
A later reply said "There are similar type groups on teleguard too. Teleguard is newer than Telegram and privacy focused too unlike the Russia owned Telegram."

BTW for everyone in case you didn't notice.. this thread is from 2022 so I'm assuming the OP already had his trip. Although it would be great to hear how it went! :)

Back