If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

cr_wildlife

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I commented in a recent post that I am on the Board of Directors of the Macaw Recovery Network, an NGO headquartered in Costa Rica that is dedicated to parrot conservation. One of their initial targets for conservation intervention is the Great Green Macaw, Ara ambiguus. This species is listed as Critically Endangered on the IUCN Red List with fewer than 2500 birds in the wild. Thus, I was delighted to see this active nest in the Sarapique region of Costa Rica on my recent trip. I have included two images, one showing the parents on the edge of the nest hollow, and the other to show the unusually large size of the opening into the hollow. Most parrots nest in tree hollows, but the opening is usually just large enough for the adults to squeeze through. In this case, the opening is huge, but this pair has been using this site successfully for some time.
Z91_8301-Edit-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
Z92_7342-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Back